Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 100,000 miles on my '13 1.4L rs lt. Replaced the valve cover, water house, inlet hose, and a gasket (dont remeber what one). New battery last week. Car was in idle and just shut off today. Started right back up and has done this 2x in one day. I'm going to get my alternator tested just because, and I know my purge valve canister is needing replaced as it has the loud ticking. My question is, would this be what causes the car to shut off? I did notice a gas smell once today. I'm just trying to diagnose the problem before it doesnt start at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, would this cause burning oil? Just another issue I have noticed, havent seen a leak so I'm assuming its buring it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am not a mechanic but will respond because of my own DIY experience with this issue.
My 2012 Eco acted weird- running rough and starting hard at the gas pump after filling the tank.

A code and CEL popped up, it pertained to the evaporative purge valve/solenoid. The louder than normal clicking is the failing solenoid, (not to be confused with the normal fuel injectors clicking).
I purchased a new purge valve unit from a local parts store ($40 but less on line) and installed it myself in 10 minutes. It is right on top off the intake manifold, easy fix but be careful of the plastic parts, check out youtube videos. CEL turned off after a week of driving cycles.

This issue has nothing to do with burning oil, battery or alternator. It is simply a way to not let fuel system vapors escape into the atmosphere, but when the valve fails, fuel cannot flow consistently.

Burning Oil- Please read the PCV system information posted by the very experienced members of this forum asap. You will need to go further than just replacing the valve cover.

Hope this helps, I invite corrections if I am mistaken on anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it has nothing to do with the battery or alternator. I guess I could have worded that better. Would the fuel/air mixture being non consistent shut the car off? It isnt just after filling it has a rough idle, nor when it randomly shut off. No code has been thrown yet either. These forums are the only reason I haven't ran my car into the ground nor paid for repairs at the shop 😁 thank you for the input on the burning oil. I'll definitely start looking deeper into that also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMHO yes, a faulty purge valve could cause the car to turn off. Your symptoms might be different than mine were.

I agree 100%, this forum has saved me thousands as well, these CT members have been dealing with cruze issues for 10 years, all documented for us, amazing.

The PCV system is a major design flaw in the gen1 1.4 cruze. It cannot be overstated. I replaced my cover, intake manifold and pcv hose 'intake to turbo' successfully, but wish I had also purchased one of the pcv "fix kits" available from:

Although I wasn't burning oil during normal combustion, oil was leaking down onto exhaust and causing the smell. No driveway spots evidence. Not always visible from top of the engine compartment. Excess crankcase pressure caused by malfunctioning pcv system was pushing oil out.
That's about all I can offer from my own limited experience, definitely read, read, read (start with xtremerevolution posts) and best of luck with your repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
IMHO yes, a faulty purge valve could cause the car to turn off. Your symptoms might be different than mine were.

I agree 100%, this forum has saved me thousands as well, these CT members have been dealing with cruze issues for 10 years, all documented for us, amazing.

The PCV system is a major design flaw in the gen1 1.4 cruze. It cannot be overstated. I replaced my cover, intake manifold and pcv hose 'intake to turbo' successfully, but wish I had also purchased one of the pcv "fix kits" available from:

Although I wasn't burning oil during normal combustion, oil was leaking down onto exhaust and causing the smell. No driveway spots evidence. Not always visible from top of the engine compartment. Excess crankcase pressure caused by malfunctioning pcv system was pushing oil out.
That's about all I can offer from my own limited experience, definitely read, read, read (start with xtremerevolution posts) and best of luck with your repairs.
You can purchase version three that does not require you to remove any major parts to install, just a few hoses. Very easy and he found a cheaper valve as well so the whole kit is less now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts