Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Potential Cruze owner. Anything to know?

1089 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  iTz SADISTIK
Hey guys, no stranger to Chevrolet (see sig) but haven't played with a Cruze much.

My best friend and his girlfriend are looking to sell their 2012 Cruze LT in a couple months to get her a GT Mustang. My girl needs/wants a newer ride and my buddy said they'll take what's owed on the car, which is about $11K, or about $10,250 by the time they sell.

It has 71,000 miles, non smoker. Interior needs a good cleaning but doesn't look like anything permanent done. My buddy has done all Mobil 1 Synthetic oil changes ahead of schedule, it just got a new battery, and the radiator was replaced under warranty. It needs a wheel speed sensor but he's supposed to be replacing soon.

Anyways, sound decent? What are the common issues with these cars, if any? Anything to look out for? Just want to put her in something that will be relatively trouble free for a little while. I drove it a little today. Seems to run great, drives straight, showing 35MPG average over the last tank of gas. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Thanks a bunch fellas.

Here are a couple pics.

And my whip for good measure :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Nice ride.

Well the good thing is you know your friends and how they treat their vehicles. If the blue book is more then they'll owe then it would be a good deal but, and this is my personal opinion...
If I'm already going to spend 10k for a car, I would just spend the extra 3-6 for a new/er one with very low miles.

· Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I skipped over the "common issues" part (I think I have a filter for that). Make sure you look into the current recalls to see if needs any taken care of. They've had it for that long, I would assume they don't have any issues with odors, but I would ask them anyway. They would describe it as coolant smell or feet odor.
Also that model has a timing chain so no worries there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice ride.

Well the good thing is you know your friends and how they treat their vehicles. If the blue book is more then they'll owe then it would be a good deal but, and this is my personal opinion...
If I'm already going to spend 10k for a car, I would just spend the extra 3-6 for a new/er one with very low miles.
I skipped over the "common issues" part (I think I have a filter for that). Make sure you look into the current recalls to see if needs any taken care of. They've had it for that long, I would assume they don't have any issues with odors, but I would ask them anyway. They would describe it as coolant smell or feet odor.
Also that model has a timing chain so no worries there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Well, she's coming out of a '98 Mercury Grand Marquis (the Grandma Quis I call it) with 150K on the clock and needing a lot of work. Four bad window regulators, bad shocks, no power steering, and failing coil packs, and some leaky valve stem seals, so anything is an improvement. They've had the car for a couple years and I can't really recall them having any serious issues with it past the radiator and the recently failed sensor.

I haven't ruled out a newer one entirely, just looking for something affordable for a 24 year old mom working a lower end job and this little deal is pretty convenient. She thinks they are cute so even if this one isn't the ticket I will probably look at other ones.

Thanks for the input.

· Premium Member
2,125 Posts
at 71K miles any of the normal problems would have likely reared their head by now. Sounds like a good buy. Would highly recommend a better transfluid but that's about it. Car is relatively cheap to mod compared to the Camaro or a Subaru.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at 71K miles any of the normal problems would have likely reared their head by now. Sounds like a good buy. Would highly recommend a better transfluid but that's about it. Car is relatively cheap to mod compared to the Camaro or a Subaru.
That's sort of what I was thinking. At that point it must be in the clear - for a little while at least, lol. I like the little bugger. We have a couple months to think on it. By then the price will be lower too!

Tell me about it. My Camaro is certainly not saving me any money, but rolling through town rowing that TR6060 and listening to that LS3 purr...is awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.