Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Over a year ago now I had a CAI on my 2013 cruze (routed down into the bumper) and got caught in a flash flood and let's just say that the cruze isn't good at snorkeling obviously ha. I hydro locked the engine.. I have a 1.4T. Got it towed to the dealership and fast forward a bit, I have a different 1.4T in my cruze now but was able to keep the old engine. The old engine had roughly 47,000 miles on it. I stripped that down to just the block and gave it a deep clean, honed out the cylinders and obviously found the issues. Cylinder 1 (or 4 I can't remember) had a bent rod as well as the piston head had a little bit of excessive wear on the skirt. I ordered a new set of rods (the updated part number through gm), as well as the rings, bearings, and piston head for the bad cylinder. Again, only the bad cylinder got a new set of everything while the other three only got the new connecting rods. Everything else inside the engine looks in good shape believe it or not. There's a small hole in the oil pan but I was waiting until I get closer to putting the engine to use to replace it. It's around $100 new and easy to replace. With the engine assembled and timed it turns over by hand like new. I HAVE NOT hooked this up to any machine or car to test it in actual running conditions. I am at this point now to either save up money and use it for a custom go cart/side by side in the future, or sell it. I don't have any price in mind as I'm only posting this to see if anyone is in need of it. I'm open to negotiation if anyone is interested. I'll provide as many pictures and answers as I can. I will also include pictures of the bent rod that was replaced.

Thanks for your time guys.

Dom

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Cruze 1LT with Tech and Convenience Pkgs.
349 Posts
I just picked up a used engine for $600 from LKQ less than 5,000 miles. It is a full engine minus the turbo. Going into my Cruze this week.

Funny thing is I had the same thing happen back in 14 with my car...Injen intake sucked up water...spent $800 ish at the dealer to get the engine and intercooler cleared out, they did an oil change of course, trans flush, and I needed a new underhood fuse box. That was with less than 20k miles on the car...since them I've been through 2 turbos (just had a new one installed 2-3 months ago) when my engine took a ****. I had the engine overhauled under warranty at the dealer about 5 months ago...ringlands took a a **** and they replaced the pistons and all the seals on the engine along with the timing chain. Right after that is when the turbo went and right after the turbo, the engine went. Nothing but problems. Hopefully the new low mileage engine is the answer, if not, it's time to ditch the car.

EDIT: And the old engine will be stripped down before it's returned for the $100 deposit...so it's going back essentially as only a block and head...nothing else.

I have a feeling that my original engine had issues in the cylinder walls and that's what caused the issue...hoping the replacement is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts