Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
When I picked up my 2012, saw a half a dozen used 2011 Cruze's in a roll as I drove into the lot. Asked my salesman about that, are people already trading these things in already, maybe I don't want to buy one. He said, Cruze's are so hot now, cannot meet the demand, so picked these up at an auction from a rental agency. Just commented, really wouldn't buy one of those, renters pound them to death and maintenance is very poor.

Did you by any chance did you get one of these? Have a used car dealership in town that deals exclusively with rentals. A friend got a job there as a salesman, but quit after two days, said, I cannot lie and cheat people like that!

With my long background as an automotive engineer and as an expert witness, just can't go along with modifying a vehicle. The guys designing these engines have a whole host of governmental agencies to deal with and they are not idiots. Make sure you are not breaking any laws and a good way to get caught if not at an emissions test facility is to be involved in an automotive accident. If you modified your vehicle in any manner, even switching the air cleaner, and didn't report this to your insurance company, may be denied claim coverage. This country has become this ridiculous. EPA can fine you $25,000.00 for modifications, granted, not easy to enforce, but is a possibility of getting caught.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I don't know much about where the car came from, outside of that it had a clean carfax. My main issue is that I love everything about the car, outside of the performance, it is just so incredibly jerky and slow it drives me nuts everytime I'm in it

I don't really want to trade it in, becuase i'll end up taking a few thousand dollar hit
Its definitely less than three years old, how many miles are on this vehicle? Is your check engine lamp on? Car should do 0-60 mph in under ten seconds, and how is your fuel mileage? How about engine starting? Does it fire right up as soon as you hit the key?

Doesn't take much of anything to kill the performance on these things. Little oil on the MAF sensor, a tad of carbon on just one spark plug center electrode. That causes a minor misfire, excess oxygen to the O2 sensors, thinks its running lean, so applies more fuel to the other three causing a run rich condition. Minor vacuum leak, maybe someone knocked off the hose.

Did you buy this from a Chevy dealer, used car dealer, or a private party? All factors in getting your vehicle repaired right. But if still under warranty, any Chevy dealer should be happy to look at it, they get paid for this by GM.

Just one sensor, say the MAP can be out of tolerance, not generate a code, but fuel mixture and timing will be way off causing very poor performance.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could be drivetrain problems as well, can only go by your word. Still under warranty, find a good Chevy dealer.

One thing I noticed about my Cruze, really a coaster, if I see a 45 mph speed limit ahead and take my foot off the gas in a 55, still going about 53 mph when I hit that 45 mph zone. Ha, just watch out for cops, be darn if I am going to waste gas stepping on the brakes.

How does yours coast?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can see where taking this vehicle into a Trifecta shop, they can test it, and even find the problem. With mail order service, software just cannot repair a hardware problem.

In working with military self diagnostic systems, a far cry from consumer in that military uses all backup reference systems. Do not have that luxury in consumer quality automotive, have to assume that sensor data is accurate, nothing to compare it with. Best thing one can do is to pull all these sensors, in particular the linear ones and test those against manufacturers specifications. But even that is getting to be impossible because of liability and warranty considerations, they don't want to provide that information. Can buy a hundred such sensors and generate your own mean curve.

Initial timing is a key specification that drastically affects both performance and economy. That also became history with the advent of distributorless ignition systems and the use of fixed crank angle sensors, can install a degree wheel with a pointer to learn what it is, but still no specification and no means to adjust it. Have to take their word for it. In the USA, this method was strictly enforced by our EPA, they don't want you to fool around with your own vehicle.

Really can't say I am impressed with this curve. Only about a 1.7% improvement. As far as the OP is concerned, purchased a broken car, still under warranty, and should get it fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.