Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much extra do you pay for premium?

I can remember for the longest time Regular would be a certain price, mid-grade was 10 cents more than reg, and premium was 20 cents more than reg. I yern for those days. Now that both of my cars run 93 octane and I frequently pay 50 cents per gallon more than regular. About the cheapest I can find is an Exxon nearby with competitive 87 prices that will charge 25 cents more for 89, and 45 cents more for 93. It's not uncommon in my area to find gas stations charging 50 cents more than for 89 and a whopping 90 cents more per gallon for premium.

I also really miss how every gas station used to put the prices for every grade. They used to advertise Reg, Mid, Prem, and Diesel so you knew before pulling in weather or not it was worth stopping.

To answer my own question in a more concise way: I usually aim to pay 45 cents per gallon more for 93 than 87, that's about as good as I can find.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
It is always 40c more for 93 than 87 in the county I live in. Does go up depending on county, never lower. Some places only offer 91 at that 40c premium, so I avoid those.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Registered
253 Posts
It would be less if they would just quit making the mid grade. Regular and premium would be fine. Also premium has gone up over the last few years because more cars are requiring it now, so supply and demand.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
It's 50-60 cents more than 87 here. I hate it. When it's not hot anymore, I usually switch back to 89, which still runs better than 87 and almost as well as 93 and is only 20 cents more.

It would be less if they would just quit making the mid grade. Regular and premium would be fine. Also premium has gone up over the last few years because more cars are requiring it now, so supply and demand.
It's also formulated differently than it used to be. The raw octane providers are more expensive to add than what they used to be; then its diluted down.

Edit: Article I saw on that:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-high-octane-gas-costs-so-much-more-than-regular/

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
30-35 cents more at the station near me. While travelling across country I noticed up to 70 cent differences in the eastern parts of the "Midwest" (Ohio, Indiana, western Pennsylvania).

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,898 Posts
It's 60 cents here. It used to be 20.

The Cobalt runs 93, and now that the exhaust is no longer an open dump before the axle, I've been driving it - and thus, been reintroduced to the extra price I pay for 93. Buying gas is weird as it is now (with the Volt) - having to pay 60 cents more is even more so.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Out here in the desert, the Costco has only two grades: 87 and 91. Currently the difference between the two is twenty cents.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I only use Mobil or shell, no valvoline or BP where I live, I run top tier whether that's 91 or 93 I can't remember, and it's usually 40-50 cents more

I notice the difference in price between regular and premium fluctuates regularly with the prices in general, sometime it's only 35 cents difference when prices are low then 55 cents difference when prices are high

I don't drive my cruze in the winter at all so it sits with 3/4 a tank of summer formula for 5-6 months then a good drive to empty that tank and refilled with a tank of shell vpower and amsoil fuel additive

Sorry for 5h3 lengthy TMI

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Arizona Premium differential seems to follow the rest of the country.

Southern California Premium pricing is still just 20 cents higher than Regular.

However, Regular in Southern CA is WAY higher than the rest of the country and varies widely. Anywhere from $2.79 - $3.29 a gallon (Regular 87 octane).

Just across the border in AZ Regular is $2.33 - $2.39 while Premium (91 octane) runs closer to $3 bucks.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Premium (93) used to be 40 cents more near me until earlier this year when it jumped to 60 cents more. Either way it's all I will run.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
In the old days it was a 4 cent difference, now its 60. Of course it is criminal that the CRUZE requires high Octane during the killer weather. My first Turbo car required midgrade and Onion Oil company (Union or as I knew it Unocal) only sold an 89 grade & a 91 or 93 here in California, and their 89 was priced less than other major oil companies 87. Then overnight it seems we went from a two grade state to a 3 grade state, don't fully understand it (Robby might) and many stations had to add another tank and additional pumps and change their signage. We also had Mohawk stations which had a dial on the pump and offered 7 grades. Canadians might know that name Mohawk as well. How did that work, no one seems to know, did they need 7 tanks and a special refiner, that would be impossible although I can buy Sunoco 103 Octane out here for $9 a gallon in addition to the 3 blends offered, 87,89, & 91 (no 93)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It is the economy and inflation because they have make up losses somewhere else and this is an easy place where they can do it..

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
In the old days it was a 4 cent difference, now its 60. Of course it is criminal that the CRUZE requires high Octane during the killer weather. My first Turbo car required midgrade and Onion Oil company (Union or as I knew it Unocal) only sold an 89 grade & a 91 or 93 here in California, and their 89 was priced less than other major oil companies 87. Then overnight it seems we went from a two grade state to a 3 grade state, don't fully understand it (Robby might) and many stations had to add another tank and additional pumps and change their signage. We also had Mohawk stations which had a dial on the pump and offered 7 grades. Canadians might know that name Mohawk as well. How did that work, no one seems to know, did they need 7 tanks and a special refiner, that would be impossible although I can buy Sunoco 103 Octane out here for $9 a gallon in addition to the 3 blends offered, 87,89, & 91 (no 93)

Is that Shemp on the right? Can't tell, but doesn't look like Curly.

Reactions: Eddy Cruze
1 - 15 of 15 Posts