Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting my stock 16" wheels powder coated (alloy). There have been some threads lately where the safety of powder coated wheels has been discussed. Some feel that powder coating wheels will weaken the wheel by altering the molecular structure of the wheel due to the heat required to cure the powder coat. I've seen some forums where people say that they have experienced some issues on the track with other vehicles.Just wanted to get some cruze owner's opinion for those who have their wheels powder coat or any experiences they have faced.Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,031 Posts
You're not heating the metal up enough to surpass the recrystallization temperature. Wheels get powdercoated all the time, especially aftermarket ones, this is definitely nothing new, yours will be all good.

·
Registered
645 Posts
youll be fine...just make sure they don't powder the mating surface on the back nor the lug nut holes if the wheels use acorn style nuts or the hub bore. Having powder on these surfaces can cause problems because the powder will crack, fall off and can cause the wheel to be loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.