Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some frank opinions here on the pros and cons of the first two generations compared.

For example, the pros and cons of the different 1.4 turbo.

The pros and cons of the new exterior design.

etc.

I'm toying with the idea of trading my 2014 eco for a 2016 L trim.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The new cruze is lighter, has more power and gets better MPG. That being said have you driven one yet? I found the car felt much larger than the current model as well as looking almost Malibu in size.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't. I was drawn to the L trim....if only it had the cruise control...that would be all I would want. For 500 more than the base price of what...16,880? I could have a new car? I'm wondering what they would give me on a trade for my 2014. I should stop in sometime and check it out...although I highly doubt I will let go of my 2014 eco MT. But who knows....

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
I found the car felt much larger than the current model as well as looking almost Malibu in size.
Which is funny, because it's really not much larger, in some dimensions it's smaller - especially weight. The fact it has more interior room could be at play for that. (The Malibu has a 5.1" longer wheelbase and is 10.1" longer, for reference - it also is about the same weight as the 1st gen Cruze).

It has a 0.6" longer wheelbase (106.3 vs 105.7), is 2.7" longer (183.7 vs 181.0 - the hatch is 5.7" shorter, for what it's worth), but it is 0.7" shorter in height (57.4 vs 58.1).

Weight definitely has an impact in how it drives - and the highest curb weight of the vehicle is listed as 3000lbs (Premier Automatic) - which is 84 lbs less than the weight of the lowest 1st gen model, a 2016 Limited L Manual.

Reactions: Iamantman

·
Registered
39 Posts
No I haven't. I was drawn to the L trim....if only it had the cruise control...that would be all I would want. For 500 more than the base price of what...16,880? I could have a new car? I'm wondering what they would give me on a trade for my 2014. I should stop in sometime and check it out...although I highly doubt I will let go of my 2014 eco MT. But who knows....

When I bought my ls and asked about adding cruise control my dealer told me it wasn't available to add yet,just a FYI.

·
Registered
294 Posts
having driven both i like the room of my gen2 better it isnt much more room but it feels like the extra is in the right spots Im a big guy and i fit comfortably in the gen 2 where as i felt cramped in the 1st generation i also love android auto. my car loves the highway it is always around 45-46 mpg on the highway and it has just enough power to get where you want to put it. i will say i do not like the aerodynamics of the third brake light it makes it so you cant air dry the center of the back window and it leaves water spots on the rear window and trunk. thats about the only complaint i have on mine but i am only 1500 miles into it.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
My only reservation with the 2nd gen is Direct Injection. It is a two-edged sword. While it does provide more power, fuel economy, and drivability in hot weather, it also fouls up intake valves and, as we have seen from many manufacturers, requires cylinder head replacement.

One may argue that the 1st gen also has a more unique appearance, while the 2nd gen seems to take its cues from other vehicles more. The 1st gen had a very distinct look. In some angles, the 2nd gen resembles a civic or an elantra.

The 2nd gen also has no tow rating, while the 1st gen at least had a tow rating on most models.

Aside from that, my opinion is that the 2nd gen is an overall improvement over the 1st.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I traded a 14 ECO MT with 22.5k miles in January and I got like $10,500 which I wasn't super happy with, but traded on a 15 Diesel and got a super price on it and love the Diesel more than the ECO I had. Just some point of reference. Good Luck

Reactions: Hazlitt777

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
My only reservation with the 2nd gen is Direct Injection. It is a two-edged sword. While it does provide more power, fuel economy, and drivability in hot weather, it also fouls up intake valves and, as we have seen from many manufacturers, requires cylinder head replacement.
And god forbid you have to replace a fuel injector outside of warranty. Not only arey the expensive, but they're not overly easy to get to, either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm newer to the forum and definitely new to the Cruze. From reading on here I've noticed people with first gens complaining about jerking at some stalling in hot weather and ac being on. It seems that the spark plug gap fixed this? Any truth to that? What should the gap be? So I check my Cruze? I've just noticed it this week and it's been extremely hot. Other than this I would recommend the Cruze to anyone and I liked the second gen better than the first myself. I know someone mention about the dimensions of the two, but I have to agree it didn't feel much smaller than the Malibu I drove and way larger than the sonic. I love the apple car play and the standard back up camera which I find myself using way more than I thought I would. I'm hoping some up grades become available like maybe a oem rear spoiler, a color matched antenna, and oem wheels becoming more available.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I don't think GM had any idea how popular the Cruze would be. Evidence for this is the crappy, in comparison to other Chevys, infotainment system, which never got upgraded to the full MyLink system available in other GMs. The Gen2 Cruze has the full MyLink system.

·
Registered
123 Posts
having driven both i like the room of my gen2 better it isnt much more room but it feels like the extra is in the right spots Im a big guy and i fit comfortably in the gen 2 where as i felt cramped in the 1st generation i also love android auto. my car loves the highway it is always around 45-46 mpg on the highway and it has just enough power to get where you want to put it. i will say i do not like the aerodynamics of the third brake light it makes it so you cant air dry the center of the back window and it leaves water spots on the rear window and trunk. thats about the only complaint i have on mine but i am only 1500 miles into it.
With the first gen Cruze, I typically get water running down the rear window from underneath the antenna (this happens many hours after the remainder of the car has dried and I drive it out of my garage).

·
10,712 Posts
I don't think GM had any idea how popular the Cruze would be. Evidence for this is the crappy, in comparison to other Chevys, infotainment system, which never got upgraded to the full MyLink system available in other GMs. The Gen2 Cruze has the full MyLink system.
The funny thing is they did give 2.0 to select non American markets. To this day I been given the run around for my non working 1st year production MyLink.

*My obvious notices are the over all feel driving the 2.
*Cup holders are well off to the side out the way(Excluding manual)
*The fuel and temp needles switched places
*The engine is quieter than my 1st gen
*Manual Cruze is a secret eco but minus all the cool eco stuff 1st gen gets.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I would like to hear some frank opinions here on the pros and cons of the first two generations compared.

For example, the pros and cons of the different 1.4 turbo.

The pros and cons of the new exterior design.

etc.

I'm toying with the idea of trading my 2014 eco for a 2016 L trim.
The new Cruze isn't in Australia yet, but if GM put a 1.4 in it they may as well not bother at all as after having a 1.6T in the current car it will be a hard sell. The Cruze already has 5 different makes of car outselling it, so they have some very good competition here. Also if the diesel comes as a 1.6 engine I for one am not interested I will just keep my current one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My last Cruze was a '13 1LT 6spd Manual w/ RS, Sun/Sound, and Convenience Packages

New Cruze is a '16 Premier Auto w/ RS, Sun/Sound, and Convenience Packages

Biggest difference is the interior. The '16 has more room up front and way more room in the back seats. The technology integrated into the new car was one of the biggest selling points for me too (heated steering wheel, Bose audio, Apple CarPlay, etc). It feels like a more expensive car than it actually is, especially with the brown leather interior.

The exterior is weird and wedge shaped, so I definitely prefer the exterior of the old Cruze. This car looks more like a compact with a super short hood - but feels more like the Malbu on the inside.

From a handling perspective, the new one does also feel less connected to the road... My '13 felt like a go-cart at times and the '16 has a much more numb overall feel to it. It certainly is no sports car...

The new 1.4 turbo motor feels about the same to me - nothing to get excited about.. There is zero power under 3k rpm but when the turbo spools up around 3,200rpm the motor comes alive as best it can. The car is without question faster than the old one and has no trouble merging into traffic. The auto trans shifts quickly and smoothly - but it always wants to be 1 gear higher than I'd choose for myself.

·
Registered
165 Posts

One may argue that the 1st gen also has a more unique appearance, while the 2nd gen seems to take its cues from other vehicles more. The 1st gen had a very distinct look. In some angles, the 2nd gen resembles a civic or an elantra.

The 2nd gen also has no tow rating, while the 1st gen at least had a tow rating on most models.

Aside from that, my opinion is that the 2nd gen is an overall improvement over the 1st.
A catch can will help his problem, but GM is really getting in an uproar about these. i.e. void warranty.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I stopped in a Chevy dealership with a '14 LT/RS and wanted to see about a trade for a '16 L Cruze. Offered $10K for the trade. I laughed, and walked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When my Gen2 was in for service, they gave me a Gen 1 as a loaner. So I drove both (both LT's) on the same day. The gen1 drove better than I expected, with decent power and handling. The electronics were old fashioned by comparison. Gen1 seems to have stiffer springs and ride a little rougher, but lean a little less in a corner. The Gen 2 is quieter and smoother, with much nicer info system. I've been amazed at what I could fit in the gen2 trunk. A 20" bike. Even a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe. (not both at the same time!)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I've had a 2nd gen as a rental for a few days.

Pros:
-The powertrain is just fantastic. Transmission, engine, everything's on point. Fantastically torquey and quiet little motor, very responsive, and the transmission isn't confused like the 1st gen automatic. Overall, a HUGE improvement over the Gen 1 1.4.
-Ride quality is better than the even already good 1st gen.
-Interior space is MUCH increased all around.
-Better blind spot/side visibility
-Radio is much more responsive and easy to use than 1st gen MyLink (although I liked the design of 1st gen MyLink better).

Cons:
-Seats are freaking terrible. Flat, no support, stiff.
-You can definitely tell it's lighter, but it isn't as eager to attack corners (1LT vs LT RS). My Cruze just leans into a corner and goes for it. Probably tire-related.
-Visibility out the back of the car isn't as good.
-Feels more "appliancey", if that makes sense. Looks about the part too. It's not bad looking, but I don't love it.
-I can see how some people might hate stop/start. I like it, but there is a rare jolt if you catch it at the wrong time (stopping only to creep forward again at a light or intersection). Otherwise, pretty smooth system.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well if you want to know about handling I can tell you with the same 245/40r18x8.5 rims/tires(BFGoodrich SportComp2) on my 2012 Cruze vs my 2016 Cruze RS the 2012 runs circles around the 2016 handling wise. I could go down Tesla RD(look it up) going 45-50 MPH in the turns and the 2012 Cruze would eat them alive without a single hiccup, but the 2016 Cruze has such a bouncy suspension good luck taking a corner without it trying to bite for traction in that boat.

I'm hoping me putting stiffer/shorter springs on the car will fix it but I doubt this car will ever come close to handling like my 2012 Cruze sports car lol..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.