Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this and it seems to have worked fine and my trans fluid is way cleaner.

1. Put car on level surface.
2. Pull just the center plug/bolt from the trans. The part where when the trans if full it overflows.
3. remove fill cap in top.
4. start car move through gears with parking brake on and foot on brake.
5. slowly pour replacement fluid through fill hole with car running. I don't know rate just slow enough that your in equals about the same as out, you don't want it to fill up to fast. I did 2 gallons saving 1/2 quart
6. when done last of fill let car drain extra till none comes out.
7. shut off and replace drain center bolt.
8. add the last half quart and close fill hole.

let me know what you guys think but I feel this is safe as long as your car is level and the fill level tube is in place to keep car from pumping dry. As the new fluid is added it is all pumped together with excess being bled out thining out the old fluid through the whole trans not just whats in the pan. Also running through gears every half gallon will get the passage fluids too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I tried this and it seems to have worked fine and my trans fluid is way cleaner.

1. Put car on level surface.
2. Pull just the center plug/bolt from the trans. The part where when the trans if full it overflows.
3. remove fill cap in top.
4. start car move through gears with parking brake on and foot on brake.
5. slowly pour replacement fluid through fill hole with car running. I don't know rate just slow enough that your in equals about the same as out, you don't want it to fill up to fast. I did 2 gallons saving 1/2 quart
6. when done last of fill let car drain extra till none comes out.
7. shut off and replace drain center bolt.
8. add the last half quart and close fill hole.

let me know what you guys think but I feel this is safe as long as your car is level and the fill level tube is in place to keep car from pumping dry. As the new fluid is added it is all pumped together with excess being bled out thining out the old fluid through the whole trans not just whats in the pan. Also running through gears every half gallon will get the passage fluids too.
Is there a transmission cooler line you removed? I think that is how they usually do it to empty out the old fluid using the cooler line.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Is there a transmission cooler line you removed? I think that is how they usually do it to empty out the old fluid using the cooler line.
Well, what he is saying is to keep pouring in new fluid while the old fluid is running out of the fluid level tube. That accomplishes the same thing as detaching a transmission cooler line. As long as you are changing gears it should run out all of the old fluid. And on these cars, I recommend NOT touching the transmission lines. They are notorious leakers.

I actually think his method is a neat idea as long as the fluid you are adding doesn't just pour right off the top of the sump.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,125 Posts
From what I recall, if you were to turn the car off before replacing the check plug, fluid would just dump out the open hole...because it's on the bottom of the sump. The super-specific spec for trans fluid level is to have it running and dripping at a rate of roughly one drip per second (like I said...totally specific...), then put the check plug back in, then turn the engine off, then add your 0.5qt/L of fluid and put the fill plug back in.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I was thinking disconnecting the lines. Have a tub full of fluid for suction line and another tub for the drain line.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a separate trans cooler with modified lines but trust me this way is way easier to do than anything else I have run across. The lines are a pain to disconnect and honestly the more you mess with the connectors they are likely not to seal. I am actually making a stainless steel adapter from the trans to AN fittings, then you would just put AN fittings in the cooler. My lines rusted out totally

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was thinking disconnecting the lines. Have a tub full of fluid for suction line and another tub for the drain line.
Yeah that's how you usually do it. 2 tubs, the new fluid pushes out the old stuff through the cooler line.

It seems that the way the OP did it, it would just mix around inside the case while dripping out the weep hole. Not really a flush.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an option for those that don't want to do the trans cooler lines. Most people drain the trans pan then refill and drive the car... repeat three times. This method will do the same thing without having to open the car multiple times. If you do it slow enough, not flooding the pan enough to just poor out the hole, it should dilute the old and new fluid running through the trans in the direction of being cleaner. Using 2 gallons got all my trans fluid pretty clean. If you want do 3 gallons for even better results, if you use the Valvoline it is not that expensive to do. This method you can do with no mods and it seems to be the same result as fabricating up a way to connect to the in side of the trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts