Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Problem with dash display and sound after a jump start

27847 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ChevyGuy
I am having problems with my Cruze after its battery died and it received a jump start.

https://i.imgur.com/M93X73Q.jpg

Any idea's what this could be? The display works for showing time/temp and radio station but no music plays. No warning alerts either or turn signal sound. Also, the display will not show fan speed/climate changes as it previously did. Any ideas what this could be? I do have an extended warranty on the car but I don't think the radio system is covered and I don't want to have to pay a diagnosis fee. Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
The battery died because my wife was sitting in the car without it started. It should be in good shape, it is less than 5 years old.
It very well could be on it's way out. They can fail in as little as 3 years.

I'd suggest disconnecting the battery for awhile and reconnect it. Give the systems a chance to reboot completely.

How did you jump start the car? From a battery pack or from another car? The latter is probably a bad idea for a car as computerized as a Cruze. Electrical junk from the other car could come over and mess with the Cruze's system.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Do you have any evidence to back this up? Ive never heard of this, and from a basic understanding of the electrical systems I have a hard time believing this would be true.
If I still had my '67, I'd offer to come by and jump start you and see what happens. Remember, it's voltage regulator is just a chattering relay. But then "on board electronics" was just a AM radio (with massive filtering on the power leads).

That's an extreme example, but food for thought. What happens if the other car has a bad charging system? Are you willing to risk your car for a jump? OTOH, a battery pack is just a battery pack. No issues there.

From what I've observed, I think the professionals use battery packs. They may not want to risk their truck if the customer's car has a problem.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I'd just disconnect the battery. As long as the driver's door is closed when reconnecting, the only annoyance of the lost power is you're prompted to roll the window down and back up. Even the radio station presets are kept. If you keep things powered, you're not rebooting.

As for how long, I'd say a couple of minutes.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I'd just disconnect the battery. As long as the driver's door is closed when reconnecting, the only annoyance of the lost power is you're prompted to roll the window down and back up. Even the radio station presets are kept. If you keep things powered, you're not rebooting.

If you don't follow my advice to keep the door closed, you may be greeted with a power steering failure message. If that happens, just close the door and try again.

As for how long, I'd say a couple of minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.