Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been researching my next car purchase for a few months now and thought I'd register here as I'm seriously considering a Cruze. I am currently driving a 2003 Dodge Neon (my wife's college car), and while it is a good car, it's not really my style so I'm ready for change.

My car search so far has been restricted to online forum browsing as I like to get a good feel for potential issues. I am trying to wait to test drive until I'm actually ready to buy as I know that I'll want a new car even more as soon as I drive one.

I have a friend with a Cruze and I was pretty impressed with it. I also like what I've read on this forum. I would like to test drive a few other cars before I decide but so far the Cruze seems to have about everything I want. I mainly want a smaller car that is fun to drive, capable of ~40mpg, and won't break the bank. My only concern is acceleration, but I've been driving the Neon (with A/T) for a couple years so I figure about anything will be an improvement. I drive around 70mi a day for work so having something that is comfortable and quiet is important too.

I'm thinking I definitely want the RS package and either a 2LT or LTZ. I'm not sure I have to have the extra LTZ options. It will more than likely have to be an A/T as the wife is not interested in a manual. I am considering either 2012 or 2013 models with a budget of $15k or so. Are there any advantages to buying a '13 over a '12?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
Welcome to CT. 13 - yes...I would go for a 13 over the 2012. New radio with MyLink (the green monochrome display radio is honestly pretty awful if you want to play anything with your phone), and much less irritating climate fan speeds in the summer.

I think the Cruze will be pretty similar to a Neon in terms of pedal-to-the-metal power, but it should be a lot more spunky in-town without having to constantly rev above 3000 RPM to get anything done.

Don't expect to see 40-ish MPG often from an automatic Cruze unless you drive at 60 MPH everywhere you go - they tend to spend their time in the mid-high 30's range. A lot of people buy these expecting to get 40 MPG easily, then come here disappointed - but that is best left to the MT 1.4/Eco models and the Diesels.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Just from your commute you will want to restrict your search to the ECO MT and the CDT. You won't come near 40 MPG on the highway at anything above 65-70 MPH in any other trim. The ECO MT is between the 1LT and 2LT in trim level and the CDT is between the 2LT and LTZ in trim level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What could I expect with an A/T on the highway then? I get around 32-33mpg in the summer with the Neon running 70-75mph. The diesel looks impressive but is a bit out of my price range and diesel is a dollar or more per gallon (over 87 oct) here in central OH. Thanks.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy well pull the trigger on an ECO and then you will be able to keep cruzen and Best Wishes with yer choice of that new cruzen !

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
My eco automatic....those speeds (70/75) will get high 30's maybe touch 40 if there is no wind......I run maximum sidewall tire pressure and mid range fuel to achieve that.
60 MPH gets me a rock solid 46 to 52 depending on wind on a dry day.....rolling resistance increases in rain.
65 mph knocks me back to about 42ish.
All downhill from there.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robby - those mpg numbers seem pretty good. I go into work at 6am and tend to drive slower when the highways are empty but have a hard time going less than 70/75 on my way home. Does the auto ECO really get that much better mpg than the higher trim levels with auto?

·
17,317 Posts
Robby - those mpg numbers seem pretty good. I go into work at 6am and tend to drive slower when the highways are empty but have a hard time going less than 70/75 on my way home. Does the auto ECO really get that much better mpg than the higher trim levels with auto?
No, that's about standard, he's up maybe 2 MPG from the average LT/LTZ because of the tire pressures for the most part, and then another +1 for the Eco aero package. City driving at the beginning/end of your trip, of course...will lower those numbers by a few MPG more. 100% highway, though...these cars are fantastic on gas.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
Eco is 200lbs lighter than other trims, lighter wheels, low rolling resistance tires, slightly lower ride height, and more undercarriage aero panels to help reduce drag. All of that = better mpg's, however you cannot get an Eco with the RS package. If you're dead set on leather seats you can order them from the factory if I remember correctly, or you can purchase the Katzkin kit and put that on.

·
17,317 Posts
Eco is 200lbs lighter than other trims
It's ~ 90 lbs for the manual 1LT/Eco and a whopping 24 lbs between 1LT auto and Eco AT. Not a huge difference - those numbers got thrown around by the media before Chevy cut the weight from all other models as well.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
It's ~ 90 lbs for the manual 1LT/Eco and a whopping 24 lbs between 1LT auto and Eco AT. Not a huge difference - those numbers got thrown around by the media before Chevy cut the weight from all other models as well.
Eco MT is 200lbs lighter than a LTZ.

·
Registered
491 Posts
kg / lbs

1,403 / 3,093 (LS manual)
1,398 / 3,082 (LS auto)
1,366 / 3,011 (Eco manual)
1,407 / 3,102 (Eco auto)
1,418 / 3,126 (1LT auto)
1,426 / 3,143 (2LT auto)
1,431 / 3,155 (LTZ auto)
1,576 / 3,475 (Diesel)

According to the GM website.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
clhonu05,

How is your search coming along? If you would like for us to locate the vehicle with your preferences, in your area, please let us know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 15 of 15 Posts