Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a few odd issues playing music off of my USB flash drive.

Before I go any further:
  • Yes, my USB drive is formatted correctly.
  • Yes, all my music is in a valid format (mp3 and wma).
I can play music off of the USB in my car, the problem is that the files on my USB drive are always scrambled, so I can't play an album in the track order. This is fine for my loose songs, but I really want to be able to listen to albums in the correct order. (No, I do not have the shuffle feature on.)

Also, there are selective tracks and artists that I recently added that won't show up. Some of the new tracks I added will play but others are unrecognized. They might be corrupted files, but that is unlikely. I am aware of the 10,000 track limit and definitely don't have nearly that much music on there.

I have not found any other threads with this same problem and would appreciate any help!!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Take the car out of the loop for a moment. Can you play them in the correct order on your PC?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, when I plug my flash drive into my PC everything is normal and the tracks are in order. I even checked to make sure that their track # was correct on the track information. Most of the tracks are also numbered in the song title, but it plays them in a scrambled order, not numerical.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
OK - rules out a problem with the USB stick. Back to the car ... Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
The car will read the file structure starting with the mp3's in the root in ABC order and then it will do the same for each folder. I don't think the car will play playlist files. If it does, make sure you have the correct playlist file format (play list files differ!)

Also, make sure you don't have RANDOM enabled on the stero :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will need to double check, but I believe it is formatted in FAT32.
It is not MyLink.
I have other wma files on there that do play, and some of the files that won't play are mp3.
It also does not play them in ABC order. I do not have playlist files, but I do have folders on the drive in which I put songs to make a "playlist."
Random is not enabled.

I'm totally baffled!!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Please list the filenames, including the numbers of a set of files that don't play in the correct order. Also, what order is this particular set of files playing in? I need to see the entire name (without path) such as

01 Waterloo.wma
02 S.O.S.wma
03 I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do.wma
04 Mamma Mia.wma

You get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Also, I know that if the MP3's don't have proper ID2 info, the stereo won't pick it up unless you go into file browse mode. I have 1/2 of a Disturbed album that won't play because the ID2 tags. So I have to figure out which file I want.

Put the USB drive in your computer and find a file that won't play in the car. Right click on it and go to properties. Windows 7 let's you update the ID2 information so enter title, artist, etc. Save it and then try to play it again in the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please list the filenames, including the numbers of a set of files that don't play in the correct order. Also, what order is this particular set of files playing in? I need to see the entire name (without path) such as

01 Waterloo.wma
02 S.O.S.wma
03 I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do.wma
04 Mamma Mia.wma

You get the idea.
The filenames are pretty standard.

01 Dark Chest of Wonders.wma
02 Wish I Had an Angel.wma
03 Nemo.wma
04 Planet ****.wma
05 Creek Mary's Blood.wma
06 The Siren.wma
etc....

I'll have to check and see about what order they are playing in. I'm pretty sure they don't play in a consistent order. It's as if they're being scrambled each time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I know that if the MP3's don't have proper ID2 info, the stereo won't pick it up unless you go into file browse mode. I have 1/2 of a Disturbed album that won't play because the ID2 tags. So I have to figure out which file I want.

Put the USB drive in your computer and find a file that won't play in the car. Right click on it and go to properties. Windows 7 let's you update the ID2 information so enter title, artist, etc. Save it and then try to play it again in the car.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with no luck. I did notice that some of the songs I added recently were showing up now. It's almost as if after indexing a few times it finally caught them? I don't know. That doesn't make sense. I still have no solution to the scrambled album problem, but I'll wait and see if the rest of my currently missing songs show up.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Your file names are formatted correctly for "in-sequence" play. Most of these systems do "in-sequence" by sorting the file names alphabetically. I was half expecting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... 9, 10,... in which case "10" would play after "1" and before "2".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your file names are formatted correctly for "in-sequence" play. Most of these systems do "in-sequence" by sorting the file names alphabetically. I was half expecting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... 9, 10,... in which case "10" would play after "1" and before "2".

Right. I'd considered that, but they play in a different scramble each time. The random feature is most definitely off, and I can't find any setting or anything on my USB drive that could explain it. I may just reformat the drive and try again. I was really hoping that someone else had the same problem.

Could it possibly be a glitch in the stereo? That's a long shot, but every now and then when I'm using the controls on the steering wheel to turn down the volume it will randomly switch the input or switch to the next song without me touching the knob.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
What happens when you turn the random on and then back off while playing? Does your stereo then start playing in order?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Again, I suggest you verify the information in the ID2 tags. If the stereo plays based on the tag data then that explains it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right. I'd considered that, but they play in a different scramble each time. The random feature is most definitely off, and I can't find any setting or anything on my USB drive that could explain it. I may just reformat the drive and try again. I was really hoping that someone else had the same problem.

Could it possibly be a glitch in the stereo? That's a long shot, but every now and then when I'm using the controls on the steering wheel to turn down the volume it will randomly switch the input or switch to the next song without me touching the knob.
I think it daoes have something to do with the radio.....I have "almost" the same issue, but with my cd player. It will read the tracks and titles on all of the songs,,,except the first 2 songs and track1 and track2 shows up instead of the artist and title. I tried different cd's,,,and all are the same,,,it will read artist and title on all of the songs,,except the first 2 songs. Bottom line,,,Tracy here put me in touch with a person at GM regarding this problem, and after confirming the issue with the GM engineer,,,they said that they will be coming out with a firmware update,(seems like there are several issues)...well that was June on this year,,,,so far,,,no firmware update,,,and nothing the dealer has heard......just another BS from the factory,,,as usual!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts