Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a 2015 Chevy Cruze LT. This is my first car with CVT in it and I am still getting used to it. I have heard a lot of good things and bad things about CVT's and was just wondering if you guys know of any preventative maintenance for them to make the car last longer? I hear the newer models are more reliable than the older CVT's, so it being a new car has me hopeful.

I read a thread on here that getting the trans fluid changed at like 20k is recommended be cause not only is the oil from the factory not good but it is not filled totally.

If you guys know any signs to look for in a failing CVT it would be much appreciated. I am trying to make this car last as long as possible.

thank you! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hello,

I recently bought a 2015 Chevy Cruze LT. This is my first car with CVT in it and I am still getting used to it.

thank you!
No Cruze has left the factory with a CVT (at least in the US). Your car, being an LT, has the 1.4T motor with a 6 speed automatic. This is designated as the 6T40. Pretty much every GM front wheel drive car with a 6 speed auto has a variation of this transmission. Congrats on your Cruze!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Cruze has left the factory with a CVT (at least in the US). Your car, being an LT, has the 1.4T motor with a 6 speed automatic. This is designated as the 6T40. Pretty much every GM front wheel drive car with a 6 speed auto has a variation of this transmission. Congrats on your Cruze!
So it is a regular gear transmission not a continuously variable transmission?? it certainly does not feel like it a regular transmission haha if it is then the trans is definitely slipping.

I am trying to learn more about preventative maintenance on cars just to make mine last longer ya know? I had a dodge stratus for 10 years that ran great then one day the timing belt snapped on it and blew the entire engine. Something I could have seen if I checked over the belt.

·
2,254 Posts
I'd love to see a video of what's going on if that's possible. The Cruze is known to have a sloppy shifting transmission, but it holds up fine.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
In the back of your owners manual are two service schedules. Use the severe service schedule. The automatic trans fluid is filled properly - it was the manuals that were half a qt low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love to see a video of what's going on if that's possible. The Cruze is known to have a sloppy shifting transmission, but it holds up fine.
Sparkman, It would be very hard to record it. It is more of a feel kind of thing. I know with the CVT tans they implemented a "fake shifting" to make it seem like it is shifting, so that might be what I am trying to get used to. Seems like going into second gear it slips all the time. I am positive it is a CVT transmission, it feels a lot different than any other automatic I have driven.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the back of your owners manual are two service schedules. Use the severe service schedule. The automatic trans fluid is filled properly - it was the manuals that were half a qt low.
Thank you obermd :). Will follow the severe schedule then. I am pretty familiar with fluid changes but not familiar with the CVT trans, is it pretty easy to change the fluid yourself? or do you need a machine to pump out all the fluid? thank you again!

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
No Cruze has a CVT transmission. It may simply be the way the transmission is programmed. If you believe there is a defect, try driving another vehicle on the lot or simply taking the vehicle in for service. As obermd recommended, refer to your owner's manual for service requirements, and follow the severe service interval.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Usually the failure point on the 6T40 is that the 3,5, R waveplate would break. GM definitely designed that transmission to shift smoothly. Shifting smoothly requires longer shifts, and that is probably what you are feeling. You were probably used to the Stratus shifting faster/harsher. I'm sure if you jump on your Cruze it will shift a lot different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Cruze has a CVT transmission. It may simply be the way the transmission is programmed. If you believe there is a defect, try driving another vehicle on the lot or simply taking the vehicle in for service. As obermd recommended, refer to your owner's manual for service requirements, and follow the severe service interval.
Thank you! I might just take it in for service just to make sure, seeing that I bought it only a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usually the failure point on the 6T40 is that the 3,5, R waveplate would break. GM definitely designed that transmission to shift smoothly. Shifting smoothly requires longer shifts, and that is probably what you are feeling. You were probably used to the Stratus shifting faster/harsher. I'm sure if you jump on your Cruze it will shift a lot different.
You are probably right. I am just not used to it yet. The stratus definitely did shift faster and harder than the cruze. I think I am just going to go to the dealer and have them test drive with with me to see what they think. Something just feels off to me, whether it is me not used to the shifting of the cruze or if its an actual defect.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If the Stratus shifted anything like it's big brother Intrepid it will definitely feel like the Cruze's automatic is slipping. The Intrepid was very, very clear about letting you know it shifted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the Stratus shifted anything like it's big brother Intrepid it will definitely feel like the Cruze's automatic is slipping. The Intrepid was very, very clear about letting you know it shifted.
Thank you! Yeah It is probably just me being a worry wart but I am gonna go to the dealer after work and have them drive it with me to make sure. The lady at the dealer said that is usually how they drive.

Very glad I joined this forum! you guys are so helpful :)

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of great people here that can provide good advice. Congrats on your new Cruze.

Reactions: jmlo96
1 - 14 of 14 Posts