Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the NOX2 sensor. I pulled the DEF injector and it flows well. But I am restricted to 5mph (I had to get where I was going) and my NOX2 readings are -0.6% no matter what NOX1 is. I cannot drive it to reset it. I have regenerated twice. I am aware that does not fix this problem. I am out of ideas and I am too proud to go to the dealer. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,199 Posts
Just for reference, what are your NOx1 and NOx2 readings?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right after I replaced them they were NOX1 12.9% and NOX2 10.7%. Now NOX2 stays at -0.6%. It is a new sensor and I haven't driven the car since then.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
What does the percentage relate to? I'm trying to think back to the last time I looked at Biscan, but the readings I always got were in ppm.

Did you have the countdown present when you replaced the sensor?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it was in countdown mode.
NOX1 325.0 PPM
NOX2 199.0 PPM
When I changed the sensor it was
NOX1 277 PPM
NOX2 280 PPM

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Okay - I found my old screenshot I had taken, I see how the percentage relates now.

After I replaced my sensors, on a cold start, they both read about the same, so that does look correct. Based on your before amount, your NOx2 reading didn't look off. This last time our NOx2 sensor went out (last year), it was reading ten times higher than the NOx1 sensor. It also gave us a "Service Emissions Soon", not "Poor DEF Quality", for what its worth. Thankfully, it'd come and go.

The countdown, however, is not something you can get rid of - I believe the dealer has to do that, unless someone has managed to do it manually without paying them $150 to run the "diagnostic". The time before this that I replaced the NOx2 sensor (Feb of 2018), I had to take it to the dealer to run that and clear the countdown.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I was worried about the-0.6%. I guess it is time to pay Chevrolet. I was hoping it would clear itself. I have been in countdown mode before and it cleared itself. I ran the clock too low this time. I am over an hour away from the nearest dealer...Goodtimes!!!

Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Yup - I think it needs a certain amount of time/mileage before it can self-clear. At 5mph, that's gonna take a while, haha.

Not a problem - let us know how it works out, just for reference later on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thank you. I was worried about the-0.6%. I guess it is time to pay Chevrolet. I was hoping it would clear itself. I have been in countdown mode before and it cleared itself. I ran the clock too low this time. I am over an hour away from the nearest dealer...Goodtimes!!!

Thank you for your help.
Is that an hour at 5MPH?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Usually it cleared itself before the 65 mph kicked in. This time I was on my way to work and had to keep going.

**** emissions b.s. The only problem I have with this car is emissions problems. Using ammonia from a plastic jug to spray in my exhaust "to reduce emissions". What a p.i.t.a.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. I have been riding the motorcycle again. I have an appointment in New Orleans Thursday. I think USAA will tow it.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Hey Guys.

Burnzy.. Did you end up getting all the way down to 5 mph and it just cleared!!?

"Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor" is on my dash and I am limited to 55 mph with 35 miles away from 4 mpg (50 miles from dealer). I may have pushed it a little far, too

Before now I have been able to put it in a lower gear and run the RPMs up to like 4200 for 15 min or so and the next day the count down would go away. Not this time.

I have never had or used any sort of scanner. I have always got by with a code reader of some kind, lately Bluetooth to Torque. Does anyone have any experience with this device? Chevrolet Cruze Diagnostic Scanner & DPF Regeneration Tool I don't know if it would benefit me. The add says it can force a regen, I don't know if that might help me

Would a bad O2, NOX, or EGT sensor be causing this? And would a scanner like this help me identify the problem?

I have about 175K on the clock. Have been in for the recalled sensors and a couple others replaced at the same time (thank you, sir. May I have another??) I hate to be at the mercy of the service department. Outside of these crazy DEF problems I have loved this car. Replaced the DEF tank heater twice, both fuel pumps (at different times), water pump and timing belt.

I'm nervous that if I were to get the down-pipe and head in that direction that I would be lost regarding the interplay with all of these sensors. if I did and it were tuned properly could someone other than the dealer clear this countdown problem? Or would that clear out with proper tuning.

THANKS.. You folks have always had experience to share that has allowed me to keep this car rolling while handling all repairs right in my driveway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts