Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the coming few weeks I intend to turn in my VW dirty diesel and purchase a 17 Cruze diesel. I'm very excited. I live in central Iowa. This will be the first and likely only time in my life that I'll be buying a brand new car. The payout from VW and the fact that I just recently paid off my student loans is what is making it possible now.

Here's a point of curiosity that I've been wondering. As I look at the available options for the car (I'm going for all the bells and whistles I can get) I see that a following distance indicator is an option but adaptive cruise control is not. I also see on this forum and others that people like to tune their cars, or reprogram the ECU to control the engine and transmission differently. If the car has a following distance sensor and cruise control, isn't adaptive cruise control a matter of software implementation? Are there after market software updates that could install adaptive cruise control? If not, why not?

Thank you everyone in advance for your cumulative wisdom.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If the car has a following distance sensor and cruise control, isn't adaptive cruise control a matter of software implementation? Are there after market software updates that could install adaptive cruise control? If not, why not?
I suppose it's just software, but I'd not seen anyone make those kinds of modifications to their cars. I don't think anyone has worked out that level of hacking. At least not yet.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your purchase process. There are some really good deals out there now (at least $4000 off at some dealerships, with incentives).

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Welcome and as previously mentioned, I have not seen anyone update any type of adaptive cruise or following distance sensor. I don't believe they come with it unless this is new for Gen II Cruzes.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I believe it bases this stuff on what it sees through a camera with distance "lines" rather than radar sensors. It's not accurate enough for adaptive cruise. They may deal with the lack of adaptive cruise in a mid cycle refresh; I see the new Equinox has it.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The Cruze does not have any adaptive cruise control, nor automatic braking for forward collisions. You have to be getting much more vehicle for that. You can get forward collision alert, which will flash a light and disengage your cruise control, but not actually stop you. Can't get it on an Equinox either. You've really gotta step up into the big vehicles.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
The Cruze does not have any adaptive cruise control, nor automatic braking for forward collisions. You have to be getting much more vehicle for that. You can get forward collision alert, which will flash a light and disengage your cruise control, but not actually stop you. Can't get it on an Equinox either. You've really gotta step up into the big vehicles.
2018 Nox/Terrain will have low speed collision braking, but not adaptive cruise. Whoops.

What's surprising is that the Civic/Corolla have those features.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
2018 Nox/Terrain will have low speed collision braking, but not adaptive cruise. Whoops.

What's surprising is that the Civic/Corolla have those features.
Yeah, the "low speed" automatic braking is good until 45 mph, but it's really more of a mitigation system rather than completely autonomous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.