Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robot Check

Had an event that happened on the 101 heading south from San Francisco at 10 PM at night that motivated me to buy it. There was a short wheelbase off-road vehicle that lost it's wheel assembly going about 60 MPH two lanes over. The entire setup (brakes, axle, and rod) rolled off of it and dropped the frame onto the freeway, where it lit up into a shower of sparks and screamed like a banshee. For a surreal moment, it was me, a taxi, and this vehicle cruising side by side lit up like a goddamn meteorite with its separated wheel keeping pace with us.

I purchased from Amazon, just searched for Dashcam and bought the highest rated one. It was dropped off the next day in a locker and I had it set up that night. I also bought the hardwire kit that I haven't installed yet. I'm not looking forward to trying to run it behind B-Pillars and under the Dash and all that nonsense. I'm thinking I can just wire it up to my rear view mirror since it already has a power supply.

Audio and visual wise it's almost identical to a Go-Pro with a much easier user interface and your not burdened with a bunch of overpriced, nonsense brackets. Just stick it on with 3M tape and your rolling. It's fire and forget, it starts recording as soon as power is run to it and stops recording when power is shut off.

Overall, it's a good purchased and just really cheap insurance to have especially in these times.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry this post isn't more detailed, for some reason this forum has an exceptionally shitty interface and it auto-logged me out while I was typing up a much more specific post that was much more detailed. After losing that draft and others, I struggled to get this one out the door.

It's really shocking how much time I wasted just to get this one up.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Sorry, I suppose so. The pillar that runs between the windshield and drivers window.
10-4

cant remember why i didnt tap into overhead power, lotsa ppl dont, some do

i know i used the ground under the drivers sill plate, but cant remember if that was when i installed the power lumbar or the dashcam, or both...pretty sure i found a ground where the pedals are

·
Registered
145 Posts
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...3-dash-camera-hardwiring-power-magic-pro.html

I would recommend hard wiring it along the driver's side route in this guide. It's really not too hard with some trim removal tools (like $8 at Harbor Freight or eBay) and a coat hanger, and completely reversible.

One other thing to consider is where you mount the camera on the windshield...make sure it's low enough that your wipers cover the area the lens is opposite of. I mounted mine (same wedge style) just under the tinted area of the windshield at the very top of the wiper travel, and that might have been slightly too high, but it's also totally stealth from the outside.

Vehicle Car Electronics Windshield Vehicle audio

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

This is really really good information.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...3-dash-camera-hardwiring-power-magic-pro.html

I would recommend hard wiring it along the driver's side route in this guide. It's really not too hard with some trim removal tools (like $8 at Harbor Freight or eBay) and a coat hanger, and completely reversible.

One other thing to consider is where you mount the camera on the windshield...make sure it's low enough that your wipers cover the area the lens is opposite of. I mounted mine (same wedge style) just under the tinted area of the windshield at the very top of the wiper travel, and that might have been slightly too high, but it's also totally stealth from the outside.

View attachment 180209

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.