Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am super frustrated, and that is an understatement. I posted here a few times about my 2012 RS and the PCV issue.

So I have had it in the shop twice for the same thing. Replaced so far: PCV, MAF, MAS, O2 sensor, purge valve, oil cap.

I had it out of the dealership for 20 miles this last time and the check engine light popped back on.

My code reader is misbehaving, but there are no less than six codes, all relating to lean bank, MAF, MAS, high idle.

Symptomatically speaking, it is not good. Horrible gas mileage is the least of the concerns. The behavior is strange. At times it "surges" and the RPMs go way up. What's prevalent now is that it is stalling, and it will not idle. If I am not pushing that pedal down, it dies. The dangerous thing is that when I shift into first and give it gas (have to get the RPMs up above 3K or it will usually just stall) it starts to move when I let up the clutch. It's unpredictable as to whether or not it will continue to move. I am giving it gas and it seems like the fuel stops getting through, and nothing happens. It doesn't stall right off the bat, it just lets me press the gas with no acceleration. If I am lucky, it shakes it off and the RPMs climb back up. If not, it stalls. Needless to say I am having to be very careful when leaving a stop sign or something onto a road where cross traffic isn't stopping.

I am in a situation that I can't take my car to a Chevy dealer for repair. I know without question that is the best route to go. I am under warranty through a subprime dealership (young people, take care of your credit and never get in this situation!) and I am forced to take it there. Now that I am on the third trip for the same problem, I am highly suspicious that the techs there have no idea what they are dealing with and don't know how to fix this problem.

What do you think? Crack in the intake? Fuel injection issue? I am at a loss. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
At times it "surges" and the RPMs go way up. What's prevalent now is that it is stalling, and it will not idle. If I am not pushing that pedal down, it dies. The dangerous thing is that when I shift into first and give it gas (have to get the RPMs up above 3K or it will usually just stall) it starts to move when I let up the clutch. It's unpredictable as to whether or not it will continue to move. I am giving it gas and it seems like the fuel stops getting through, and nothing happens. It doesn't stall right off the bat, it just lets me press the gas with no acceleration. If I am lucky, it shakes it off and the RPMs climb back up. If not, it stalls.
Are you playing seek and find with the gas pedal trying to accelerate? Mine wasn't stalling (nor was it a turbo) but it was behaving very unpredictably. I put a new accelerator pedal in it (LUW 1.8) and that cured things for me.

If you've had it in the shop twice now, I assume they would have checked this. OTOH, maybe that's something you can discuss with the service writer, if it could be a bad gas pedal (ie, a bad rheostat). Have you asked them to go for a drive with you so you can show them exactly what is happening?

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you playing seek and find with the gas pedal trying to accelerate? Mine wasn't stalling (nor was it a turbo) but it was behaving very unpredictably. I put a new accelerator pedal in it (LUW 1.8) and that cured things for me.

If you've had it in the shop twice now, I assume they would have checked this. OTOH, maybe that's something you can discuss with the service writer, if it could be a bad gas pedal (ie, a bad rheostat). Have you asked them to go for a drive with you so you can show them exactly what is happening?

HTH.

Doug

Hello from the other side of the Metroplex!

It is sort of like you described, but all of the codes and the crappy gas mileage are pointing it back to the air/fuel thing again. I did not have any problems with this car until it hit 100K and this whole saga started. I think that the techs at the dealership have just been throwing parts at it. I'm not a happy camper for sure. I drive from Alliance to Benbrook every day in rush hour traffic. The way the car has been behaving today, I will be lucky to get it home.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I drive from Alliance to Benbrook every day in rush hour traffic. The way the car has been behaving today, I will be lucky to get it home.
Hello from Plano!

Alliance, the Fort Worth airport? Or the town up by Gainesville (which is quite the haul)?

Either way, good luck getting home tonight, and I hope the shop can find the solution for you.

Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles on your CRUZE, where do you live, where was it sold. This could possibly be covered under your emissions warranty?
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...warranty-and-owner-assistance-information.pdf
It has 106,520 right now, in Fort Worth, TX. I am the second owner. The previous owner was in California. I was able to track down the service history and it was well maintained. Unfortunately I do not have a Chevy-backed warranty. I surely wish that I did!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello from Plano!

Alliance, the Fort Worth airport? Or the town up by Gainesville (which is quite the haul)?

Either way, good luck getting home tonight, and I hope the shop can find the solution for you.

Doug

I work near Alliance Fort Worth. Thank you for the well-wishes! I need all of the luck I can get right now LOL. I will report back once I have it looked at again. I'm taking it in Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
645 Posts
its only dangerous if you drive it...so don't. Could be a multitude of things, post the trouble codes or repair documents....give use something to work with so we can help you. You didn't mention the intake manifold being replaced...has that been inspected to make sure the orange check valve is in there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its only dangerous if you drive it...so don't. Could be a multitude of things, post the trouble codes or repair documents....give use something to work with so we can help you. You didn't mention the intake manifold being replaced...has that been inspected to make sure the orange check valve is in there?
Hi all,

I took the car to the dealership yesterday. They replaced the PVC again. They were not sure why the repair didn't take.

Twenty miles down the road, check engine light.

It is coding P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1.)

The intake manifold has not been replaced.

Now that the PVC has been replaced again, the severe symptoms have gone away. Now it is back to a high idle, and this morning when it was cold, it was misfiring. Needle was jumping everywhere. Gave it some gas, it stopped the misfire, and proceeded to idle at 2K for about 30 seconds before it dropped down to 800. The engine is still surging after shifting in neutral. I did not notice it surging while in gear on my drive to work this morning, though that is what is was doing previously.

I should add that after the last time the PVC replaced that these same symptoms were present the next day.

My dealership has generally been good to me. They didn't charge me for the repair yesterday. I am starting to think, however, that this is a case of "We're dealing with a female, do just enough to get her out of here."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Uuumm, on a 1.4T, The PCV is part of the intake. The intake HAS to be changed to change the PCV, unless they upgraded to XtremeRevolution's external PCV... Which I highly doubt they did.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Uuumm, on a 1.4T, The PCV is part of the intake. The intake HAS to be changed to change the PCV, unless they upgraded to XtremeRevolution's external PCV... Which I highly doubt they did.
youre half right, half wrong...the manifold is part of the pcv system and doesn't always have to be replaced...only if the valve is gone will they replace it.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,981 Posts
Hi all,

I took the car to the dealership yesterday. They replaced the PVC again. They were not sure why the repair didn't take.

Twenty miles down the road, check engine light.

It is coding P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1.)

The intake manifold has not been replaced.

Now that the PVC has been replaced again, the severe symptoms have gone away. Now it is back to a high idle, and this morning when it was cold, it was misfiring. Needle was jumping everywhere. Gave it some gas, it stopped the misfire, and proceeded to idle at 2K for about 30 seconds before it dropped down to 800. The engine is still surging after shifting in neutral. I did not notice it surging while in gear on my drive to work this morning, though that is what is was doing previously.

I should add that after the last time the PVC replaced that these same symptoms were present the next day.

My dealership has generally been good to me. They didn't charge me for the repair yesterday. I am starting to think, however, that this is a case of "We're dealing with a female, do just enough to get her out of here."
You should read and watch these:

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L PCV System Explained

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

GM 1.4L Turbo Intake Manifold PCV Valve Fix Kits

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty
Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Read more at https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The MAF, MAS, O2 have all been replaced. The only thing I can think of is that there is a crack or hole somewhere. Air is getting in there, that's for sure. I think it is reasonable to say that they haven't "smoked" it because if they had, they would have seen the problem. They should have done this after they replaced everything to make sure they weren't missing anything. I'm so annoyed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ally has warrantys that cover the cruz and you can get them at your chevy dealer. i have a 150000 mile 6 year warranty that i got at 45000 miles. 4800 dollars 239 month no deductible , in the last 2 months Ally has paid out 1700 in warranty work. i got the warranty in april of this year. i have 2012 cruz eco metallic ice blue , predator hood . couture body kit. they have all kinds of warranty's so u can chose the one best for u. just make sure your most expensive repair wont be worth more than your car, so if you like get a 3 year warranty make sure your car in 3 years is worth more than say like engine or tranny replacement, chevy finance manager should be able hook u up. read all the fine print

1 - 16 of 16 Posts