Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Cruze Premier 1.4T.

Very poor mileage. I drive a good combo of Highway and City
Roughly 12700kmon the odometer. Average since have had the Car is 9.5liters/100km (24.75mpg US.
Last 500km driven is at 12 liters/100km (19.6mpg US), physically verified with mileage driven and fuel used.
Dealer is perplexed, said they don't have a procedure to deal with such an issue. The service manager sent an email to GM, will see what the come back with.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have a question or two.

Average speed? Do you drive aggressively? What combination of driving? AC? If you have the AC on a certain setting, it won't auto stop at lights. If you're a manual, you don't get that auto stop already. Do you remote start it?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,123 Posts
Wow that is rough. I have a Gen 1, drive like there's no tomorrow :D and get 25.1 avg. (If you're from my insurance company, Just kidding :th_angelsmiley4:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've noticed this too. Right when I got back in town I had to get the recall done and I also got a new job closer to my university so I'm driving really short distances now. Like 40-50/week. On the one hand I'll now fill up every 3 or 4 weeks now

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Cold weather, short trip driving, like errands within 1-5 miles of home, I get like 24-25 mpg. I think the 30 mpg rating is a little optimistic - at least, in my city driving.

Get it out on the highway and keep it below 70, and you can touch 40 easily.

Strangely, my 2012 1.4T with a manual almost never dipped below 30 even with the same driving and similar shift patterns.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The Premier is automatic only. Are you using the remote start feature? If so stop using this and watch your MPG rise dramatically.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't use the autostart very much. Also this is one of two cars we have. 2016 Malibu with the 1.5T is phenomenal on fuel consumption no issues with that car. The dealer questioned my driving style and I mentioned to them the previous car was a 2013 Cadillac ATS and I was getting better fuel mileage from that car than the Cruze, roughly same driving patterns as far as distances, city and highway combo. This last week weather a little warmer so start/stop working again averaging about 10 liters/100km, mostly highway driving. Still not the economy I was expecting, especially with what the Malibu has shown. Will see what the dealer gets back with.

·
17,486 Posts
No I don't use the autostart very much. Also this is one of two cars we have. 2016 Malibu with the 1.5T is phenomenal on fuel consumption no issues with that car. The dealer questioned my driving style and I mentioned to them the previous car was a 2013 Cadillac ATS and I was getting better fuel mileage from that car than the Cruze, roughly same driving patterns as far as distances, city and highway combo. This last week weather a little warmer so start/stop working again averaging about 10 liters/100km, mostly highway driving. Still not the economy I was expecting, especially with what the Malibu has shown. Will see what the dealer gets back with.
That is interesting. They are essentially the same engine (Malibu is slightly longer stroke). Does the transmission behavior seem drastically different between the two?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
For what it is worth, i have a 2016 premier and live in canada. The auto start ran for about 2 days so far and hasnt since being -11 or so. On the highway my car is doing 5.8-6.0 per 100 at 103-105 kph and the tank average is a 7.6 per 100 with city and highway. This is while using the heated steering wheel and butt warmer. 400 km or so on the tank and only 900 km on the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive my 2016 Premier Cruze like I stole it, averaging 17-19MPG on most tanks (90% city driving). That includes pedal to the floor acceleration under most conditions, on a car with 4,500 miles - using the remote start frequently.

Under the exact same driving conditions, my 2013 Cruze 1LT w/ 6-speed manual would average 22-24mpg (90% city driving).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No the drive on the Malibu and cruze are completely different. The engine is much torquer on the Malibu. Dealer still waiting for an answer from GM. Sorry to say really disappointed in this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got no where with dealer so far, they have been wasting my time. Called GM service line they are on the case.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
What do you expect the dealer to do? You're driving the Cruze the exact same way you drive the Malibu. Normally not an issue, but you're expecting a smaller motor to accelerate you at the same rate as your old Cadillac or your current Malibu, and it's working harder to do that, thereby using more fuel.

·
17,486 Posts
What do you expect the dealer to do? You're driving the Cruze the exact same way you drive the Malibu. Normally not an issue, but you're expecting a smaller motor to accelerate you at the same rate as your old Cadillac or your current Malibu, and it's working harder to do that, thereby using more fuel.
The 1.5T Malibu should, theoretically, return very similar MPG to the Cruze, should it not? They're similar curb weights and power to weight levels.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The 1.5T Malibu should, theoretically, return very similar MPG to the Cruze, should it not? They're similar curb weights and power to weight levels.
1.5T Malibu returns similar mileage to the Cruze, yes, but I think he's driving the Cruze more aggressively to return the same performance as his other/old vehicles. The Malibu does have a slightly beefier bottom end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I expect them to take this seriously, not just brush it off and have a dumbfounded look and not gave a dam. GM customer service was not happy the way the dealer has handled this so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check tire pressure, If it is too low it can cause lower fuel mileage. Usually nothing extreme, but could be a contributing factor. Other things have been said already, cold weather, using the AC, short stop and go trips etc. Id recommend going out on the highway and see what you average.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to add to everyone else's great advise, my gas mileage took a dump when I installed my winter tires on the car. I went from a combined city/highway of 7.5L/100km to 8.2

My understanding is that this is because the rubber is much softer and rolling resistance is high compared to the OEM tires.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts