Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a car seat for my child in my previous vehicle for 4 years. Because of that, there was a permanent indent on the cushion. I was wondering if anyone had ideas what to put between the baby seat and the car cushion to prevent that? I am currently removing the seat until it is used to prevent it from happening.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
We have been using two different models from BabiesRUs for several years now (the oldest is 8). We have one under each of the grandkid's car seats in our Protege5 to protect the leather seats. Not only do they keep the seats from marring the leather, they catch a lot of "crap" that the kids drop or spill. The kids seats leave indentations in the leather seats from being tied down so tightly by the LATCH anchors and the seatbelts, but that goes away in a few days if the seats are removed. Check the link in the above post.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I picked up the LionHeart one there for $23. They had another one for a couple bucks cheaper but it didn't seem as hard, but instead thin and cushiony so I opted out of it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't forget the kick mats for the back of the front seat. My little girl cannot keep her feet off the back of the seat no matter what severity of beatings are threatened.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Only have a baby seat for a weekend with our granddaughter, left marks in the leather, but returned back to normal. So this subject came to mind. With leather, really rough to spread that crack between the seat and the back for those clips. Even a lot more difficult to remove that seat. See they have three sets of those hooks, can't figure that out, only room for two seats maximum. My kids with over two kids have to drive poor fuel economy SUV's or vans, need three seat vehicles, but only good up to four kids.

Then those cheap plastic safety belts, wife can't even push that button to release them, and three of them, what do you do in the event of an accident trying to get that kid out of there. In particular if there is a fire. So when shopping, now looking at car seats, doesn't make any difference if looking at a 30 buck or a 200 buck seat, all these safety belts are the same crap. But with the 200 buck seat, get more cushioning and a cup holder.

Really didn't do a net search on the origins of these baby seat standards, but had to be done by complete idiots not considering worse case scenarios. All I can do is to drive extra carefully when she is in the car. Baby car seats are the law. Child safety locks were another thing, see the Cruze doesn't have those, least I haven't found them yet. Had those on older vehicles, if engaged, couldn't even get out the back seat of a car. Was working on the rear seat with the safety locks on and closed the door. Had to climb over the front seat that wasn't easy with those head restrains.

Cruse has rear head restrains now, but sure blocks your vision when backing up, but concerned about removing them. Just make sure they are down, and stretch my neck to try to see over them. Really don't want to run over a kid while constantly monitoring all three rear view mirrors. One safety feature always interferes with another, but all based on statistics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it looks like I have to take my mat back. It didn't tell me on the box, but with a note inside, that under temperatures of 100F or higher in my car it will bleed onto my upholstry. Yeah, I can cook bacon in my car out here in the summer so thats out. I find it funny they actually sell this product in the desert.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Child safety locks were another thing, see the Cruze doesn't have those, least I haven't found them yet. Had those on older vehicles, if engaged, couldn't even get out the back seat of a car. Was working on the rear seat with the safety locks on and closed the door. Had to climb over the front seat that wasn't easy with those head restrains.
On the driver side door, beneath the power window buttons is a child safety lock for the windows/doors. Unless you are referring to something else...

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Really didn't do a net search on the origins of these baby seat standards, but had to be done by complete idiots not considering worse case scenarios.
When we were first purchasing car seats for the grandkids, my wife looked for safety standards and couldn't find any for the U.S. She found some for the UK and went with that. We ended up buying seats made by Britax as being the safest there. The crotch latch is a metal on metal mechinisim and similar to regular car seat belts. The chest latch is a plastic one, but it's purpose is only to keep the straps positioned on the chest area, and the straps have additional rubber pressure spreaders on them to help protect the child's chest area. They were expensive, but then they were for the grandkids.

In addition to the LATCH connections, I thread the car's seat belt through the child car seat to provide additional containment for the seat itself. No, I don't remove the seats (two) from the car much, but it only takes about 10 minutes to remove both. It takes me a lot longer to re-install them. Since the car is a hatchback, I have to crawl in the back to hook up the rear restraint strap. I probably look pretty funny kneeling in the kid's seat and pulling on those LATCH straps to get them tightened properly. Pretty soon, the older child will have outgrown the old seat and will be into a booster seat. That will make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In addition to the LATCH connections, I thread the car's seat belt through the child car seat to provide additional containment for the seat itself.
I thought about this when our little one arrived, but after a bit of reading, the recommendation is to use either LATCH or the seat belt, whichever provides the most secure fit in your car. Using both is not necessarily better and could actually be worse since the seats were not designed for using both systems at the same time.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
On the driver side door, beneath the power window buttons is a child safety lock for the windows/doors. Unless you are referring to something else...
Funny, never noticed that switch before, justs lets you know I really don't play much with the power windows. This time I rolled the rear window down to try it, it works, completely disables the door latch and the power windows in the rear. Yellow LED comes on with that switch. Really doubt if I could climb into the front seats to get out with those head restrains so high.

While I was at it, tried locking the doors with the remote and a window down, alarm on the dash does flash red, but can reach in and open a door without setting the alarm off.

Should have figured those child safety locks were electric, everything else in this car is. Did learn you have to pull on the door open lever twice to get out. Just in case of an accident that knocks out your electrical system. But that doesn't work at all in the rear doors with that child safety lock engaged.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Then those cheap plastic safety belts, wife can't even push that button to release them, and three of them, what do you do in the event of an accident trying to get that kid out of there. In particular if there is a fire. So when shopping, now looking at car seats, doesn't make any difference if looking at a 30 buck or a 200 buck seat, all these safety belts are the same crap. But with the 200 buck seat, get more cushioning and a cup holder.
Nick,

I speak from experience when I tell you this: Carry trauma shears or a knife with a window punch and a seatbelt cutter. It could potentially save your life and/or that of your loved ones in the event of a rollover or fire. your seatbelts will not release upside down. I have cut many people out of their vehicles in emergencies. Shears are <$5 and a Google search for a good rescue knife will quickly bring up results within your price range.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Nick,

I speak from experience when I tell you this: Carry trauma shears or a knife with a window punch and a seatbelt cutter. It could potentially save your life and/or that of your loved ones in the event of a rollover or fire. your seatbelts will not release upside down. I have cut many people out of their vehicles in emergencies. Shears are <$5 and a Google search for a good rescue knife will quickly bring up results within your price range.
And my wife wonders why I have a Leatherman in the glove box.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Go to the home a garden section, and get the kneeling pads for gardening,, get 2 and put one on ea side of the seat base. strap it in,, and go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.