Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here upgrade from the Gen 1 Cruze to the Gen 2 Cruze notice that build quality seems to be lacking vs the old car?

My old 2013 Cruze had very few issues from the beginning. So far my 2016 Cruze had a loose rearview mirror (that the dealer said was normal, but that I was able/forced to fix on my own), it has very noticeable wind noise from both front doors, and today I just noticed that after our storms here it has moisture in both headlight housings.

The car design/tech itself is much better than Gen 1, but I've only had this car for about 3 weeks and I'm going to have to bring it to the dealership already. It just seems like the overall quality of the Gen 2 cars is bad vs the Gen 1.

Anyone else notice this? Or has your transition from Gen 1 to Gen 2 been smooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifTVjaZ8uE video of my loose rearview mirror

IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1431.jpg Moisture in both headlights

I'm definitely bringing it to the dealer for some warranty work, just not sure when I'll be able to, unfortunately 9-5 jobs aren't really compatible with dealership service department hours.lol I'm just hoping that one of my local dealerships offers a free rental car as I'm expecting to have to leave it overnight at the very least. It's just really annoying because it's a brand new 2016, it shouldn't have these types of issues within 3 weeks of purchase. I'm also torn between bringing it to my local Chevy or Buick/Cadillac dealership or bringing it back to the dealership where I bought the car, as it's 50 miles. If away.

Attachments

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts
Headlight housings are vented. The moisture will go away.

I had a lot of initial quality issues with my 2012. Struts replaced at 1000 miles; A/C issues, and some other stuff I've mostly forgotten. Nothing on the 2016 so far - only had it 4? months though. What's your build date?

·
10,685 Posts
In their defense, the gen 1 2011 wasn't that well put out there as a 1st year production model either. Granted my 2013 was back in the dealership 3 times the 1st month of ownership and that set the tone for the next 3 years. As for Chevy vs Cadillac, I'd go back to Chevy outside of a simple oil changes as they may not know the different issues the gen 2 has and you will literally be their beta if they take on the challenge. Were you able to do a saturday or you work those too? My only issue at my old dealer is no test drives by tech were done on saturdays.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, 2 of the dealerships want it during the week for the wind noise issue because not enough techs are there. My Cadillac dealership is the one that said they might be able to look at it on a Saturday for the wind noise.

Interesting that they went with a vented housing. The old cars didn't have that did they? I don't remember my 2013 ever having an issue with moisture. It just doesn't look good when you walk out to your new car and hit the unlock button and see 2 headlights partially obscured by moisture. I just did a search about this issue on new cars, looks like Subaru has similar complaints and that dealerships say its normal. Kinda lame. I'll have to look up my build date. I'm guessing it was early-mid 2016, Cruzes don't sell quickly in my area so maybe it was on the lot for a bit.

Only real issues I had on my 2013 were related to the the buggy MyLink system. Only real mechanical issues I had was a water pump seal (no leaks, just a weird noise) and a turbo charger cooling hose that leaked around the 97k mark.

Part of me almost wants to see the quality difference between the Lordstown built Cruzes and the Mexico built Cruzes.lol Whenever I see that "UAW Built With Pride" or whatever sticker on my cars it makes me wonder... lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should be no difference in quality between US and Mexico built units, processes are the same and so are the parts. Unfortunately the quality of the parts isn't similar with the Japanese ones and the fit and finesse quality is way below the German standards. You get what you pay for...

·
10,685 Posts
GM in general has had vented headlights. My 98 Buick Century had 2 rubber boots that came off the headlights and pointed down for ventilation. After a few used sets I found some that didn't haze over. Reminds me I still have the old set in the garage to get rid of...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've not seen any quality issues from my 14 to 16, except the interior B pillar panel has scratched easily from the keys I keep on my hip, didn't notice the panel scratching on my 14 from this

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
I sat in one of the Mexican Hatchbacks and I thought it was quite boring, Interior all one color, that hideous Beige G.M. uses. In contrast my 2014 is 3 different colors. I also noticed the Pillar trim on one side didn't line up and fit right leaving a seam. Car did nothing for me

·
16,536 Posts
I sat in one of the Mexican Hatchbacks and I thought it was quite boring, Interior all one color, that hideous Beige G.M. uses. In contrast my 2014 is 3 different colors. I also noticed the Pillar trim on one side didn't line up and fit right leaving a seam. Car did nothing for me
Sup Eddy, that's nice!

Perhaps you should have looked at a kalahari interiored Cruzen
DSC09809-800x532.jpg

Personally I like mine all black, but it's up to you.

·
10,685 Posts
Sup Eddy, that's nice!

Perhaps you should have looked at a kalahari interiored Cruzen
View attachment 217442

Personally I like mine all black, but it's up to you.
I also 2nd the all black vs that and whatever the random Gray/Blue shading 1LT Malibu has. Gap filament wasn't as noticeable to me in gen 2 as it was in gen 1 how the pointy glovebox edges didn't quite line up with the shape of the door panels.

·
16,536 Posts
I also 2nd the all black vs that and whatever the random Gray/Blue shading 1LT Malibu has. Gap filament wasn't as noticeable to me in gen 2 as it was in gen 1 how the pointy glovebox edges didn't quite line up with the shape of the door panels.
At least the dang doors line up on this one!

·
10,685 Posts
At least the dang doors line up on this one!
Reaching to turn off the auto headlights would set off OCD when you see that part of the dash doesn't line up at all. It's not like I take that door panel or that dash panel off a lot and it just didn't go back right anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
You went from a mid-year first gen to a first year second gen, of course quality is gonna be lacking, and any car person knows the first production year of any new car or complete redesign is 9/10 times the worst one to get.

·
10,685 Posts
You went from a mid-year first gen to a first year second gen, of course quality is gonna be lacking, and any car person knows the first production year of any new car or complete redesign is 9/10 times the worst one to get.
Still too soon to know unless a 16 owner gets a 17 as a loaner to see if the glove box light, floor mat achors, and a few other randoms disappear like Gen 1.

For me in the Accord world, I had to buy a $5 interior trunk handle and cut the liner for it to fit because it got deleted later in the gen refresh.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Still too soon to know unless a 16 owner gets a 17 as a loaner to see if the glove box light, floor mat achors, and a few other randoms disappear like Gen 1.

For me in the Accord world, I had to buy a $5 interior trunk handle and cut the liner for it to fit because it got deleted later in the gen refresh.
Let me rephrase, usually the worst in quality...but best in (physical) features.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts