Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting a tune done on my car. Everything I've seen makes it seem like the best option for what I want.
I live in Ohio in a county that requires me to have emissions testing done every couple of years. I won't have to worry about this for a while still since my Cruze is a 2015, but when the time comes, does the tune mess with emissions or anything that would cause me to fail the E-check?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Just got the EFI Live tune from BNR a few days ago. It's amazing. I've also had the trifecta tune. I'm taking a liking to the EFI flexibility, myself, though.

When I traded my 2012 in at the dealership, I watched them prep it for resale. They put it on the emissions dyno, and the guy didn't know it was tuned and couldn't believe how good the numbers were. He thought there was something wrong with the test equipment. He tells me he tests about 10 Cruzes for resale, a month. And has never seen numbers that good. There was nothing to tell that the Cruze had even been messed with, tune wise. I had nothing else done to it. He took it around the block and came back smiling. "This thing drives like it's got 40 more HP"

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I think they both have their pros. I don't really have anything bad to say about either one. You get to work directly with Jerry at BNR with his tune.

I've talked to him over email numerous times this week, and everything he's done has surpassed my expectations. The retunes have gotten back to me very quickly. With trifecta, you don't deal directly with the tuner. There is a middle man and sometimes that will take more time.

BNR tune has unlimited updated for free. And major updates with the trifecta tune. Like adding mods at a later date, will cost you money to retune.

I also think the BNR tune has better throttle response. And boost comes on quicker. It's a really smooth tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And these tunes, I'd basically talk to jerry, tell him what I want, he makes the tune and then send it to me? Do I need any special tools or anything to install it on the car, and once done, is it an immediate improvement? There should be a FAQ for these.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Here's your FAQ

1. Visit the website.
2. Select the tuning platform you're interested in.
3. Order it.
4. Receive some type of handheld device in the mail. (Depends on tune you purchase)
5. Download software into windows based computer. Example EFI Live Explorer.
6. Take handheld scanner to vehicle and plug it in. Turn the key to the ON position. Do not start. For push button vehicles. Hold down start button for 10 seconds do not depress brake pedal.
7. Have the handheld read and save a base tune from your vehicle.
8. Turn off vehicle and plug handheld into computer. Drag read file to a computer file you can access it from. Open email, email Jerry the base file. Jerry receives the file and creates a base tune for your vehicle and emails it back to you. Usually within a day.
9. Get the tune file Jerry created from your email and download it to your computer.
10. Plug the handheld into the computer and drag that file into efi live explorer and place it into the tune folder in the efi live handheld.
11. Unplug handheld, and plug it into your vehicle. Again, power off plug it in, power on to ON position. Do not start car.

12. Toggle to tune. Select OK tune will download you'll see 1-100% once that's done ( mine took seconds) less than 10 seconds.

13. Turn off the car and open the door to make sure nothing is still on. Radio, etc. start the car back out and drive and you will notice a difference immediately.

14. :p Head to the race track for some fill throttle runs. Since you should never race on the street and always obey all traffic signs.

15. Record your full throttle accelerations. Under data logging section. Unplug the handheld and plug it into your computer. Remove your data logged runs and email to Jerry for another update.

This second update is the most important one.

His first tune he sent you, was just a basic tune to load the file to your vehicle. Your data logged runs are how the car reacts to the tune and when you get his second tune back. Is when you'll feel the true power of the tune. When you get his second tune back. Repeat the steps to load the file to your vehicle.

Questions??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts