Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT on Wednesday. The battery voltage when I got it was floating at 14.8 v. Then every day after that been dropping .1 to .2 a day. Now on Saturdays ripped from 14.1 to 12.6 v. Should I get new battery or alternator and where can I order good parts from that are reliable

·
Registered
553 Posts
No, under normal conditions the charge is controlled by the computer and you have a current coil that monitors the charge, read this post:
https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/current-sensor-on-the-cruze.185714/
However... I had major issues with it on one of my older Cruze and I ended up disconnecting it so the alternator was always charging to 14.2 - 14.7V. It functioned like that another year until I sold that Cruze. Currently I have 2 Gen1 Cruze, different years and both are having different behavior but charging is ok at the end of the day so no need to interfere :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,224 Posts
Just got a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT on Wednesday. The battery voltage when I got it was floating at 14.8 v. Then every day after that been dropping .1 to .2 a day. Now on Saturdays ripped from 14.1 to 12.6 v. Should I get new battery or alternator and where can I order good parts from that are reliable
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Your alternator will charge the battery and also power the vehicle as you drive so the battery stays at full charge. The battery is really for starting the car only although it is setup to supply power when the vehicle is off for other items.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
its a fuel saving alternator, its not like old fashioned alternators

1 - 6 of 6 Posts