Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. GREAT site BTW. I've spent hours researching, but that could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

We're looking at getting a 2011-2012 (hoping for a 2012) Cruze Eco 6speed manual in the near future. We'll be putting a few hundred kms on it during the week (getting rid of my Yukon Denali :sad010:) and was wondering how the manual is on the highway. Do you find yourself downshifting a lot to go up hills at 110-115km/hr (68-72?). I'm not talking about mountains, but the highway we will be driving has lots of dips and such and I know my wife will be grumpy with me if I push the manual on her and she'll need to be downshifting more than usual. ;)
No, I haven't had the chance to test drive one yet. That's on my list.

I've definitely got my blinders on and want the manual over the auto as I want the absolute best economy for bragging rights.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just picked up my 2012 eco today. I definitely had to do some downshifting on some of the steeper inclines, but was pretty impressed overall. Now to check the plugs to see how that goes.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I love my 2012 ECO MT. At the speeds you reported in your first post you shouldn't have to downshift too often.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Since you just got it, if from a dealership, it most likely has 87 grade gas in it. Try 89 or 91, and see if you still have to downshift.
BTW, what was the plugs gapped at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone. GREAT site BTW. I've spent hours researching, but that could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

We're looking at getting a 2011-2012 (hoping for a 2012) Cruze Eco 6speed manual in the near future. We'll be putting a few hundred kms on it during the week (getting rid of my Yukon Denali :sad010:) and was wondering how the manual is on the highway. Do you find yourself downshifting a lot to go up hills at 110-115km/hr (68-72?). I'm not talking about mountains, but the highway we will be driving has lots of dips and such and I know my wife will be grumpy with me if I push the manual on her and she'll need to be downshifting more than usual. ;)
No, I haven't had the chance to test drive one yet. That's on my list.

I've definitely got my blinders on and want the manual over the auto as I want the absolute best economy for bragging rights.
Thoughts?

Thanks!
I took my 2015 ECO 6MT on a 250-mile trip across fairly hilly Missouri terrain with the cruise set to 75 and didn't have to take it out of 6th a single time. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I took my 2012 Eco MT on a weekend road trip and there is no downshifting unless caught in traffic. As Obermd said at your speeds it should be no problem. Only thing you will notice is the instant MPG may fluctuate more on hills, but down shifting no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know! The more I drive the more I love this little beast. What octane would you be running? All my reading makes me want to try 91+ and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Go 91+ octane. What were your plug gaps?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Good to know! The more I drive the more I love this little beast. What octane would you be running? All my reading makes me want to try 91+ and see if that helps.

I only run 91 or higher octane. Anything less and my ECO drives like a slug with a missing foot. Seriously, on 87 octane driving up I-70 west of Denver shortly after I bought the car I thought my clutch was slipping (< 1,000 miles). Turns out the ECU was pulling timing extremely hard to protect the engine from hard core knock. On 91 octane the car doesn't do this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It also depends on the inclines, here in the mountains of NC, I have shifted from 6th to 5th several times to get up an incline at 60-65 mph. And that's in an LT with shorter gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only run 91 or higher octane. Anything less and my ECO drives like a slug with a missing foot. Seriously, on 87 octane driving up I-70 west of Denver shortly after I bought the car I thought my clutch was slipping (< 1,000 miles). Turns out the ECU was pulling timing extremely hard to protect the engine from hard core knock. On 91 octane the car doesn't do this.
I think I'll run 91 now. My guess is the dealership filled it with 87, which is fine, but going up the hills I bet the higher octane would have helped. I'll burn through this tank shortly by scooting around town.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
As soon as you get down to half a tank go ahead and fill it with 91. This will mix and improve your octane - you should see some improvement. Also, we do have a lot of members who run 89 octane as a happy compromise between the cost of 91 octane and the drivability improvements. 91 is really marked up in many parts of the Central US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts