Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew through my factory oil changes with my '14 CTD. Today was the first time that I have changed the oil. Some pics of the fun:

Vehicle Auto part Car Family car Engine

I used Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Got it from a local auto parts store for $9.15 a liter. I also used a WIX WL10021. Got that from Amazon. Filter is made in Poland. First time I've bought a filter that was made in Poland.

Second thing was to locate the filter assembly. It is tucked up underneath the alternator. I used a 32MM six point socket on with my 1/2" drive ratchet. The access is pretty easy and with the ratchet the cover comes off pretty easy. Make sure you put a drip pan underneath the filter assembly, you will get a few drips, nothing too crazy.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive tire

The picture is not worth much, but trust me the filter assembly is right below the alternator. Once I got the filter cover loose, I could not bring it up through the top, was being careful not to dump the contents of the cover and filter. instead I put the cover down on the frame and reached up from underneath the car to get the used filter.

Auto part Suspension part Suspension Fuel line Automotive fuel system

This is actually a picture of the new filter getting ready to be installed, but this is where I put the old filter so I could reach up and remove from below.

Picture of used filter in the cover:
Vehicle Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Car

Used oil in the pan:
Automotive tire Tire Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

First diesel oil change for me, the used stuff is a bit messier then the oil that comes out of the gassers, but cleans up nonetheless. Just be ready with a rag and breakclean to clean up any drips that hit the garage floor.

The drain plug is a 13mm and it is a nifty little valve. I thought I took a picture of the pan and plug, but I did not, I was wearing nitrile gloves, and obviously did not push the button.
I did not use ramps, I jacked the car up and used stands. I also rotated the tires. I should have did the air filter, I'll get that next time, or when I have to do the fuel filter.

All in all not a bad job. Filter is easy to get too as well as the drain plug on the pan.

I'll keep an eye on the mileage to see if I get a bump by switching to the Mobil1.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post. It's definitely not a bad job but it can be a bit messy. I still have yet to perfect it. You can get the filter up through the top if you move it toward the center of the engine along the firewall but I like your idea too. I did a DIY on this a couple years ago:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/169-...ibrary/40489-cruze-diesel-oil-change-diy.html
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that next time. I was too worried about dropping the filter and looked for a quick way out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How did a socket and ratchet fit between the bottom of the filter and the drain tray that is in there? Not gonna lie, I felt this was one of the worst cars to change oil on. Im used to plain site, no drip trays, just simple put a strap on the filter and twist off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Socket and ratchet fit just fine. Plenty of room to get both in. I was kind of surprised how easy it was. I used a Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet and a standard 6 point 32MM SK socket. Socket fits right on to the end of the filter cover. What dripped out was not much, but enough to put a drip pan underneath. I would imagine that if it were on a lift, it would be super easy to access from underneath.

It is a weird place for the filter for sure, but not too bad. GM did leave us enough room to access it. The absolute worst filter placement that I had was on a 83 Mazda. It was under the intake, firewall side.

The easiest that I've done is my 5.3L Silverado. I can roll right under have access to the filter and drain plug. No jacks, stands, or ramps.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
How did a socket and ratchet fit between the bottom of the filter and the drain tray that is in there? Not gonna lie, I felt this was one of the worst cars to change oil on. Im used to plain site, no drip trays, just simple put a strap on the filter and twist off.
its designed to be done from underneath

when done from underneath, it cant be any easier

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
What autopart store did you find the oil that cheap? Pepboys is the only place I find that oil. It's the same I use but been paying 12.00 a liter. Hope you only used 4.5 liters or you overfilled it

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I show a picture of that in my DIY link. (posted above)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts