Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just noticed that my '14 CTD has a power cable in the headlining by the passenger sun visor. It looks like a macro USB cable, but I could be wrong. Anybody know what the cable is for?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Does the CTD have lights on the sun visor mirror? If so it's probably the power for them.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Did you buy the car used or dealer demo? It might be for a dash cam.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it used - one owner. So, it's not standard to have this cable? I'm going to plug in my wife's MP3 into it and see if it charges it, that will tell me if it has power or not.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So, it's not standard to have this cable?
No. It's not in a good location for most customer-supplied electronics. And car makers are not going to use USB for their own stuff - too high a risk of it becoming unplugged.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I bought it used - one owner. So, it's not standard to have this cable? I'm going to plug in my wife's MP3 into it and see if it charges it, that will tell me if it has power or not.
That's an odd location so I'd say it's aftermarket. GM does use USB in the stereo but the USB plugs are wrapped in a physical connector that won't come apart.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
That's where I have my USB cable poking out of for my dashcam. I can't see what else that would have been used for other than some sort of gauge, dashcam or a GPS unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Live Trash,
I'm just curious, what kind of dash camera do you have?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Live Trash,
I'm just curious, what kind of dash camera do you have?
I have it in my signature. Currently though I am running a GS90C as my front facing camera and the G90 is now my rear facing camera.

Here's a writeup I did on how to hard wire it into the car if you're interested: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...3-dash-camera-hardwiring-power-magic-pro.html

EDIT: Just clicked the link in my signature and the product isn't found. I'll put a couple of links here in a second edit to the cameras I have.

EDIT2: G90: https://dashcamtalk.com/g90/
The GS90C is also listed on that page. It's the same physical dimensions and same outer shell as the G90 but different chipset. It runs at higher specs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts