Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nope... been kinda out of the scene for a grip. There was a ton of clubs back in the early 2000's up here, not sure about currently. I'd by a shirt that had a turbo Cruze :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
If Mantapart was still around, I bet they would have all sorts of stuff these motors. Webcams is super reputable, cant go wrong... still could be cheaper if you could find an OEM with desirable specs to drop in.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Nope... been kinda out of the scene for a grip. There was a ton of clubs back in the early 2000's up here, not sure about currently. I'd by a shirt that had a turbo Cruze :)
I hear that! I haven't been part of a scene since the release of the first Fast and Furious, then there was a huge police raid. Lucky I wasn't out that night. lol
Sweet! I'll work on a design and the profit will go towards mods (cam, ignition, clutch, dyno time, etc..) See if we can't set some sort of record lol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
If Mantapart was still around, I bet they would have all sorts of stuff these motors. Webcams is super reputable, cant go wrong... still could be cheaper if you could find an OEM with desirable specs to drop in.
Give it some time. There's only so many 90's and 2000's cars, before you know it the wrecking yards, which they already are, will be filled with 2010 cars. The very undesirable 1.8, because it's NA, will be plentiful. Well, given someone can show some power potential... Cough... ZZP...BNR... wanna sponsor an ignition system...

EDIT: I was kinda expecting the price from Web. I'm sure in the future this build could be done for thousands less than all the custom order stuff I'll have to do, or make.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tons of cobalts and ions in there now...I have no doubt you can crack 300 hp pretty readily given everything your doing. 160hp/l... is very doable these days...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Tons of cobalts and ions in there now...I have no doubt you can crack 300 hp pretty readily given everything your doing. 160hp/l... is very doable these days...
I agree x2. Limiting factor will be the intake, throttle body, and my log style manifold. It'll be fun to see what it can do with some cheap DIY parts and some home porting. That cam cost though might break the budget build aspect lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You made an exhaust manifold... make an intake:p use a drive by wire tb from say... a v6....or bore out another 1.8l tb a few mm and make a new butterfly.

Reactions: Crewz

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
You made an exhaust manifold... make an intake:p use a drive by wire tb from say... a v6....or bore out another 1.8l tb a few mm and make a new butterfly.
This is true! I’m thinking while the engine is off at the machine shop, about making an equal length manifold and an intake. I’m just wondering if the ECU will freak out without the tps and the open / closed manifold runner 🤔

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
New video! Tuning and upgrading the injectors.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just leave the motor for the tb runner installed but hanging... see what all other vehicles the tps is used in.

Cancel that.... it appears the drive by wire tb have built in tps that does not appear servicable.... I haven't had to deal with them before.

Depending on the number of pins on the tps circuits and the total maximum resistance range of the tps wipers. I would assume that gm would mostly use the same control circuit and motors to keep costs due to variation to a minimum. The tb may not be a big issue the bore for the AC delco replacement is listed @2.321" (58.95mm). That's pretty big given the displacement of the motor. The old twin cam 2.4l had 52mm tb and easily made close 300 on less than 10lbs. I'm guessing it is not really going to be a restriction until you get close to 350hp or better.

·
Registered
373 Posts
@yt400pmd that's a good link.... will be keeping an eye on it myself. Believe we've tossed that idea around. He just might have to do it since just about all in now. I love build threads :cool:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #153

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Just leave the motor for the tb runner installed but hanging... see what all other vehicles the tps is used in.

Cancel that.... it appears the drive by wire tb have built in tps that does not appear servicable.... I haven't had to deal with them before.

Depending on the number of pins on the tps circuits and the total maximum resistance range of the tps wipers. I would assume that gm would mostly use the same control circuit and motors to keep costs due to variation to a minimum. The tb may not be a big issue the bore for the AC delco replacement is listed @2.321" (58.95mm). That's pretty big given the displacement of the motor. The old twin cam 2.4l had 52mm tb and easily made close 300 on less than 10lbs. I'm guessing it is not really going to be a restriction until you get close to 350hp or better.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Definitely something to consider. I'm going to get this thing back together with the stock intake and throttle body. Get things running well, hit the dyno, then work on upgrading the manifold / throttle body setup.

I wish I had hooked up the PCV up properly, or researched it a little more before taking these next steps so those who want to add a turbo to their car could know what to expect with similar easy to do DIY turbo manifold, and a tune. I'm still not too far off from that, with the exception of the head now being ported, and the upgrades being made to the valve train. lol

So the plan at this point is everything is going to the machine shop for a valve job (3 angle, although stock it looks like that's what it has). I've had pretty decent success with hand lapping the valves, well the intake valves. The exhaust valves could use some turning to clean them due to carbon build up. Soaking them in Chem Dip helped, but while it's apart, I'm going to do it right.

As far as the cam goes, my buddy and I are going to talk to his dude over at Craig Caulk Racing Heads, and see if he knows of anyone that does a reweld, custom grind, and recommendation for the intended use (street car, weekend warrior) weight of the car, etc. Worse case scenery, which isn't a bad thing, send them over to Web Cams for the service. I may hold on that because it'll be easy peasy to upgrade once the car is back together.

Some of the things I need to consider is upgrading the clutch which will run about $600, and upgrading my ignition. Which from that tutorial seems like about a $250 DIY upgrade.

More to come soon.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Good news! Finally found a reputable cam regrind at a reasonable price, although turnaround time is 3 weeks. Crower Cams and they charge $220 for both cams. Once they receive the cams they'll let me know what profile they can grind into the cams.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
here is a couple of pics of this setup on my 1.4 i built an extra harness and i have 4 extra wires that you are welcome to if you want them.
Nice work! I appreciate it! Had I read this before I made a purchase this morning, I would have taken you up on that. I placed an order for 8 cheap Chinese coil and going to give this a try. How's the car run with this setup?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It runs well. I've only had it for about 7k miles and so far no issues. I'm not running enough boost to really know if it is making a difference. The ease and availability of swapping these out for troubleshooting makes it worth while.
I tried running it without tuning and it will idle and rev to about 3k rpm. After 3k rpm it starts to miss

·
Registered
373 Posts
I too was thinking about doing this but just put the MSD on my car because I wanted it back on the road... definitely a worthwhile thing to look at.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
It runs well. I've only had it for about 7k miles and so far no issues. I'm not running enough boost to really know if it is making a difference. The ease and availability of swapping these out for troubleshooting makes it worth while.
I tried running it without tuning and it will idle and rev to about 3k rpm. After 3k rpm it starts to miss
Nice! I went ahead and purchased some LS1 coils, the wiring harness, plug... just need to order the pins, seals, some wire, and make a bracket. That'll come later once I get the car back together.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts