Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here so my apologies if I'm THAT GUY (well, girl) who is posting in the wrong place, didn't search thorough enough before posting, etc.

Ok, I have a 2011 Cruze, and the day before yesterday I got in my car, rolled down the window which made an odd buzzing noise that I'd never heard before, I rolled it down all the way (which I probably shouldn't have done lol) and just before it got all the way down I heard a THUNK. After that, the window wouldn't roll back up. When I try to put the window up, it just buzzes all the way until when I assume it "thinks" the window is all the way up then stops. Meanwhile overnight my car was stuck with the window all the way down :(

So the next day I took off the door panel and sure enough the cables from the regulator were laying at the base inside the door. (Only one side came apart, the other still attached to the window and motor inside the door). There's a plastic clip which holds the wire cable to the piece which is on the metal track and holds the window. That plastic clip which slides up and down the track was broken in two. I superglued that plastic piece back together (just for now, leave me alone ok lol) and reattached it to the track and window. Reconnect the switches, fingers crossed, try the switch, but nope, no movement, just sound. So at this point I was able to push the window up from inside the door, and then I rolled it back down with no problem or odd sound, but again it wouldn't come back up. So I pushed it back up manually, put my door panel back on and called it a day considering it was 113 degrees outside, I was sunburnt to a crisp, and I don't have much patience. Now my problem is, when I'm driving, every bump I hit, the window slides down a tiny bit. by the time I get home from work it's about an inch down, and I push it back up by hand.

My question is, do you think the regulator is just junk and needs to be replaced? Or does the window somehow need to be reprogrammed since the cables came loose? From the looks of it, the plastic piece snapped and caused that side to fall but I don't understand why it won't roll back up now that it's reattached. I think if it was a broken regulator, it wouldn't roll down either, right? I've tried to attach a picture at the bottom of the broken pieces I found inside the door. Any help is appreciated.

Bumper Automotive lighting Hand Auto part Technology

·
Registered
131 Posts
This also happen to my 2011 on Sunday. I picked up a new regulator today and will install it tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
It is likely the motor is broken but not completely lying in the grave yet. Keep in mind that between gravity and the weight of the glass, the motor really doesn't have to do a lot of work when rolling the window down. When you try to roll it up, the motor, is combating both of these two factors and may not have enough juice/strength to do it.

You said you have a 2011; I'm going to assume its still under warranty. If you're not sure... Go check asap before you put too many more miles on her. Let us know what you figure out or if you have more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. And makes sense that it'd be easier on the motor to roll down. One thing I noticed though when I got fed up and threw it all back together, was there was still some slack in the cables, after I pushed the window manually back up. I will take it apart again on Sunday and see if maybe one of the cables has slid off of a pulley inside. Unfortunately the only warranty I have left is the powertrain warranty :/

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Welcome to CT! Never had a problem with my 2011 ECO with regard to window regulators/motors. Now when my wife had a 2000 Olds Intrigue, all 4 window regulators needed to be replaced-motors were fine.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I will take it apart again on Sunday and see if maybe one of the cables has slid off of a pulley inside. Unfortunately the only warranty I have left is the powertrain warranty :/
I know with the Intrigue, the cables would be loose and the regulator was shot. I bought the replacements off of e-bay. They all worked fine until that car was totaled.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Lucky for you Rach, it's one window and the components are pretty cheap compared to the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
My questions is why did it snap?? Press and hold the window all the way and hold for a few seconds then press window all the way down and hold repeat 3 times. That is how most windows are programmed to know its limits.

·
10,711 Posts
If it makes you feel any better my moms 13 Escalade had both the driver and passenger window regulators fail in a year @ 9000 miles

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, I think the neighbors tried to break into it, because When I first got in my car and noticed it one side of the window was slightly down (about half an inch) but the other side was all the way up, almost like it was crooked. Then I rolled it down and it buzzed a little weird but went down fine then didn't come back up. In the picture above is the white plastic clip that was snapped in half and caused that piece to come off the metal track, so I was hoping that was the only problem.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Honestly, I think the neighbors tried to break into it, because When I first got in my car and noticed it one side of the window was slightly down (about half an inch) but the other side was all the way up, almost like it was crooked. Then I rolled it down and it buzzed a little weird but went down fine then didn't come back up. In the picture above is the white plastic clip that was snapped in half and caused that piece to come off the metal track, so I was hoping that was the only problem.
This is why the unlock button is on the center console

Sent from iFail Mobile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power window regulator

I think the motor may be cracked but has not completely stopped working yet. The easiest way to track down the problem is to eliminate the most obvious, a bad fuse or wiring. The steps for fixing Power Windows are arranged in order of difficulty. If one solution doesn't work, move on to the next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so my pass side front window started making a buzzing noise and was very slow to roll up the window. Now today the window just fell down and I cannot get it back up.. My S/O is pullin the door panel to take a look at it today to see what happened.. Has anyone had this happen to them...
My car is a 2011 Cruze LTZ with 75k miles on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar thing happened to me yesterday. Pulled into a gas station and had the passenger side window down (so the passenger would have some air). When I got in the car, tried to roll the window up and heard a noise and the window wouldn't move up at all. Took it to an auto shop and they were able to manually pull the window up, but it wouldn't stay. They are replacing the motor tomorrow. 2014 Chevy Cruze Eco 65K miles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts