Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
341 - 360 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
I have a Racer-X manifold I could loan you for a short period if you deem it necessary to actually see one.
I have a Racer-X manifold I could loan you for a short period if you deem it necessary to actually see one.
That's very kind of you! I may take you up on that offer once I get the block in the car. I'll need to figure out how long of a runner I can get away with, plus with the added size of the plenum, before it's too close to the firewall / other components.

I've actually reached out to RacerX and sent over my designs for a quote, or to see if they're interested in partnering up on a custom manifold build. I've already put in the time, designed the flange, plenum to runner, and throttle body flange to accept the LSJ throttle body... They don't seem very interested at the moment. I may also reach out to ZZP to see if there's a way they would sponsor, or be willing to partner on producing parts for this platform. We'll see how it goes, but something tells me it'll have to be a proof of concept kinda deal before I get their attention... even though I have pretty close to the same amount of subs as they do on YouTube lol.

I was really looking forward to producing my line of parts for the 1.8 platform, but with the way things are going with the EPA cracking down on "emissions defeat devices", it may only be a pipe dream as I'm not willing to put time into a new company to be hit with a fine and a cease and desist. Any how... check this out...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 · (Edited)
Manifold Design Update:

Over the holiday weekend, I spent a little time designing the manifold flange, runner to plenum flange, as well as a throttle body flange that'll work with the LSJ throttle body.

Fun fact, the LSJ throttle body is the same size opening (57mm) as the stock 1.8, BUT the opening is a little larger. However the LSJ throttle body doesn't have all the PCV and coolant passages

Attached are 3D models of the flange, which accepts the standard 11m injectors, the runner to plenum, and LSJ throttle body flange.

I spent a lot of time taking measurements, printing clear film, lining things up, and tweaking. I've used Sketchup in the past to do just personal projects, and think they came out decent in the program. I did however have to pay someone to convert those files to a STEP file for CNC machining...

I've also spent a lot of time researching and reading Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Great read even though some of the EFI tech is outdated, but the engineering fundamentals are spot on.

Sadly, I've started getting quotes, they are ridiculous. I've been quoted on average $1,300 to do one intake flange, around $600 for the throttle body flange, and $800 for the runner to plenum flange... which was a real kick in the pants. So now I'm looking to having it made overseas, which I'm not thrilled about, but this is a budget build and I'm not trying to spend close to $3k on a one off prototype.

At this point, I may have to go the laser cut / water jet route and use a cheap Harbor Freight router to get the radius's I need for sufficient air flow transitions...

More to come...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
831 Posts
Looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Good news. I found a company overseas that'll CNC the parts for pretty inexpensive. $381 to be exact. I was just about to pull the trigger on laser cut parts, but luckily they were pretty affordable (Unfortunately not based in the US..). It'll take about 3-4 weeks before they're complete.

In the meantime, I have been working on the plenum design. Once the parts come in, and the engine is in the car, I'll be able to determine how long the runners will be. @Blasirl how long are the runners on the RacerX manifold?

On another note, I talked to the machine shop and the engine is supposed to be ready today, but I won't be able to make it in time to pick it up, so that'll have to wait until next week. No biggie.

More to come soon.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,936 Posts
Good news. I found a company overseas that'll CNC the parts for pretty inexpensive. $381 to be exact. I was just about to pull the trigger on laser cut parts, but luckily they were pretty affordable (Unfortunately not based in the US..). It'll take about 3-4 weeks before they're complete.

In the meantime, I have been working on the plenum design. Once the parts come in, and the engine is in the car, I'll be able to determine how long the runners will be. @Blasirl how long are the runners on the RacerX manifold?

On another note, I talked to the machine shop and the engine is supposed to be ready today, but I won't be able to make it in time to pick it up, so that'll have to wait until next week. No biggie.

More to come soon.

View attachment 293278
I have been over the top busy and will be for the next week, but I will see if I can measure it up for you. From where to where do you want me to measure?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
I have been over the top busy and will be for the next week, but I will see if I can measure it up for you. From where to where do you want me to measure?
I appreciate it. Whenever you get a chance. From the top of the flange that mates to the head, to the base of the plenum.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
I love when things go smoothly! The CNC parts are finished, and ready to ship. They sent over a couple pictures, and they look absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to get these things in.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
The plenum came in a few days ago. Was a little pricey, but hey… made in ‘Merica…

I’m looking forward to working on this.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
831 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this in the car. Nice work.

Reactions: Crewz

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,936 Posts
I love when things go smoothly! The CNC parts are finished, and ready to ship. They sent over a couple pictures, and they look absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to get these things in.

View attachment 293459 View attachment 293460
Oh $#!+, I measured this and now that I am on the computer again, I can't remember...punching in reminder on phone...a **** thing anymore!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Oh $#!+, I measured this and now that I am on the computer again, I can't remember...punching in reminder on phone...a **** thing anymore!
LOL, I know the feeling. No rush, because I'm sure I'll still need to install the engine in the car and double check everything before I give it a final weld.

341 - 360 of 374 Posts