Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son drives a 2014 1.4. He called me friday saying his temp gauge spiked. When i got to the car there was no fluid in the resivior and antifreeze was everywhere around the pump. No problem, i got this. Changed it out yesterday, easy enough but i am concerned. I can't get the thermostat to open. what confuses me is the temp stays at 195degrees noted with temp gun, not the gauge. I ran the car for 20 miles yesterday and it still didn't open, or go above 195. the temp gauge reads 185. How do i get the thermostat to open so i can properly fill the system? Am i missing something? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
198 Posts
I believe the thermostat is controlled by the ECM.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,427 Posts
Was the thermostat replaced or just the water pump?

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,336 Posts
So my son drives a 2014 1.4. He called me friday saying his temp gauge spiked. When i got to the car there was no fluid in the resivior and antifreeze was everywhere around the pump. No problem, i got this. Changed it out yesterday, easy enough but i am concerned. I can't get the thermostat to open. what confuses me is the temp stays at 195degrees noted with temp gun, not the gauge. I ran the car for 20 miles yesterday and it still didn't open, or go above 195. the temp gauge reads 185. How do i get the thermostat to open so i can properly fill the system? Am i missing something? Thanks!
Purge the cooling system of air. Make sure both of the temp sensors are working properly.

Some of the following links may help:

Post in thread 'P00B7 - ECM Code Reader'
Post in thread 'Chevy Cruze engine swap'
Post in thread 'bleed air from coolant system'
Post in thread 'Coolant issues - Title missing'

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Did the dealer perform the work and change it out for free?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If the thermostat wont open wouldnt you have a overheating issue? Did you check radiator hose temps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the thermostat wont open wouldnt you have a overheating issue? Did you check radiator hose temps?
That’s what i thought and why I’m so confused. Temp gauge in car reads 185. Laser temp on pump reads 205. Inlet to reservoir reads 190, hose off thermostat reads 100 which is the ambient temp under the hood. So, not overheating but not opening. I’m stumped

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,427 Posts
Yeah it’s not opening and needs replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,336 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
change the thermostat once the coolant level goes down the thermostat will start to rust due to no coolant and heat and will get stuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Late to the party, but....

If the system is properly bled of air, the reservoir is up to full, the temp gage is at 185, you're reading no more than 195 with an external gage, the pump housing is no more than 205, and it isn't overheating, the stat isn't opening because it doesn't need to. It is cycling some coolant by design when the stat is closed, which seems to be enough for the conditions. The heater core is also a radiator, as is any component exposed to any cooler temp. If the stat was broken or stuck, you'd not know it until it overheated or came close, or the ECM sets a code stating such. That doesn't mean the stat doesn't need to be replaced, only that there is no indicator of it with what you've stated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts