Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look at where the air bags are stored I have often wondered how they deploy that does not cause the hard plastic piece on the steering wheel from punching you in the face at 250 mph. Does it come out bottom crack first so hard plastic is towards windshield? The reason I want to know is I am considering mounting a business card holder on the passenger side of the dash right at the top part of the fabric material but in the case of deployment I would prefer not to impale my passenger.. Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm no expert, but I suspect the area where the airbag comes flying out of, is designed in a very specific way that keeps the plastic/dash from flying in your face. It's probably not a very good idea to stick some other object right over the top of where the airbag lives.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched some utube videos and on one it showed the steering wheel cover somehow split in the middle with 4 equal sides rotating outward and away from passenger. I have no idea how they did that since there does not appear to be any grooves or creases there seems like one solid piece.

One gm pickup or suv showed passenger dash looked like it came out the bottom seem and rotated dash piece away from the passenger towards the dash. If that is the way ours works I will have no problem doing what I am wanting to do. Not sure how to find that out I am hoping some knowledgeable gear-head on here will know. I hope so cause that would be the perfect location for what I have in mind.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Why not find a way to mount your business card holder in that useless hole in front of the shifter? I would not risk putting it anywhere near any air bag.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea except I will have 3 card holders actually probably will use money clips and I want them highly visible to all the constant stream of riders and if they are interested they can ask or take one and I am not pushing it on them. I use that worthless hole for my wallet works perfect then I am not getting a back problem by sitting on it. My cell phone is slightly to big to go there unfortunately but i have it normally in a cell phone holder mounted off the vent. Thanks for the idea, maybe someone that has wrecked a cruze can tell me how and where it deploys? If not I will just have to choose safety first.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Sure the 10 airbags can harm you or your passenger, but they can also save your life! If you modify your car the passenger can sue you and the Insurance can be voided with no legal recourse if you had an airbag injury. I was hit 10 months ago by a Semi and not one air bag went off, as designed!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Here's a photo of a partially deployed Cruze steering wheel airbag, plastic hinges out.

Shop manual only shows how to replace it, no details, as usual, just snaps in, but have to compress two springs to release after disabling the system so you don't kill yourself.

Sure taught myself not to drive cross handed, could kill myself with my own fist.

Apparent, each airbag has its own inertia sensor, just pages and pages in the manual as how to troubleshoot.

88 Supra has none, 92 DeVille, one, 04 Cavalier 2, and Cruse has 10! Increasing at an exponent rate, next vehicle should have a hundred.

Have to check with the law to learn if my six year old daughter can ride with me in the passenger front seat in the Supra with no airbags. Six years old already, and never saw the front seat of any vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a photo of a partially deployed Cruze steering wheel airbag, plastic hinges out.

Shop manual only shows how to replace it, no details, as usual, just snaps in, but have to compress two springs to release after disabling the system so you don't kill yourself.

Sure taught myself not to drive cross handed, could kill myself with my own fist.

Apparent, each airbag has its own inertia sensor, just pages and pages in the manual as how to troubleshoot.

88 Supra has none, 92 DeVille, one, 04 Cavalier 2, and Cruse has 10! Increasing at an exponent rate, next vehicle should have a hundred.

Have to check with the law to learn if my six year old daughter can ride with me in the passenger front seat in the Supra with no airbags. Six years old already, and never saw the front seat of any vehicle.
Thanks that is helpful and funny what you said and so true. If the other side had done that I would know for sure. They must have it on the inside pre-stressed or grooved so it splits open and folds out. What caused partial deployment when I am working on things I have paused before to think maybe I should take the fuse out before I tinker in that area..

Just to clarify I have no intentions of tampering with the system and what I am talking about is mounting something flat at the top edge of where I think it will deploy. I have family members that like to put their feet up on the dash while traveling and I have often wondered how badly that would break their legs and feet if it went off.

Eddie sorry to hear that, sounds like you survived! What car were you driving? Yeah airbags are a great thing and most of the time they help in a wreck there are times they cause more damage or kill someone. I wear glasses and I do not look forward to having them shoved violently into my face! I also notice sometimes the way I hold the wheel would not be good and try to move to location where deployment would only burn the heck out of my forearms.

I asked gm dealer if my vin was included in the airbag recall they said it was not. I do not completely trust them I hope they are right. On other things I found out the websites where you can put in your vin will say you are not in recall you should call dealer to verify. I have had them look it up and said it was.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Eddie sorry to hear that, sounds like you survived! What car were you driving? Yeah airbags are a great thing and most of the time they help in a wreck there are times they cause more damage or kill someone. I wear glasses and I do not look forward to having them shoved violently into my face! I also notice sometimes the way I hold the wheel would not be good and try to move to location where deployment would only burn the heck out of my forearms.

I asked gm dealer if my vin was included in the airbag recall they said it was not. I do not completely trust them I hope they are right. On other things I found out the websites where you can put in your vin will say you are not in recall you should call dealer to verify. I have had them look it up and said it was.
Yes I did survive but months later I still hurt like crap. Slower speed was a factor in my crash so I wasn't upset they didn't deploy, well until the side window exploded, blew up like a bomb. I never knew auto glass could do that unlike the windshield that rained powdered glass for the most part. If you are going too slow they are designed to not trigger. Little did I know the Semi would continue on, pick me up and take me with for a hurtful ride. It was a Sonata and crushed in quite well, well up until the end when it started slicing into the car. I miss that car yet somehow appreciate the 10 bags in the new CRUZE. I only had 6 for all the good it didn't do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts