Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put in new plugs tonight. Gapped them to .032
Cruze has 76,500+ miles.
I assume the plugs in it were OEM. They are NGK Iridium IFR7X76. They looked reasonably good. They were gapped to .24/.25.
Looking forward to seeing how my MPG improves.
Thank you everyone for all the information on the subject.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put in new plugs tonight. Gapped them to .32
Cruze has 76,500+ miles.
I assume the plugs in it were OEM. They are NGK Iridium IFR7X76. They looked reasonably good. They were gapped to .24/.25.
Please let us know the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
The gaps were 0.032 or 0.32? Gonna go on a limb and say the car drives well then it's 0.032 gap. I ran those plugs as well as the BKR7EIX and BKR7E coppers and they fared out well. If you get some blow out at 3k rpms when going wot bring the gaps back down to 0.028.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Put in new plugs tonight. Gapped them to .32
Cruze has 76,500+ miles.
Curious to know if you weighed the old plugs, and the new ones, to see if there's a total mass difference realized by this change?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Iridium BKR8EIX is the right plug on a high boosted cruze, Stock gap is good and i would recommend most cruzers leave gap stock.
I had to drop mine down to 20 thou to fix heavy spark blowout 3-4k rpm.

No measurable MPG difference, i was doing 50 MPG @ 50 MPH on a road trip with this gap and lower compression ratio on my pistons.
I lost more MPG's by removing the plastic panels under the engine, that really took a toll over 65 MPH.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
You won't see a MPG gain but you will see improved low RPM responsiveness from the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put in new plugs tonight. Gapped them to .032
Cruze has 76,500+ miles.
Hey bud,

Everything online is telling me that these wont fit a 2014 chevy cruze eco manual transmission. Yet it seems that people on the forums are using these for that exact purpose. can you confirm these work for a 2014 cruze 1.4t manual?

Jordan

·
Registered
8 Posts
You won't see a MPG gain but you will see improved low RPM responsiveness from the engine.
Hi Ober,

Maybe you are the better one for this question.
Everything online(autozone/advanced) is telling me that these wont fit a 2014 chevy cruze eco manual transmission. Yet it seems that people on the forums are using these for that exact purpose. can you confirm these work for a 2014 cruze 1.4t manual?

Jordan

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Hi Ober,

Maybe you are the better one for this question.
Everything online(autozone/advanced) is telling me that these wont fit a 2014 chevy cruze eco manual transmission. Yet it seems that people on the forums are using these for that exact purpose. can you confirm these work for a 2014 cruze 1.4t manual?

Jordan
Hey bud,

Everything online is telling me that these wont fit a 2014 chevy cruze eco manual transmission. Yet it seems that people on the forums are using these for that exact purpose. can you confirm these work for a 2014 cruze 1.4t manual?

Jordan
Iridium BKR8EIX is the right plug on a high boosted cruze, Stock gap is good and i would recommend most cruzers leave gap stock.
I had to drop mine down to 20 thou to fix heavy spark blowout 3-4k rpm.

No measurable MPG difference, i was doing 50 MPG @ 50 MPH on a road trip with this gap and lower compression ratio on my pistons.
I lost more MPG's by removing the plastic panels under the engine, that really took a toll over 65 MPH.
Multi-quoted for context. Also, all are for the Gen 1 Cruze 1.4T (LT, LTZ, ECO).

NGK BKR8EIX will give the best "long" term low RPM responsiveness and should be good for up to 60,000 miles if you set the initial gap at 0.028"
NGK BKR7E vPower Copper plugs are probably the single best plug for the Gen 1's 1.4T engine, but they have to be regapped after about 10,000 miles and replaced between 15 and 20,000 miles.
NGK IFR7X76 are rebranded as AC Delco and used in some model years as the OEM plug

The BKR plugs will not be listed as "won't fit" by anyone, but they do fit and provide better low end performance and as good high end performance as the OEM plugs, which are rated for 100,000 miles with the initial gap set at 0.028"

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hey ober can't remember if you guys said anything about a copper NGK BKR8E vPower. Is there one? Haven't checked around but was curious if the different heat range would perform better. I currently am running the NGK BKR7E vPower.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
Hey ober can't remember if you guys said anything about a copper NGK BKR8E vPower. Is there one? Haven't checked around but was curious if the different heat range would perform better. I currently am running the NGK BKR7E vPower.
Yes, they exist, but they are hard to come by. I don't think that it would offer any performance benefit over the copper 7's. Blue Angel was the only forum member that I know running them. He liked to drive his car at the very low end of the RPM range, "lugging" as much as possible for fuel economy. I believe they offered small power/efficiency gains for him in that RPM range.

The NGK plugs seem to heat scavenge differently between the iridium and nickel/copper plugs designs, which is why the 8 were recommended in iridium form.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Well I'm typically on the lugging end myself that's why I asked. When I can I'm shifting to 6th at 37-38 mph lol. I feel like I remember something about dirt bikes running a 8 plug on the 400 page plug thread. Ill have to look around. My coppers have to be getting close to used up time to get ahead of the game if I wanna try something new.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I’m running the bkr8eix @ .030” gap. Definitely better on the bottom end. I shift @ 1500 rpm and get into 6th by 30-35mph. Will be due for new plugs at the end of this summer and will be going with these again.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yes, they exist, but they are hard to come by. I don't think that it would offer any performance benefit over the copper 7's. Blue Angel was the only forum member that I know running them. He liked to drive his car at the very low end of the RPM range, "lugging" as much as possible for fuel economy. I believe they offered small power/efficiency gains for him in that RPM range.

The NGK plugs seem to heat scavenge differently between the iridium and nickel/copper plugs designs, which is why the 8 were recommended in iridium form.
Do you happen to know the part number? All I can find in heat range 8 seems to be racing which are resistorless...not sure but guessing we don't want that. Why can't they make things simple?

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Well I'm typically on the lugging end myself that's why I asked. When I can I'm shifting to 6th at 37-38 mph lol. I feel like I remember something about dirt bikes running a 8 plug on the 400 page plug thread. Ill have to look around. My coppers have to be getting close to used up time to get ahead of the game if I wanna try something new.
The BKR7E's are what I preferred and my preferred RPM range was around 1600 RPM - just enough to trigger DFCO when I started slowing down. I was also frequently in 6th gear at the 37-38 MPH point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've used the NGK Iridium IX plugs in a couple of other applications, not a Cruze, and have found them to be probably the best plugs I ever used in terms of quick starting, never a skip, and longevity. When I need to replace the plugs in my Cruze, the NGK Iridium IX will be the replacement. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Well I found the part number but to get it in US seems need to buy from eBay or have a Honda dealer or bike shop order them. Seems like a pita. I don't like Ebay for some particular reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts