Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Cruze has a 1.4L engine in it with 87,396 miles (140,651 Km) on it. I bought the car used when it had 76,488 miles (123,095 Km) and have no idea if the OE automatic transmission fluid is in there.

I've been reading on here that I should replace it every 45k miles and I've been reading the 'How to:' on flushing the system, but I'm nervous that I'm too late and my transmission is already damaged.

I haven't noticed the transmission slipping at all and I don't think there is anything wrong so far but I don't know that there is a way I can tell myself. Should I even risk changing it at this point? Is there a way I can have a flush done by another shop while changing most of the fluid?

·
Registered
635 Posts
My 2013 Cruze has a 1.4L engine in it with 87,396 miles (140,651 Km) on it. I bought the car used when it had 76,488 miles (123,095 Km) and have no idea if the OE automatic transmission fluid is in there.

I've been reading on here that I should replace it every 45k miles and I've been reading the 'How to:' on flushing the system, but I'm nervous that I'm too late and my transmission is already damaged.

I haven't noticed the transmission slipping at all and I don't think there is anything wrong so far but I don't know that there is a way I can tell myself. Should I even risk changing it at this point? Is there a way I can have a flush done by another shop while changing most of the fluid?

If it's worth it for you, you can run a carfax to check if it has been done, chances are very good the previous owner would have had it done by a dealer, which would have sent that information in. It's never too late, but damage could have been done

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts

If you dont know the maintenance history I wouldn't do the transmission flush.Take some oil out and if it smells badly burn or find some debris just leave it like that.If oil smells ok just take 4qts out and replace them with (ACDELCO 10-9394) I did this to mine a year ago and transmission keeps working fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
If the fluid is obviously bad, leave it in???

To my way of thinking, when you bought the car with 70k on the clock would have been the time to check the oil life monitor, change the air, fuel and cabin air filters, change the coolant, transmission fluid and brake fluid.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Considering no one believes in maintanance. I'd have ALL the fluids changed regardless of condition. Along with spark plugs and fuel filter.

HOWEVER, if something weren't right then I'd take it to an appropriate shop for diagnosis and analysis. I'd have a tranny flush. But that's just me. If the trans were acting up. I'd have it diagnosed and repairs quoted.

Youi change the oil in your engine. It's completely drained and refilled with a new filter. So why only change 25% of the trans fluid?????

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
I've been reading on here that I should replace it every 45k miles

That's true if you're following the "severe" schedule. That would apply to cars that:

• Mainly driven in heavy city traffic in hot weather.
  • Mainly driven in hilly or mountainous terrain.
  • Frequently towing a trailer.
  • Used for high speed or competitive driving.
  • Used for taxi, police, or delivery service.

Otherwise, the "normal" schedule applies. Transmission oil change doesn't come due until 97,500 miles.

So, no, I doubt if your transmission is already ruined. Go ahead and change the oil and move on.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
If you change the oil, there's a risk that the transmission will start acting up - making it harder to sell the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you change the oil, there's a risk that the transmission will start acting up - making it harder to sell the car.
I use to work at a transmission shop in the 90's and there was truth to that scenario. Of course, back then most of the work coming in were still 3spd autos, the other half were the 4spd auto transaxles of old technology. Most of our "bread and butter" was actually from luring customers in for our "maintenance special" just to get people to change their transmission fluid. Not all, but most had never done it before and already had close to or over 100k miles. Most every pan I dropped would have burnt fluid and clutch material which we would show the customer to either scare them into an immediate overhaul, otherwise we knew chances were they'd be back soon due to some kind of shifting issues and we'd get an overhaul out of them later. Something to do with worn clutches and fresh fluid that don't mix well, unless you keep up with recommended maintenance.

In the case of the OP, I would change the fluid. I don't see any issue doing so at this point and in this case. Furthermore, technology with the way transmissions are built and the technology in fluids these days are helping things last longer and more durable than what they use to be.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
If the trans is going. The trans is going.

Don't matter if same fluid or fresh fluid. It's just a matter of time.

Be nice if today's transmission were still built the same as yesteryear. At least with a serviceable pan and filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts