Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a Used 2011 Cruze LS - Automatic Transmissions with the 1.8L Engine, I test drove it and everything seemed good, the car fax was clean. But the more I drive it, it is just incredibly sluggish, it seems like I barely touch the gas and the RMP's jump up to like 3 or so, the "take-off" of the car is just god awful. Once I get going it seems much better/smoother, but the initial start off is just horrible...is this standard for most cars? or is there something slightly off here

It also seems like I"m chewing through gas really quickly, for a car that gets 22 city / 34 highway, I seem like I drove a few miles and the gas tank is slowly decreasing

I feel bad because I just purchased the car, but I'm already fairly unhappy with the performance...not sure what to do, driving the car is making me nuts. I love everything else about the car outside of the performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well to be thinking birds-eye-view about this, it IS an economy car, and the lower trim at that. The 1.4L Turbo is the one with more peppy torque.. Even with that, the Auto 6 speed is probably the more limiting factor on the "fun". But since there are many other factors to enjoy about the car, enjoy them! :)

I just ordered a 2012 Cruze, and will be trading in my 2003 BMW 330i for it. It's a sizeable drop in power for me, but I drove the 1.4L turbo with 6 spd Manual and it's going to be quite nice anyways. Passing power IS there, albeit less balls-to-the-wall. (haha).

From what I've been researching w/ folks in your similar situation on these forums,
1) Get the Trifecta Tune. Will definitely help your automatic shift points- but others who own the LS with Trifecta programming can better testify to that.
2) Add some parts- a nice header and freer-flowing exhaust and intake plumbing will help bring you back some snap in the performance.

With Trifecta Tuning helping you with torque and auto-transmission shifting, and some wider breathing parts in the intake/exhaust system, I think you'll see a nice difference in your car that will definitely bring back some enjoyment!

My .02
Sam

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
trifecta on the ls will make your car so much better,dont even bther with an intake its literally all noise for the 1.8l the car is much faster with the stock intake,you can order for steve at insanespeed motorsports hes a vendor on here and a trifecta dealer both of them have great customor service,infact vince is helping me with my tune on his day off that how good there service is,but the tune will help so much its crazy

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Have heard good results with Trifecta on LS and solves most of the automatic trans issues, just do a search. I have a 2011 ECO 6MT and the Trifecta tune gives a nice boost to performance and economy.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I agree entirely!! I have a 1.8 LS also and tuned. Does not drive like the same car!!!!

trifecta on the ls will make your car so much better,dont even bther with an intake its literally all noise for the 1.8l the car is much faster with the stock intake,you can order for steve at insanespeed motorsports hes a vendor on here and a trifecta dealer both of them have great customor service,infact vince is helping me with my tune on his day off that how good there service is,but the tune will help so much its crazy

·
Registered
720 Posts
You might have a problem with the transmission. I think there have been software updates since the first cars were released. You probably have factory warranty. Take it to a dealer and complain. Or go test drive a new LS auto and see if they feel the same.

I have an LS manual and the power feels adequate. I get a steady 36 but I don't have any stop & go driving.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I purchased a Used 2011 Cruze LS - Automatic Transmissions with the 1.8L Engine, I test drove it and everything seemed good, the car fax was clean. But the more I drive it, it is just incredibly sluggish, it seems like I barely touch the gas and the RMP's jump up to like 3 or so, the "take-off" of the car is just god awful. Once I get going it seems much better/smoother, but the initial start off is just horrible...is this standard for most cars? or is there something slightly off here

It also seems like I"m chewing through gas really quickly, for a car that gets 22 city / 34 highway, I seem like I drove a few miles and the gas tank is slowly decreasing

I feel bad because I just purchased the car, but I'm already fairly unhappy with the performance...not sure what to do, driving the car is making me nuts. I love everything else about the car outside of the performance.

ironboblol,
I would like to congratulate you on the purchase of your new Cruze! The way it drives and performs may take some getting use to compared to previous vehicles. I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your local dealership if you feel that it is not performing properly. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Forget them! get the Tune. It will pick the car up like you would not believe!

ironboblol,
I would like to congratulate you on the purchase of your new Cruze! The way it drives and performs may take some getting use to compared to previous vehicles. I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your local dealership if you feel that it is not performing properly. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
When I picked up my 2012, saw a half a dozen used 2011 Cruze's in a roll as I drove into the lot. Asked my salesman about that, are people already trading these things in already, maybe I don't want to buy one. He said, Cruze's are so hot now, cannot meet the demand, so picked these up at an auction from a rental agency. Just commented, really wouldn't buy one of those, renters pound them to death and maintenance is very poor.

Did you by any chance did you get one of these? Have a used car dealership in town that deals exclusively with rentals. A friend got a job there as a salesman, but quit after two days, said, I cannot lie and cheat people like that!

With my long background as an automotive engineer and as an expert witness, just can't go along with modifying a vehicle. The guys designing these engines have a whole host of governmental agencies to deal with and they are not idiots. Make sure you are not breaking any laws and a good way to get caught if not at an emissions test facility is to be involved in an automotive accident. If you modified your vehicle in any manner, even switching the air cleaner, and didn't report this to your insurance company, may be denied claim coverage. This country has become this ridiculous. EPA can fine you $25,000.00 for modifications, granted, not easy to enforce, but is a possibility of getting caught.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know much about where the car came from, outside of that it had a clean carfax. My main issue is that I love everything about the car, outside of the performance, it is just so incredibly jerky and slow it drives me nuts everytime I'm in it

I don't really want to trade it in, becuase i'll end up taking a few thousand dollar hit

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I don't know much about where the car came from, outside of that it had a clean carfax. My main issue is that I love everything about the car, outside of the performance, it is just so incredibly jerky and slow it drives me nuts everytime I'm in it

I don't really want to trade it in, becuase i'll end up taking a few thousand dollar hit
Its definitely less than three years old, how many miles are on this vehicle? Is your check engine lamp on? Car should do 0-60 mph in under ten seconds, and how is your fuel mileage? How about engine starting? Does it fire right up as soon as you hit the key?

Doesn't take much of anything to kill the performance on these things. Little oil on the MAF sensor, a tad of carbon on just one spark plug center electrode. That causes a minor misfire, excess oxygen to the O2 sensors, thinks its running lean, so applies more fuel to the other three causing a run rich condition. Minor vacuum leak, maybe someone knocked off the hose.

Did you buy this from a Chevy dealer, used car dealer, or a private party? All factors in getting your vehicle repaired right. But if still under warranty, any Chevy dealer should be happy to look at it, they get paid for this by GM.

Just one sensor, say the MAP can be out of tolerance, not generate a code, but fuel mixture and timing will be way off causing very poor performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its definitely less than three years old, how many miles are on this vehicle? Is your check engine lamp on? Car should do 0-60 mph in under ten seconds, and how is your fuel mileage? How about engine starting? Does it fire right up as soon as you hit the key?

Doesn't take much of anything to kill the performance on these things. Little oil on the MAF sensor, a tad of carbon on just one spark plug center electrode. That causes a minor misfire, excess oxygen to the O2 sensors, thinks its running lean, so applies more fuel to the other three causing a run rich condition. Minor vacuum leak, maybe someone knocked off the hose.

Did you buy this from a Chevy dealer, used car dealer, or a private party? All factors in getting your vehicle repaired right. But if still under warranty, any Chevy dealer should be happy to look at it, they get paid for this by GM.

Just one sensor, say the MAP can be out of tolerance, not generate a code, but fuel mixture and timing will be way off causing very poor performance.
I bought it used from a honda dealership, its a 2011 with 30k miles on it, no check engine lamp, the fuel mileage seems decent like 22 MPG City, I don't see much of a problem with the start up, its just so increidly slow and jerky through the gears

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could be drivetrain problems as well, can only go by your word. Still under warranty, find a good Chevy dealer.

One thing I noticed about my Cruze, really a coaster, if I see a 45 mph speed limit ahead and take my foot off the gas in a 55, still going about 53 mph when I hit that 45 mph zone. Ha, just watch out for cops, be darn if I am going to waste gas stepping on the brakes.

How does yours coast?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts

I THINK that you can certainly get the HISTORY of your car by having your dealer enter the VIN number into their computers and get the car's history from DAY ONE! That said, if this dealer is the one that sold you the car and lied about its history or is trying to hide something, then they'll probably tell you they can't do that. Find another dealer if that happens. I hate slimy dealers/salesmen etc.

If it's any comfort to you, my 2011 LTZ RS turbo was just a year old on Valentine's day. I have 6,700 miles on the car and it still shifts like crap! Very jerky at times. Just today it did another weird "banging/slipping" into gear pulling out of a driveway! Also, when pulling out into traffic, I NEVER know if the car is going to move OR if I have to floor it to get it to go! It's like the gas pedal and the engine are definitely NOT communicating. My 2004 Chevy Aveo is like a "jet" compared to this car! People in this forum tell me it's the "drive by wire" setup whatever that is! What was wrong with a gas pedal being connected to the engine the old fashioned way? I still say that Detroit has a way of using US as guinea pigs to test their cars. For a car that was in production in other countries for several years and supposedly tested for 4 MILLION miles, it leaves several things to be desired!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.