Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hot, and what part of your steering wheel, gets warm, or hot? It seems to me, like the only real areas that get hot, are around the spokes. From the 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock, on the wheel, is pretty much ice cold. Even the 5 and 7 positions don’t get more than maybe 70°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
10,712 Posts
How hot, and what part of your steering wheel, gets warm, or hot? It seems to me, like the only real areas that get hot, are around the spokes. From the 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock, on the wheel, is pretty much ice cold. Even the 5 and 7 positions don’t get more than maybe 70°

Older GM it was pretty much the entire wheel but over the years it's pretty much as you describe. This is now true if you have one of those wheels with the wood trim up top in the upper brand models. Last time I seen whole wheel was older Escalade where they only heated the thin wood trim area. The heat isn't much but enough to overcome what a pretty cold interior would feel like.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All it’s really good for, is taking the chill off of the actual wheel. It’s not keeping anything warm.

·
10,712 Posts
I just wear gloves until the car warms up haha
What I already do. Weighted metal shift knob never warms up in winter and hot in the summer.

I just wear gloves until the car warms up haha
Usually in a remote started car, the wheel should be warm granted seats and wheel programs are random depending on the car model. Reason I'm glad my other car has a wheel dial you can roll to keep them on when you remote start.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
My Volt has the same wheel and it pretty much heats the whole thing up.

Reactions: CruzeTech

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
My whole thing heats up I think. Used it the other night.

The surface gets to at least 80*. Not super warm, but enough to be nice in winter.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was driving home, this morning, from work, and turned it on, and the wheel barely got warm, at all. And only at the spokes. The 3 spoke areas usually feel like level 3 on the seats. You can tell they’re on. Today, it just got warm enough to warm the wheel slightly and take the chill off if. It’s definitely been warmer, the last time I used it, which was yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Take the outside temperature sensor out of the bumper and stick it in a tumbler of ice water and see if it works better when it's cold outside?
Would Chevy make the wheel heating that smart?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Take the outside temperature sensor out of the bumper and stick it in a tumbler of ice water and see if it works better when it's cold outside?
Would Chevy make the wheel heating that smart?
No.

Yeah my whole wheel warms up, turned it on yesterday. Gets to about 80-85° or so like I originally thought.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
No.

Yeah my whole wheel warms up, turned it on yesterday. Gets to about 80-85° or so like I originally thought.
Ditto - driving home yesterday I made sure to feel all the areas, and they were all nice and toasty.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I take in for the first service. I will have them take a look at it. I’ll turn it on, when I leave here. The dealer I go to, is about 30 miles away. So, it should be plenty toasty by the time I get there. If it’s not working right. They can gauge it by how long it’s been on. But, it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to come to full temperature.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
When I take in for the first service. I will have them take a look at it. I’ll turn it on, when I leave here. The dealer I go to, is about 30 miles away. So, it should be plenty toasty by the time I get there. If it’s not working right. They can gauge it by how long it’s been on. But, it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to come to full temperature.
Mine takes maybe a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine takes maybe a minute.
And the entire wheel heats up? I just went out to get some breakfast. I was in the car for a total of 20 minutes. Right behind the spokes, is the only place you can even tell it’s on. The top of the wheel is room temp, I like to call it. Maybe 66°

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
And the entire wheel heats up? I just went out to get some breakfast. I was in the car for a total of 20 minutes. Right behind the spokes, is the only place you can even tell it’s on. The top of the wheel is room temp, I like to call it. Maybe 66°
Yup - pretty evenly too, as in, it all reaches "full" temp in about the same amount of time.

I'd wager you just have a malfunctioning wheel heater unit.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, that for sure, tells me there is definitely something wrong with mine. Because anything above the center, doesn’t heat, at all. I originally just figured, that maybe it only heats where you hold the wheel. 9-3. But, apparently, that’s not the case.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Nope, I can hold it up top, on the bottom, anywhere, and its nice and toasty - which, in the Volt is crucial, since that and my seat heater are my primary source of heat (running the HVAC heater drops your range quite a bit).

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, I can hold it up top, on the bottom, anywhere, and its nice and toasty.
Ok, mine sucks, then. And it’s gotten worse. 2-3 days ago, the back of the spokes actually got pretty warm. Like level 3 seat warm. Maybe that was it burning itself out.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Could have been - the rest had burned out, so that is getting all the current, and heating up hotter. Actually, it's possible it could burn you if that's the case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts