Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed the EGR valve today.
Just as a PM, no issues yet @ 60k miles.
Did not look as bad as I expected.
Cruze has had only Dexos-2, changed every 6k miles.
Dieseldr

MOD - just discovered I posted this in the wrong forum - please move if possible
cruze_egr_valve

Reactions: 91794 and Rivergoer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,235 Posts
Ours wasn't awful around that mileage, but it definitely was getting sticky. The intake manifold (what I could see) looked absolutely terrible.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recently had a BMW 335D. (6 cylinder dual-turbo 3.0L Diesel)
Intake ended up filled with carbon deposits, swirl valves having problems.
Under extended warranty, BMW walnut shell blasted the plastic intake manifold runner internals, worked great after.
Not sure this is an option w/ the Cruze, but the cost of a replacement intake is around $1k, as far as I can Google.
Wonder if I could find a used intake, Walnut shell blast it clean and then do a swap?
Dieseldr

Reactions: 91794

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I cleaned my EGR and replaced the map sensor in the intake. I am not really worried about what could happen with the deposits. I am aware but not concerned about it. We have members with 200k miles with no real intake deposit issues, will deal with it if it happens.

·
Registered
256 Posts
EGR + oil vapor from the PCV system is the real problem. The soot and oil combine to form a plaque, it forms on the intake tract and that is what you guys are seeing.

If you can install an oil seperator or filtered catch can on the PCV system, like the MANN Provent, then the soot by itself becomes much less of a problem for the intake. IDparts has the provent and a spare filter for less than $170.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts