Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am getting ready to buy a 2017 hatchback. I'm a little nervous because my daily driver for the past 18+ years has been a 1992 Chevy Silverado with L98 TPI Corvette engine installed a few months after it was purchased. The truck is very close to 300k and I love it dearly, but I don't have the time for an LS swap currently. I think I'm going to miss the HP and torque. However, I know I'll like the fuel mileage gain and convenience features. Plus, the transition shouldn't be too bad from truck to hatchback. I've already confirmed that my bike will fit in the back with the wheel off. ;)

My only question at the moment (which I'll probably post elsewhere) is if the 2017 has a turbo timer. I read a few threads regarding other years, but I'm curious if there is a definite yes/no to this question for the 2017. It may not be necessary these days, but I'd have more peace of mind knowing it had one.

I'm looking forward to being an active member here! Thanks! :)

-Stephanie

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the 2017 Hatchback! You will certainly enjoy the MPG improvements but not certain about the turbo timer need hopefully someone else will chime in about that.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
Welcome to CT.

No turbo timer. Not necessary. Run synthetic oil and you'll be fine. This isn't the 80s-90s anymore. The cars will siphon coolant through the turbo when turned off, and that provides adequate cooling to prevent damage.

The new Cruzes have a decent amount of torque down low in the RPM range so that they don't quite feel like their engines are as small as they are - and in automatic form, they like staying below 3000 RPM most of the time. They're no V8 replacement, but they at least feel like a 2.4L 4 cyl most of the time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome aboard Steph...

I was in the same boat as you and it is the ONLY reason i ultimately sold my Cruze 3 weeks ago to buy the more powerful Malibu LTZ that has the 2.0L Turbo motor. The lack of power really started irritating me. Gas mileage was phenomenal! I had the 1.4L Turbo motor in my 2014 RS LTZ. It had every single option except NAV and did not have a turbo timer. While the low end grunt was great at getting off the line and getting up to speed, once there, the car just fell flat on its face.... motor was screaming just to gain 5 mph lol. So i had to sell it. I miss the car alot. It was unique, and i had it standing out above the rest in my area with the mods i had on it. Met alot of great people, but i just was not happy with it anymore.

To answer your question on the turbo timer, i have no idea, but i can relate to the disappointment in power you will have going from what you used to drive to a Cruze.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. No turbo timer. Make sure you use a dexos1 full synthetic oil to protect the turbo.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
While the low end grunt was great at getting off the line and getting up to speed, once there, the car just fell flat on its face.... motor was screaming just to gain 5 mph lol. So i had to sell it. I miss the car alot. It was unique, and i had it standing out above the rest in my area with the mods i had on it. Met alot of great people, but i just was not happy with it anymore.
Happily, the new LE2 motor has a lot more grunt to it - and the car lost a lot of weight, which helps too. The old auto Cruzens were quite underpowered out on the highway in stock form.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The old auto Cruzens were quite underpowered out on the highway in stock form.
I'm proof of that lol. I wanted to leave it in stock form as well. Tunes are fun and all, but sometimes they just dont work and cause more issues than rewards. Then again, you don't buy a Cruze for power, at least i didn't, but i was expecting more out of it. My wallet still loved the gas mileage :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Sorry for the delay. All of my free time has been devoted to research and talking to dealership reps. Thank you all for the info. I look forward to being a part of this site! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts