Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how good the quality of the gas is that you get from these gas stations?

1. Liberty Petroleum (Liberty Gas Stations) - About Liberty Petroleum

2. Martin's/Giant - GIANT® Food Stores -
MARTIN’S® Food Markets

3. Kroger - Kroger

4. Wal-Mart/ Murphy USA - Which Brand is the Best Quality Gasoline - Best Quality Gas

* I know that Giant grocery stores give discounts for Shell gas, so would it be correct to assume that the Giant/Martin's grocery store branded gas is really Shell gas?

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I used to get Meijer gas(don't know if you have that or not), but when I did fill up with Meijer gas, I'd save 5 cents a gal. but I'd also average 27-28mpg. I since then switched to Payless gas, I think Payless and Kroger are related somehow, anyway I get 87 octane and 10 cents off a gal whenever I get 100 points, I now get 30mpg overall, but tank average between fill ups, same driving, nothing different, are at 31-33mpg. If that helps lol.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
Liberty down here caused my parents Yaris to completely fail. There was more ethanol in the Gas than actual Gas and it just destroyed the whole fuel line, which according to the dealer had to be replaced. I was too young to care, although part of the repair bill came from my pocket because i felt bad for them (REGRET THIS PART).

I don't know the rest of the gas stations lol I use only Shell or Chevron.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Liberty is not the greatest quality, but it is better than Racetrack. It really depends on the actual station and how well they maintain their pumps & storage, more than the gas itself. All gas stations get the same gas, the only difference is what additives they put in it. Most of your Cheaper/No Name brands don't use any additives.

Kroger can also save you $.10 per gallon at Shell, but they are not the same, just have a deal together.

Personally, I only buy gas from Exxon, Chevron or Shell, and I will get it from Kroger from time to time. I have had bad experiences with other brands, in my other vehicles.

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
Kroger owns King Soopers and City Market, both of which can get you discounts at many Shell stations as well.

Many off brand stations have perfectly good gas. There is a minimum detergent standard in the US that all stations must meet. Also, because these stations tend to be cheaper they have a lot more gas flowing through their tanks and pumps, which keeps the overall sediment levels down.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,605 Posts
I used to run Kroger when I lived in Blacksburg or whenever I go through Richmond. Never had any problems with it, and both of my cars were extremely picky about what gas they like.

I stay away from Liberty - it is the cheapest here, but my car runs like poop on it.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Also, because these stations tend to be cheaper they have a lot more gas flowing through their tanks and pumps, which keeps the overall sediment levels down.
It isn't as much the sediment, that causes issues, as a buildup of water in the tanks. If they do not maintain the tanks properly they will get water in there, even if gas flows through a lot, which a lot of the cheaper places do not.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think the supreme grade at Liberty is okay to use at all? So is Liberty using more than 10% ethanol and does anyone know how much additives/detergents Liberty uses?

Anybody have any good or bad reviews when using gas from Martin's/GIANT grocery stores?

What about the quality of gas from stations like Marathon, Sunoco, Royal (Royal Mart), and PURE? Supposedly Royal Mart gas and PURE gas are ethanol free and some Liberty gas stations also offer Ethanol free gas. Anybody care to share their experience with these gases?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I've been using Sunoco for many years. I have two BP and one Sunoco stations within about a mile of my house, but I drive an additional 3 miles to another Sunoco station that is consistently lower priced. Two days ago, I filled the P5 at the cheap station with 87 E10 for $3.21/gal. The three stations nearest my house were $3.49/gal. for the same stuff. The P5 has had this gas in it for nearly all of it's 10 year life with absolutely no problems. The old '97 Civic also had this gas in it for the last 10 years of its time with us. Again, no engine issues what so ever. Is it right for my new car? Don't know yet, but I will find out. Is it right for a 1.4LT Cruze? Probably not. The only E0 around here is at marinas, at least $1 a gallon more expensive, and I haven't figured out how to get my car out on the dock to reach the pumps.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I stick with top tier gas. A Shell station around me is very competitively priced to other stations in my area. If I didn't have a reasonably priced top tier station in the area, Sunoco would be my next choice.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I thought Sunoco wasn't that good of gas quality?
I can remember when Sunoco 260 was the absolute "best" (highest octane!) gasoline available for high-compression engines to use!

Guess maybe they've lowered their quality over the years! There aren't any Suncoco stations around here anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I thought Sunoco wasn't that good of gas quality?
What, NASCAR isn't good enough for you? Just kidding. Two cars, 10 years each, no engine porblems, what isn't good?

·
Banned
168 Posts
Best bet is to always use Top Tier brands. Here is a link to an explanation and it has a link at the bottom to the Top Tier brands. If you don't use Top Tier brands consistently, then every 5000 miles or so, invest in a bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner. Techron is the only detergent additive that works. It is in some top tier brands as one of the detergent package materials - it is in Shell 93 octane I know for sure and I think Shell is now using it in all their grades.

If you consistently use Top Tier or other brands with a dose of Techron at 5000 mile intervals, you can consistently tell the service facility to go sit on it when they recommend a fuel injection system service.

Techron is the only fuel injector cleaner that contains polyetheramine as the active ingredient. This is a powerful deposit softener and is expensive to produce, so that is why Techron is more expensive than the others.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What, NASCAR isn't good enough for you? Just kidding. Two cars, 10 years each, no engine porblems, what isn't good?
Lol, I didn't even realize that Sunoco gas was the official fuel of NASCAR. I guess you learn something new everyday. So, I guess it must be good gas than. Have you ever used the Ultra 93 grade that's available at Sunoco? If so, have you used it in your Cruze? Any noticeable benefits by using the ultra 93?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I haven't tried Sunoco's 93 E10 yet. I plan to after AC season is over to compare it with the 87 E10 benchmark I have. It better be an impressive improvement over 87 E10 as 93 is usually at least $.45/gal. more here. Sunoco here has 87/89/91/93 octane at the pumps. After I try 93, I should be able to interpolate the other two, see if it's worth going up in grade. Again, the effects on a 1.4L Cruze will be very different than my car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,605 Posts
Lol, I didn't even realize that Sunoco gas was the official fuel of NASCAR. I guess you learn something new everyday. So, I guess it must be good gas than. Have you ever used the Ultra 93 grade that's available at Sunoco? If so, have you used it in your Cruze? Any noticeable benefits by using the ultra 93?
Runs great. Huge smoothness (ie little timing pull) improvement over 85-90 outside temp over 89 octane.

It's still there sometimes when accelerating somewhat hard in traffic with the ac running full blast, BUT I haven't found a 93 octane fuel yet that doesn't "skip" a beat every now and then in the 1.4t when it's real hot.

Jim, my experience with Hondas 4 cyls has been that short of the Acura motors, it makes no difference whatsoever in what you put in the tank. They'll run just fine on 87 and no better on 93.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts