Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 2LT with a little over 78,000 miles on it. I've had it since July 2015 and I'm the second owner. I've put about 60,000 miles on it since I bought it.

Last July, I didn't get it in for an oil change soon enough and when I was driving down the highway one morning about a mile from my destination, the low oil warning came on, so did the fan, and the engine went into its reduced-power mode. Got to my destination, parked, and later that afternoon, I put oil in, BUT I overfilled it. I took the car to my dealership. They did an oil change, replaced the water pump (covered under GM special bulletin), serpentine belt, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, turbo oil line seal, water outlet and bypass hoses, and the thermostat. All told, an $1,800 repair and I thought I'd be in the clear.

Until recently...

A couple months ago, I started noticing white smoke coming from the engine area after the car was shut off. This never happened while driving, and there has been no loss in power. Coolant temps and levels have all been normal. So last week I took it back to the dealership for my first oil change since the summer repair. I put about 6,000 miles on the car in between oil changes. Now they're saying I need a total turbo replacement and a new engine oil cooler. I feel like something must have been done wrong for me to need similar types of repairs in a seven-month span, averaging less than 1,000 miles per month. What could be the problem here? My dealership says they can't do anything for me. Are these the actual problems, or is this service department trying to gouge me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2012 2LT with a little over 78,000 miles on it. I've had it since July 2015 and I'm the second owner. I've put about 60,000 miles on it since I bought it.

Last July, I didn't get it in for an oil change soon enough and when I was driving down the highway one morning about a mile from my destination, the low oil warning came on, so did the fan, and the engine went into its reduced-power mode. Got to my destination, parked, and later that afternoon, I put oil in, BUT I overfilled it. I took the car to my dealership. They did an oil change, replaced the water pump (covered under GM special bulletin), serpentine belt, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, turbo oil line seal, water outlet and bypass hoses, and the thermostat. All told, an $1,800 repair and I thought I'd be in the clear.

Until recently...

A couple months ago, I started noticing white smoke coming from the engine area after the car was shut off. This never happened while driving, and there has been no loss in power. Coolant temps and levels have all been normal. So last week I took it back to the dealership for my first oil change since the summer repair. I put about 6,000 miles on the car in between oil changes. Now they're saying I need a total turbo replacement and a new engine oil cooler. I feel like something must have been done wrong for me to need similar types of repairs in a seven-month span, averaging less than 1,000 miles per month. Mike Cross of AutoGuysLand reviews what is the best synthetic oil. If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand for more info. What could be the problem here? My dealership says they can't do anything for me. Are these the actual problems, or is this service department trying to gouge me?
Do you think about oil leaking somewhere as bad valve cover or at engine block so it produces white smoke?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you seeing a little smoke or a lot of smoke? It sounds to me like you have a minor coolant leak somewhere, and the coolant is dripping onto a hot surface of the engine bay when you park your car after a drive, creating the smoke you're seeing. It is possible that the leak is small enough that you wouldn't notice a drop in coolant level in your system right away. White smoke is generally an indicator of a coolant leak (oil smoke has a blue tinge to it, although it may be difficult to tell the difference at first). I suggest stepping outside of your car after parking and taking a good whiff over by your hood to confirm what is leaking. If it is in fact coolant, then you can look around for wet spots and determine where the leak is coming from.

Based on what you wrote here: yes, it does sound like you are being scammed by the service department of this particular dealership.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts