Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew through my factory oil changes with my '14 CTD. Today was the first time that I have changed the oil. Some pics of the fun:

IMG_0398.jpg
I used Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Got it from a local auto parts store for $9.15 a liter. I also used a WIX WL10021. Got that from Amazon. Filter is made in Poland. First time I've bought a filter that was made in Poland.

Second thing was to locate the filter assembly. It is tucked up underneath the alternator. I used a 32MM six point socket on with my 1/2" drive ratchet. The access is pretty easy and with the ratchet the cover comes off pretty easy. Make sure you put a drip pan underneath the filter assembly, you will get a few drips, nothing too crazy.
IMG_0397.jpg

The picture is not worth much, but trust me the filter assembly is right below the alternator. Once I got the filter cover loose, I could not bring it up through the top, was being careful not to dump the contents of the cover and filter. instead I put the cover down on the frame and reached up from underneath the car to get the used filter.

IMG_0407.jpg

This is actually a picture of the new filter getting ready to be installed, but this is where I put the old filter so I could reach up and remove from below.

Picture of used filter in the cover:
IMG_0400.jpg
Used oil in the pan:
IMG_0409.jpg
First diesel oil change for me, the used stuff is a bit messier then the oil that comes out of the gassers, but cleans up nonetheless. Just be ready with a rag and breakclean to clean up any drips that hit the garage floor.

The drain plug is a 13mm and it is a nifty little valve. I thought I took a picture of the pan and plug, but I did not, I was wearing nitrile gloves, and obviously did not push the button.
I did not use ramps, I jacked the car up and used stands. I also rotated the tires. I should have did the air filter, I'll get that next time, or when I have to do the fuel filter.

All in all not a bad job. Filter is easy to get too as well as the drain plug on the pan.

I'll keep an eye on the mileage to see if I get a bump by switching to the Mobil1.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post. It's definitely not a bad job but it can be a bit messy. I still have yet to perfect it. You can get the filter up through the top if you move it toward the center of the engine along the firewall but I like your idea too. I did a DIY on this a couple years ago:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/169-chevy-cruze-diesel-how-diy-library/40489-cruze-diesel-oil-change-diy.html
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that next time. I was too worried about dropping the filter and looked for a quick way out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How did a socket and ratchet fit between the bottom of the filter and the drain tray that is in there? Not gonna lie, I felt this was one of the worst cars to change oil on. Im used to plain site, no drip trays, just simple put a strap on the filter and twist off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Socket and ratchet fit just fine. Plenty of room to get both in. I was kind of surprised how easy it was. I used a Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet and a standard 6 point 32MM SK socket. Socket fits right on to the end of the filter cover. What dripped out was not much, but enough to put a drip pan underneath. I would imagine that if it were on a lift, it would be super easy to access from underneath.

It is a weird place for the filter for sure, but not too bad. GM did leave us enough room to access it. The absolute worst filter placement that I had was on a 83 Mazda. It was under the intake, firewall side.

The easiest that I've done is my 5.3L Silverado. I can roll right under have access to the filter and drain plug. No jacks, stands, or ramps.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
How did a socket and ratchet fit between the bottom of the filter and the drain tray that is in there? Not gonna lie, I felt this was one of the worst cars to change oil on. Im used to plain site, no drip trays, just simple put a strap on the filter and twist off.
its designed to be done from underneath

when done from underneath, it cant be any easier

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
What autopart store did you find the oil that cheap? Pepboys is the only place I find that oil. It's the same I use but been paying 12.00 a liter. Hope you only used 4.5 liters or you overfilled it

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I show a picture of that in my DIY link. (posted above)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts