Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only bring this up because it was mentioned on the "consumer reporting" portion of our local news. Honestly I don't think the guy that started this complaint to our consumer reporter:1)Buys much gas or 2)really pays attention then all of a sudden he looked at his gas receipt and had a flashback to past days when it was only 10c diff between the 3 grades(.79c reg .89c for mid .99c for premium)

Anyway I digress: What is the typical price differential between regular and premium in your area? Depending on the station in Cincinnati, it could be up to 80c So saying regular is 2.25, that means 89 would be @2.65 and premium @ 3.05. This is typical for Shell and BP only bc all the technology required in Shell's "techron" production and the amount of premium being sold/produced. I have noticed this at varying stations also. I have found using Speedway and or Thornton's, there may be only a 30-40c differential and really no performance differential.

Not trying to be cheap as I typically use 92 or better fuel in my car, just wondering what the diff is in you guy's area only bc it was mentioned on the news(if you even use anything other than reg anyway or haven't found the 1.4 runs better with premium)

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
In my area (Toledo-ish), the price between reg and premium is right around the same as what you're seeing. I have found that using Shell V-Power 93 or whatever the Sunoco premium have gotten me the best results. Usually what I see is if 87 is around 2.00, I can *usually* expect 93 to be around 2.60ish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in Canada (Montreal to be more specific) and we deal with liters, I put v-power 93 octane that shell offers, I've gotten the best results and will continue to use it, even tho it is more expensive. Here it's about 1.15/L for regular and v-power is about 1.35/L, It's always about 20 cents-30 cents more.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Wow man. In Halifax, Nova Scotia regular is $0.95/L and supreme (91 oct) is $1.05/L

Those Montreal prices are horrible.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Diesel is $0.87/L aswell.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
At my local Safeway:

85 octane: 2.00
87 octane: 2.10
91 octane: 2.25

·
10,712 Posts
I only bring this up because it was mentioned on the "consumer reporting" portion of our local news. Honestly I don't think the guy that started this complaint to our consumer reporter:1)Buys much gas or 2)really pays attention then all of a sudden he looked at his gas receipt and had a flashback to past days when it was only 10c diff between the 3 grades(.79c reg .89c for mid .99c for premium)

Anyway I digress: What is the typical price differential between regular and premium in your area? Depending on the station in Cincinnati, it could be up to 80c So saying regular is 2.25, that means 89 would be @2.65 and premium @ 3.05. This is typical for Shell and BP only bc all the technology required in Shell's "techron" production and the amount of premium being sold/produced. I have noticed this at varying stations also. I have found using Speedway and or Thornton's, there may be only a 30-40c differential and really no performance differential.

Not trying to be cheap as I typically use 92 or better fuel in my car, just wondering what the diff is in you guy's area only bc it was mentioned on the news(if you even use anything other than reg anyway or haven't found the 1.4 runs better with premium)
Shell is totally like that here since they did the $0.10 off of Nitro when 8 or more gallons is purchased using FRN account.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shell is totally like that here since they did the $0.10 off of Nitro when 8 or more gallons is purchased using FRN account.
Yea they did that down here when they combined with Kroger and offered $0.10 when you buy $100 in a month at Kroger(who's getting what here Kroger or Shell?), I never signed up for their FRN account yet. I really only buy shell when I know I have the discount. Good thing I don't use as much gas as b4(esp. Premium)

·
10,712 Posts
Yea they did that down here when they combined with Kroger and offered $0.10 when you buy $100 in a month at Kroger(who's getting what here Kroger or Shell?), I never signed up for their FRN account yet. I really only buy shell when I know I have the discount. Good thing I don't use as much gas as b4(esp. Premium)
Costco is top Tier and like $2.46 here so I use them in rotation of Shell and BP. I only use 3 stations depending on where I am or headed to.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Costco is top Tier and like $2.46 here so I use them in rotation of Shell and BP. I only use 3 stations depending on where I am or headed to.

I was just thinking about Costco on the way home last night... Kirkland Signature... Actually one of the best fuels I've put in the car!

After looking at Top Tier retailers, Costco seems the way to go. 87 octane (regular) @ 1.81 and 93 (premium) @ 2.23.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
In the Indy area premium is generally 50 cents more than regular, when I had my 14 Eco 6 speed, it ran just fine on regular and I got good mileage when on the highway. I have a old f150 and it runs fine on regular.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here in SE Michigan I'm seeing about a 40 cent difference. Filled up last night (first time with my new Cruze) with 93 at $2.69/gal. Regular 87 was running $2.29/gal. I ran out the full tank from the dealer, which I'm sure was 87 and replaced with 93 to see if it makes any difference. I'm sure it will because turbo cars love higher octane, and my old Saab did much better with premium over regular. Butt dyno this morning says yes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Gas prices at my local Mobil station here in Massachusetts: $2.19 / $2.45 / $2.65. Diesel is going for $2.29.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Doesn't anybody use gasbuddy? I use it all the time to find the cheapest gas. They have an iPhone app. I just checked and gas prices here are typically 10-12 cents per gallon difference between regular-mid-premium.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Doesn't anybody use gasbuddy? I use it all the time to find the cheapest gas. They have an iPhone app. I just checked and gas prices here are typically 10-12 cents per gallon difference between regular-mid-premium.
There are three other stations that are cheaper however, none are Top Tier suppliers and I don't mind paying the extra few cents for gas that claims to keep my engine 19 times cleaner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Would my 2012 Cruze LT benefit from mid-grade or higher? I do know the manual states 87 is recommended. I just got this car and so far I have filled up twice, once at Mobil and once at Marathon. It used to be around here the different grades of gas were only .10 cents apart but the spread is significant these days. At current prices I was filling up for around $30 or so.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The reason you are seeing the huge difference between regular gas and premium has to do with what each grade starts as at the refinery. Higher octane fuel can be at times processed more so it cost more to produce. Reality is though regular fuel is made these days with very cheap low quality 84 octane fuel and the only thing that brings it up to 87 octane is the ethanol they add. Premium grades typically start with 91 octane base stock and if you lucky enough you'll have E10 added to make 93 octane. Average price difference in Wisconsin for premium Is 70 cents a gallon more than regular.

Then you have Company's like Shell and Mobil whom think they need to differentiate their fuels from other brands by making "Super Premium" Fuel. Shells new fuel is Nitro+, its been out about a year, Mobil has only been out a few months with their Mobil Synergy. I will say having run these fuels they both idle smoother and quieter than other premium fuels I've ran in the past. They both do claim some upper cylinder lubricating properties, funny because running Lucas UCL in my 1.4T was the only thing before these fuels that caused this level of smoothness and quite idle.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I was just thinking about Costco on the way home last night... Kirkland Signature... Actually one of the best fuels I've put in the car!

After looking at Top Tier retailers, Costco seems the way to go. 87 octane (regular) @ 1.81 and 93 (premium) @ 2.23.
Costco fuel is cheap for a reason, they buy fuel in bulk but typically on the lower end of the scale. Sure they add their detergent pack, but its necessary because its lower quality fuel. I bought Costco membership just to save some money on fuel since premium averages 70 cents a gallon more than regular here and only 40 cents more at Costco, however after filling up dozens of times in both my Cruze and Sonic I found my MPG to be significantly lower than other top tier stations. I only ran Costco 93 octane I would say I lost 3MPG off my typical averages. Biggest loss was hwy MPG @ 4-5MPG!!!

Based on the mileage loss, I think their detergent pack is a bit heavy on the ethanol. I'm not anti-ethanol, but know when I run 88 octane E15 I see similar loss in hwy MPG compared to typical E10. (cost per mile is much much lower with E15 since its cheaper than regular gas and especially compared to the premium I typically run).

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
We only have 87,89 & 91 Octane and buying the higher grade makes a difference but not 40 cents worth of a difference. When you think about it the CRUZE is a horribly underpowered car no matter what grade you use!
Text Font Line Number Parallel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.