Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did that before I started welding until I was blue in the face. These Sch 10 fittings are tough as nails. You'll see in the video.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here ya go gang... Making the turbo manifold... well, to the best of my abilities and with my limited tools.

·
Registered
324 Posts
DO You have some 90° LARGE clip pliers to clock your turbo?
C clip pliers - the ones I have. They work well. Harbor Frieght pliers wont cut it. Your manifold is looking great! Did you think about making several pie cuts out of the left over tee parts to fill in around the turbo flange corners where the gap is? It will add more structural integrity to flange. Looking great! Wish I had a stick welder, just have a 90A HF mig. I can booger some stuff together,lol
Keep up the good work!
Just looking again at the video can you re-clock the AC lines to give you more clearance for the exhaust?
I would make sure the air filter had a splash guard around it for puddles... I have a fmic from I think a 2015 ford focus I'd let go for shipping costs. Has a small dent but think it's ok. If your interested I can send pics and measurements.

Reactions: Crewz

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Everything is looking good. One thing i might suggest if you haven’t done yet is to replace the oil cooler gaskets before installing the turbo. It’s under the exhaust manifold and since you will be removing it anyways it wouldn’t be a bad idea since they are known to leak.

Also glad to see someone doing this. I’ve thought about a 1.8 turbo for many years now. I like the videos. Makes it easier to follow.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
DO You have some 90° LARGE clip pliers to clock your turbo?
C clip pliers - the ones I have. They work well. Harbor Frieght pliers wont cut it. Your manifold is looking great! Did you think about making several pie cuts out of the left over tee parts to fill in around the turbo flange corners where the gap is? It will add more structural integrity to flange. Looking great! Wish I had a stick welder, just have a 90A HF mig. I can booger some stuff together,lol
Keep up the good work!
Just looking again at the video can you re-clock the AC lines to give you more clearance for the exhaust?
I would make sure the air filter had a splash guard around it for puddles... I have a fmic from I think a 2015 ford focus I'd let go for shipping costs. Has a small dent but think it's ok. If your interested I can send pics and measurements.
Thanks! It's looking like something I made is shop class, lol, but it'll do. I'm working on straightening the manifold at the moment. Took it to a machine shop and they showed me how much it curled up, so I had to cut the end 90º bends at the head flange, flatten it, and I'm working on rewarding it up a little at a time so the heat doesn't distort it... It's been quite the project of cutting, grinding... rinse and repeat, but I'm going to make it work.

These turbos are pretty easy to clock. Just loosen the bolts, turn and tighten them back down. :)

I appreciate it! I'm more than likely will have to bend the AC lines to give me a little more clearance so they don't melt, but I'll tackle that soon. Great idea on the splash guard. If you could send pics and measurements, that would be great. That way I can see if it's something I can use, or modify to make work.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Everything is looking good. One thing i might suggest if you haven’t done yet is to replace the oil cooler gaskets before installing the turbo. It’s under the exhaust manifold and since you will be removing it anyways it wouldn’t be a bad idea since they are known to leak.

Also glad to see someone doing this. I’ve thought about a 1.8 turbo for many years now. I like the videos. Makes it easier to follow.
Thank you! I'm by no means a pro at this stuff, but it'll be a fun learning experience. Somebody's got to do it. lol. I'll be the guinea pig.

In the next video I'm working on, I completely took the manifold off, and know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip! I'm overdue for a timing belt change, so I plan on replacing anything that's looking a little worn, or simple maintenance stuff (water pump, idle pulling, possibly the cam seals, etc..)

I enjoy making the videos, so I'll keep them coming. I'll do my best to document as much as possible. Filming eats up a lot of time lol.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Little update. In the process of flattening the manifold flanges back up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had to remove my c clip to get mine clocked properly.
In your video the oil drain of the turbo is pointed up. To clock the center AND compressor housing you loosen the exhaust side clamps so that the drain is down then tighten. Then to clock the compressor housing only you will need to loosen the clamps and remove the giant c clip. DO THIS STEP ON A BENCH with the compressor inlet laying down so the turbine stays centered in the housing and clock appropriately then re install the c clip and clamps.
How much did the manifold bend? You could have a machine ship mill a few thousands off or have it ground if you having sealing issues. Do you have any bluing compound? Apply a coat on the flange then bolt it up with out a gasket. You'll be able to see where your high at.
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you! The turbo simple clocks by loosening 6 bolts on the compressor housings. Got it clocked... which I thought I included in one of the videos?

The flange looked like it was smiling, but I've managed to save it. :) This has been quite the challenge building a turbo manifold with what limited tools I have, but I'm persistent enough that I'll get it done.

I took it to a machine shop and they advised to cut the ends, flatten the flange as much as possible, and close up the cuts, which I'm working on. I've made 2 trips to their shop, and the last bit of advice they gave was to take a straight edge and find the high spot, use a 4" grit wheel and take it down until it's close to flat so they can finish the machining. They couldn't hook it up to their machine with out making a custom jig. $$$

I'm about 90% finished flattening the flange and will take it to them this week, pending how busy work will be. Here's the latest vlog. The next one will include all my trips to the machine shop, but this will give you an idea of how things are going. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
These came in yesterday for the Cruze. #60 injectors from ZZP I wasn’t expecting them to come in a nice little case, so kudos to them!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ooo big squirterz! Are you gonna try to use E85 or just 93?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ooo big squirterz! Are you gonna try to use E85 or just 93?
We have E85 pump gas, but the stations are far and few between. So initially I'm going to tune for 93. Since I'm going to do the tuning myself, I don't see why I couldn't have a flash for E85 as well for weekends when I want to go to the track. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Plus I'm not sure at what point the stock pump will run out... Something tells me once I get everything on the car it will and I'll be pulling the tank which will be a bear without a lift. lol

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,372 Posts
If it's anything like the Cobalt, it shouldn't actually be too difficult, assuming it isn't full. It's plastic and more towards the middle of the car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
From what I've seen, you have to drop the whole tank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks don't always mean its funtional!. Function is way better! Art of the sleeper. Keep up the good work man. I think it looks way better than what I could do!(y)(y)(y)(y):cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looks don't always mean its funtional!. Function is way better! Art of the sleeper. Keep up the good work man. I think it looks way better than what I could do!(y)(y)(y)(y):cool::cool::cool::cool:
LOL, words of wisdom. Thanks! It'll look pretty with that turbo bolted to it. Now I can start working on other parts of the turbo build.

I'm thinking I'll either install the fuel injectors, tune for those, then toss on the turbo. Or I was thinking about bolting up the turbo and running the exhaust. Keeping the charge pipe off and letting it put the turbo through it's paces, making sure it's a good unit, has sufficient drainage. If all checks out, bolt up the turbo and injectors and tune for that.

After doing some HP Tuners research for newbs, seems like it's best to take it in stages. What are your thoughts?

I'd personally would just like to toss it all on LOL..., but I've been patient thus far with this manifold build.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For what it's worth, if someone plans to turbo a 1.8, there's an option aside from making a custom manifold. The Opel Astra Corsa 1.6 is the same base motor as the 1.8. My understanding is the 1.6 turbo will bolt right up to the 1.8 head. Now this is all hearsay from the inter webs, and one person was going to attempt it on a Sonic, which never came to fruition.

Plus it's kinda a tiny turbo, at least for what I'm wanting to do. The boost would kick on at a fairly low rpm with this setup. I was wanting something to kick on at 3k+ because I do 90% of my driving under that range and I'm just wanting it to kick in above 3k rpms.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bolt it all up and install the new injectors. Don't hook up the wastegate and maybe tie it/adjust it so that it is always open. That way you wont build boost. Dial in the vacuum side /na with the injectors you plan to use as this will be useful in off throttle cruising fuel/timing maps and give you some sort of starting point for the Injectors. Even with the wastegate open I would figure you will be able to notice when that turbo will want to spool with the wastegate on full dump. Or don't hook up the charge pipes. Either way will work if you want to drive it I would imagine. Baby steps :cool: the first time you hear that sucker spool you'll be hooked!

Reactions: Blasirl and Crewz
21 - 40 of 135 Posts