Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Problem with dash display and sound after a jump start

27820 Views 22 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ChevyGuy
I am having problems with my Cruze after its battery died and it received a jump start.

https://i.imgur.com/M93X73Q.jpg

Any idea's what this could be? The display works for showing time/temp and radio station but no music plays. No warning alerts either or turn signal sound. Also, the display will not show fan speed/climate changes as it previously did. Any ideas what this could be? I do have an extended warranty on the car but I don't think the radio system is covered and I don't want to have to pay a diagnosis fee. Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Conservative Acoustic Foam
458 Posts
How did you jump start the car? From a battery pack or from another car? The latter is probably a bad idea for a car as computerized as a Cruze. Electrical junk from the other car could come over and mess with the Cruze's system.
Do you have any evidence to back this up? Ive never heard of this, and from a basic understanding of the electrical systems I have a hard time believing this would be true.

458 Posts
Oh, I gotcha. Still, once the dead car has enough charge to turn over and start, you would immediately disconnect anyway...so while they are connected the "host" car is simply supplying 12VDC (more or less) to the battery at a few amperes of current.

Im not arguing that there is some merit to your suggestion, just that I would not jump right to that conclusion myself.

458 Posts
A car is hundreds if not thousands of little computers each running on very precise voltage and currents. When you boost your car your basically creating an inrush of current and voltage, any added current or voltage to such a precise electrical system could cause damage.

There's a reason the pros now use booster packs that have circuit protecting tech in them, and not the old school way with jumper cables.
Your alternator doesn't charge at an exact 12VDC. It varies wildly, and the electronics are designed for that. "Booster packs", if that's a portable charging pack, I believe the main appeal to that would simply be that it's portable. So you can jump yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.