Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also a LOT of the opel/vauxhaul/Holden motors from the same family have parts that can be "shared" with a little thinkin'.

We did this with the quad 4's in the jbody world. Remove balance shafts, port matching different style manifolds, 2.3 liter w41/ho heads on LD9 blocks. I still remember making a rubbing with a crayon on my 2.4 GRD head with wax paper to port match a beretta GTZ intake manifold.

Even my old sunbird OHC 2.0 can share many parts with DOHC and OHC daewoo/opel turbos and na motors. GM engineers don't stray to far from each other on design... engines are in "families" for a reason.

Reactions: guuyuk and Crewz

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bolt it all up and install the new injectors. Don't hook up the wastegate and maybe tie it/adjust it so that it is always open. That way you wont build boost. Dial in the vacuum side /na with the injectors you plan to use as this will be useful in off throttle cruising fuel/timing maps and give you some sort of starting point for the Injectors. Even with the wastegate open I would figure you will be able to notice when that turbo will want to spool with the wastegate on full dump. Or don't hook up the charge pipes. Either way will work if you want to drive it I would imagine. Baby steps :cool: the first time you hear that sucker spool you'll be hooked!
See, I would've never thought of that. Thanks bro. I like the adjust the waste gate open. And, I'm ready for that sweet turbo sound!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Also a LOT of the opel/vauxhaul/Holden motors from the same family have parts that can be "shared" with a little thinkin'.

We did this with the quad 4's in the jbody world. Remove balance shafts, port matching different style manifolds, 2.3 liter w41/ho heads on LD9 blocks. I still remember making a rubbing with a crayon on my 2.4 GRD head with wax paper to port match a beretta GTZ intake manifold.

Even my old sunbird OHC 2.0 can share many parts with DOHC and OHC daewoo/opel turbos and na motors. GM engineers don't stray to far from each other on design... engines are in "families" for a reason.
Exactly! Which luckily they make forged rods for the 1.6, which should drop in the 1.8... guess we'll see. I know the rod small end is the same diameter and the rod big end is in the same ballpark. Guess I'll truly know once I get to the point of putting together a built motor so I can see what the turbo will do with no waste gate whatsoever.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Even without charge pipes you can get exhaust turbo sounds

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
For what it's worth, if someone plans to turbo a 1.8, there's an option aside from making a custom manifold. The Opel Astra Corsa 1.6 is the same base motor as the 1.8. My understanding is the 1.6 turbo will bolt right up to the 1.8 head. Now this is all hearsay from the inter webs, and one person was going to attempt it on a Sonic, which never came to fruition.

Plus it's kinda a tiny turbo, at least for what I'm wanting to do. The boost would kick on at a fairly low rpm with this setup. I was wanting something to kick on at 3k+ because I do 90% of my driving under that range and I'm just wanting it to kick in above 3k rpms.
Buy a gasket for the 1.6, match it to the 1.8. If it does not fit, you are only out a few bucks. If it does fit, buy this

K03 Turbine housing for Opel Astra H/J Corsa D Insignia 1.6 Turbo Z16LER Z16LET | eBay
Cut off the housing portion and weld on the turbo flange like you did and you have a smooth complete manifold.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Buy a gasket for the 1.6, match it to the 1.8. If it does not fit, you are only out a few bucks. If it does fit, buy this

K03 Turbine housing for Opel Astra H/J Corsa D Insignia 1.6 Turbo Z16LER Z16LET | eBay
Cut off the housing portion and weld on the turbo flange like you did and you have a smooth complete manifold.
And the turbo will essentially be where the upstream cat was. Good thing about the placement as well is the hot side of the turbo will be away from the AC lines and put you more inline with where the stock exhaust would be. The bad, routing the charge pipe will require a longer length and you'll have to navigate around the exhaust and hot side of the turbo because of the placement of the intake being on the opposite side.

EDIT: I'm not sure how big of a turbo you can install, which I'm thinking is a little small for a 1.8, but your boost will kick on pretty low in the rpm range, and then fall on it's face before reline do to the size of the manifold and turbo. IMO. But could make for a lot of fun.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So here are the money shots. Right now, the turbo is bolted up, full 2.5 custom exhaust with a high flow cat and FlowMaster FX straight through muffler. Sounds awesome, make turbo whines. The T04E starts to spool around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm, which is perfect because keep my daily driving under that. No charge pipe hooked up yet. This is the first bout just getting the turbo hooked up, and creating the exhaust. I did this over the Memorial Day weekend. Started Friday night, and didn't finish until Tuesday by noon. Well, more or less because I did some maintenance stuff while I was at it, like install new oil cooler gaskets, the pan obviously had to be removed for the drain, and resealed, and I cleaned the throttle body while I was at it.

I have a glorified hair dryer on it at the moment. Next step either install the #60 fuel injectors, and tune then charge pipe, or I'll install the charge pipe and adjust the waste gate so it's wide open and doesn't produce boost.

Once I get a moment I'll upload video that documents how I installed it, and what issues I ran into.

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
Looks really good so far. Curious, did you have to rework the exhaust pipe? I noticed the weld on it.

Once you get it going and tuned, you'll have to make a custom hood to help with cooler air.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Looks really good so far. Curious, did you have to rework the exhaust pipe? I noticed the weld on it.

Once you get it going and tuned, you'll have to make a custom hood to help with cooler air.
Thanks! I cut the entire stock exhaust out. I used a universal 2.5" kit off eBay. Was about $89. Got a high flow cat, and it has a FlowMaster FX straight through muffler in place of where the resonator resides. I placed the cat in location where the secondary cat is normally. I used a 90 / 45º piece to route the downpipes. I pretty much mimicked the stock exhaust. 3 bolt flange at the bottom of the engine, 2 bolt flange / mid pipe section, and right out the back. Let's just say I looked at a lot of ZZP's and BNR's 1.4 setup photos.

That would be cool. I've done my share of custom hoods.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looking good definently looking forward to videos of t04 turbo whistles!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm going to have to break all the video down into parts. I got a lot of video! Prepping for the turbo install.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like the beer on the bench! Negro Modelo?

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Here we go! I documented everything it took to put the turbo on and what issues I ran into.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Beautifull exhaust manifold , what diameter of tubbing did you use. I'm turbo an1.8 too!
Thanks, haha... it came out... ehhh, alright. :) I used 1.5" stainless steel tees and 90º elbows.

·
Super Moderator
8,845 Posts
I just reread some of the posts and realized you have 60lb injectors and see you are thinking about removing the fuel pump. If you detune the stock one (at least on a 1.4 - not sure if they are different between it and 1.8) it will work.

Additional info: INJECTOR SELECTION AND ATOMIZATION

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I just reread some of the posta and realized you have 60lb injectors and see you are thinking about removing the fuel pump. If you detune the stock one (at least on a 1.4 - not sure if they are different between it and 1.8) it will work.

Additional info: INJECTOR SELECTION AND ATOMIZATION
thanks! I’ll definitely look into it because dropping the fuel tank doesn’t seem like fun lol.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just a quick update. Working on tuning the car, or learning how. Idle dialed in, but working on getting the car to not run lean and have some drive ability. I have my boost gauge and wideband installed as well in a zzp style pillar. Got a blemished one pretty cheap.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 135 Posts