Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have gone through different brands of bulbs and none have really done what I've wanted, or they go out pretty quick.
I have experience with HIDs on other cars both projector and standard type housings (99 Acura TL HIDs from factory).

Really I have read all the ins and outs of HIDs and there are some people that lecture away as to why they are bad...just don't bring all that negative here.
I just want to do the right thing and install these Kensun 6000K HIDs (35 watt) and aim them properly.
I might add that I have not touched the factory aim, so I don't have to account for already having raised them.

That being said, what's the best way? From my reading, it seems that HIDs may be aimed differently than halogens, but I haven't found a write up, or more specifically geared towards the Cruze.
Thanks in advance!
Cruze on

·
Administrator
15,861 Posts
Hi there
I have gone through different brands of bulbs and none have really done what I've wanted, or they go out pretty quick.
I have experience with HIDs on other cars both projector and standard type housings (99 Acura TL HIDs from factory).

Really I have read all the ins and outs of HIDs and there are some people that lecture away as to why they are bad...just don't bring all that negative here.
I just want to do the right thing and install these Kensun 6000K HIDs (35 watt) and aim them properly.
I might add that I have not touched the factory aim, so I don't have to account for already having raised them.

That being said, what's the best way? From my reading, it seems that HIDs may be aimed differently than halogens, but I haven't found a write up, or more specifically geared towards the Cruze.
Thanks in advance!
Cruze on
I don't get it. You want advice on how to align a bulb that was not designed for those specific housings. By definition, it is impossible to "properly" aim them because they aren't supposed to be in there in the first place. There is no proper way to align a bulb that isn't designed to work with your housings.

The fundamental difference here is the the amount of glare each of them produce. Cars that have HID bulbs from the factory have a specific glare calibration to prevent you from blinding oncoming drivers. You cannot align out the glare because the housing was carefully designed to create a specific amount of glare. All you can do is align these just like you would your halogen bulbs, and in that regard there is no difference. You cannot do anything to reduce the glare you're shining into peoples eyes and still maintain factory-level viewing distances if that is your concern. This is about as good of an answer as you're going to get, and the answer would be the same as if you were asking about halogen bulbs. If you want to know why I'm saying this, read on...

...if you read what people were saying and gave it a few moments of thought, it might not come off as a lecture and you might understand why people say what they do. If you actually want to understand more instead of just writing me off, feel free to read the most popular article on my website:

Are HID Kits Legal or Safe - The Xtreme Revolution

I'll be more than happy to answer questions. Heck, I've even helped people figure out how to install HID kits. At the end of the day, it's your decision whether or not you want to use them after knowing the facts, and I'll help you figure it out either way, but in this case, there simply isn't a good way to do it. You either point them down to prevent from blinding people and end up compromising your viewing distance, or you align them like you would align the halogen bulbs and blind everyone while increasing your lighting output. You'll have to choose between one or the other.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read your same post on a few different threads.

I understand what's going on and I just need to know how to aim them properly. I would ask the same question if I was just upgrading a harness too.

·
Administrator
15,861 Posts
I have read your same post on a few different threads.

I understand what's going on and I just need to know how to aim them properly. I would ask the same question if I was just upgrading a harness too.
I updated my post as you were replying to yours. Keep in mind, the harness improves output, but not by by over 2.5x the amount over stock. It allows you to stay within legal and safe limits without using projectors.

You either point them down to prevent from blinding people and end up compromising your viewing distance, or you align them like you would align the halogen bulbs and blind everyone while increasing your lighting output. You'll have to choose between one or the other.
I believe you turn the vertical adjustment screw counter-clockwise to raise them and clockwise to lower them. You shouldn't have to mess with the horizontal adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
There's no horizontal adjustment, only vertical adjustment with the OEM headlamps.

Reactions: inssane

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
So ... a similar type question for you Xtreme, can the Cruze headlights be "retro-fitted" or upgraded in some way to a projector style headlight while using regular OE bulbs?

·
Administrator
15,861 Posts
So ... a similar type question for you Xtreme, can the Cruze headlights be "retro-fitted" or upgraded in some way to a projector style headlight while using regular OE bulbs?
Yes. You can buy a projector retrofit kit from theretrofitsource.com that will allow you to fit projectors into the Cruze housing. The only challenge that I've heard of so far is getting the lens off.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Dieselhard is selling a set there really good priced

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not cracking the housing to put in projectors. Also, they are just as illegal of a modification as not using them is. I am also not splicing up my harness.

So does anyone have instructions on how to aim?
I'd rather not keep talking about other options since my mind is set. I came to this community seeking advice.

·
Administrator
15,861 Posts
I am not cracking the housing to put in projectors. Also, they are just as illegal of a modification as not using them is. I am also not splicing up my harness.

So does anyone have instructions on how to aim?
I'd rather not keep talking about other options since my mind is set. I came to this community seeking advice.
They are still technically Illegal, but they are not likely to get you ticketed like running HIDs in reflector housings are. They are also much, much safer to use and you don't end up blinding everyone on the road.

How do you aim headlights? I already told you. Pop the hood, turn the headlight adjustment screw. It's really not that complicated. I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want a set number of inches below level on a wall, i cannot give you one, I have had brighter halogen bulbs, PNP HID kits and a retrofit.

The way I aimed the PNP kit in my factory headlights was roughly an inch or so lower then they were originally. At this point, i was highbeamed frequently and aimed them down a little at a time until I was no longer highbeamed by drivers on a level, or near level road.

At this point was a large puddle of light in front of the car with NO distance (Still glaring other drivers im sure)

With an HID kit, without glaring people, the headlight would have to be aimed lower then stock...There is not proper way to adjust the lights with a PNP kit as each housing has a different amount of glare.

Now I am not telling you will have the same experience as me, BUT I upgraded my PNP to a projector retrofit within a MONTH...I did not like it at all, having fun on a dark mountain road with oncoming cars was nerve recking...

A REAL retrofit doesn't cost that much either to be honest..

Im not the type of person that wants to knowingly blind oncoming drivers, my worst fear was a driver losing control (bad eyesight, forgot glasses and in an emergency, ect.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The type of guidance I am looking for is approximate adjustment vertical distance.
So, it seems that many people with stock bulbs and housings aim them up a certain distance, from either right up on the wall or from 25 feet away. If I have not adjusted them and they are still "lower" than they should be, as they come from the factory, will I have to go up a little less than you would aim stock, stay where I am, or lower it from where it is?

I can always adjust and test and test, but I don't think that's an efficient way to start off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Diesel - I just saw your post, thanks for the info. The post of mine above this was addressing Xtreme on the previous page.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
There's a how-to written up on how to aim the OEM headlights with H13 halogen bulbs in them somewhere around here. That won't apply for HID kitted headlights.

And, installing a relay harness to the OEM bulbs does not hack up the OEM headlight harness. It leaves it intact and functional if returning to stock was ever needed.

·
Administrator
15,861 Posts
The type of guidance I am looking for is approximate adjustment vertical distance.
So, it seems that many people with stock bulbs and housings aim them up a certain distance, from either right up on the wall or from 25 feet away. If I have not adjusted them and they are still "lower" than they should be, as they come from the factory, will I have to go up a little less than you would aim stock, stay where I am, or lower it from where it is?

I can always adjust and test and test, but I don't think that's an efficient way to start off.
That is your only option. It's not an efficient way, but nor is using HID bulbs in a reflector housing. I made a strong point in my article on my website regarding filament distance. Have you ever played with a maglite flashlight? If you turn the head, the beam shape changes. What exactly happens when you do that? What happens is the bulb inside moves forward and backward. In every case I've seen, the distance between the light source and the base of the socket will be larger on an HID bulb than it will be on a halogen bulb. Furthermore, the light source will be a different shape. See the following:

You will notice that the filament distance is different with the HID bulb. This changes the beam pattern reflected from the housing and makes it so that any methods or specifications for the halogen bulbs are no longer valid and no longer apply. It is impossible for any of us to recommend any method or specification for aligning this bulb in the factory housing. It will have to be done by trial and error.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.