778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
What do you guys think of the intake design? Looking for feedback

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,103 Posts
What do you guys think of the intake design? Looking for feedback

I would consider cutting the outside return of the bell mouth or at least lowering the profile of it by pulling it toward the outside when you finally make the thing. And just looking at the crush on the cardboard, Could you not just add another facet at that corner where it crushed? It looked like it was going to fit, but I could not tell obviously. If you would have removed the bell mouth and let the hood close all the ay it would have been more telling.

It felt like I was chewing my feet saying that!

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
Good point! I'll have to do that when I get back around to taking it on as a project. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
The engine is finally back from the machine shop!!! After 14 months of waiting, it's finally time to start putting this thing together.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
850 Posts
Looking good

Reactions: Crewz

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Short block ready. I got the wrong ARP studs. They were about an inch too short, so I'm having ARP send me the correct ones. Then the top end will come together.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
She's coming right along!!! Fully build boosted 1.8 soon!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
So close! Yet so much more to do still. Almost there gang!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Update. At the moment, I have clearances for piston to head checked. They're right in the ballpark, but I'll have to "make" a custom head gasket. I've reached out to a few companies, and surprise, surprise, unless it's a LS... they don't have the tooling to make a one off gasket. I've reached out to Cometic, as well as SCE.

I have a custom shim on the way I had cut at sendcutsend.com to give me the clearance I need. Compressed stock gasket is .025". It's a MLS. The middle shim is a .006" flat steel shim that's coated. The plan is to cut out the rivets, remove the middle shim, place the .030 shim I had cut from CRS, coat it with copper spray sealer, and bolt her down with ARP head studs. That's my best fighting chance.

The piston sticks out the hole .038". There is .032" clearance / quench pad in the combustion chamber. With the added shim, that'll give me a squish of .043" clearance which is ideal. Piston to valve clearance will check out at; Intake = .0297”, Exhaust = .0263”.

Did a timing check, and everything lines up just fine after a few turns of the crankshaft, so we should be good there. VVT angles to be adjusted on the dyno to see what it likes.

All part of the little details that go into engine building, boosted or not.

Gas Paint Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal
Wood Audio equipment Steering wheel Gas Automotive tire
Gas Personal protective equipment Machine Auto part Event
Font Flooring Material property Rectangle Art

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Last set of checks before this thing goes together and is ready for the first start!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
She's up and running! Need to fix the leaking rear main seal... ugh, but another mile stone.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Getting this thing sorted out! The break in fluids look great. Now time to get after finishing up the intake, charge piping, exhaust, and intake!

361 - 376 of 376 Posts