Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started researching on the 2017's and test drove one today. Initial impressions are kind of mixed. I "thought" I was settled on a new 2017 Fiesta ST. Small car with lots of HP and torque with a 6 speed manual. Lots of fun. But it is "small". I have a good discounted price lined up but I wanted to try something else and started looking at lightly used Cruze models. I drove an LT Hatchback and again, kinda mixed feelings. No manual, less HP and Torque, kind of "numb" feeling. It felt solid for sure, but something feels weird. Most notably the automatic tranny and how it behaves and the steering.

I'm sure a test drive is not the end all be all though and thankfully I got to go alone without a salesman yammering in my ear. I mainly focused on ride quality, acceleration and steering. Ride quality is really quite nice. It doesn't feel like the small car that it is. Acceleration is decent but, again, it just feels weird. Hammering it and then letting off it just feels like it's coasting...weird sensation. I'm sure all the funkiness jumping from a V6 05' Escape and all of it's quirks didn't help. I'm used to a rough ride on A/T's and stiffer suspension. My Escape is actually quite fun and nimble for a small SUV.

Any which way I could spend all night trying to sort my 10 minute test drive and write a book but I'd like to hear from actual owners and their experiences. This car is geared toward maximizing fuel efficiency and feels that way. I've had a 2nd gen Honda Fit and a KIA Forte 5 for recent HB's. My last new vehicle was a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. I've owned a first gen Mazda Miata as well a 3rd gen. This car just feels "Different". It has the feel of solidity and hunkered down weight of the Cherokee...it feels like quality. But then it behaves like no other car I've driven. I need to take it for another test drive on a canyon road and I think I'll be able to do that...and hopefully sort my driving impressions and whether or not it's a long term deal.

Sorry for rambling semi incoherently but I really like the comfort of the interior and the body design. I think it's a good looker as well. For some reason I just have a problem with GM LOL! Might be my rattle and squeaks that developed early on with my 92' Sierra after 5 or 6 thousand miles.

I want to like this car...

As an aside, my driving consists of a daily commute 16 miles one way with a mix of freeway and surface streets. I like canyon roads and go to Big Bear quite often. It needs to be able to handle camping gear. This car needs to handle well in the mountains and be able to pass slow pokes going uphill with ease. I just don't know if it's "that car"...

I have my Honda CBR650F for fair weather adventures...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe there is a Cruze with 3 pedals and burns oil which will be a better fit. I have one. It's not FiST sporty. But it will zip around commuter traffic in town or on the hwy.

That said, I have a buddy with a FoST. The interior is super nice and looks like it is from the future. He's done a little work to it. And it'll embarrass a few mustangs on a road course.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
If ride quality is what you're after, a LT is what to look at. The handling on the squishy sidewall tires leaves a lot to be desired. If you're after an automatic anyway, take a Premier for a test drive. The ride becomes stiffer, the car has a rear twist-beam suspension, and it goes around corners a WHOLE lot better. The steering is still extremely, extremely numb, but it is a quicker ratio steering rack on the Premier.

The auto transmission tuning and power can be "improved" with a simple tune.

The manual transmission in the Gen 2 is simply awful. Numb, huge gaps between gears, clunky, poor engine tuning...ugh.

I don't know that I'd compare my Cruze to a GTI, Fiesta/Focus ST, etc...but it's a decent, comfortable, reliable daily driver that gets great MPG and can get out of its own way when you ask it to.

Not that it counts for much, but we've got a V6 Escape in the family too. Spunky little crossover, but the Cruze will take it from a stoplight ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read this post after I decided to look at a Premier :th_coolio: Local dealer has a 2017 CPO sedan in black on black. Not my first choice in colors but the price is right and it's real perty...my Cherokee was black on black as well so I'm used to dealing with the color. And yes, the premier has the stiffer rear with 17" wheels so I'm glad I dug around a bit more and got some input here.

Thanks folks!

M

If ride quality is what you're after, a LT is what to look at. The handling on the squishy sidewall tires leaves a lot to be desired. If you're after an automatic anyway, take a Premier for a test drive. The ride becomes stiffer, the car has a rear twist-beam suspension, and it goes around corners a WHOLE lot better. The steering is still extremely, extremely numb, but it is a quicker ratio steering rack on the Premier.

The manual transmission in the Gen 2 is simply awful. Numb, huge gaps between gears, clunky, poor engine tuning...ugh.

I don't know that I'd compare my Cruze to a GTI, Fiesta/Focus ST, etc...but it's a decent, comfortable, reliable daily driver that gets great MPG and can get out of its own way when you ask it to.

Not that it counts for much, but we've got a V6 Escape in the family too. Spunky little crossover, but the Cruze will take it from a stoplight ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny you should mention Premier :laugh: That's what I drove home today! Black on black premier sedan...I'm digging it! Now I have to drive back to dealer and pick up my Escape!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts