Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to run both exhaust parts on the stock tune? People keep telling me that I'll wreck my engine if I don't have these tuned into the ECM...any truth to that? Jw.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Exhaust pipes should not matter. You may get a check engine light because of a missing cat (which is what the tune takes care of) but otherwise it will only improve upon your overall airflow.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just installed the down and midpipe combo from ZZP and have been enjoying it for a few days now. No problems here. I bought their combo that claims to not throw a code, I haven't seen one yet but have only but ~200 miles on the new exhaust so far. Only time will tell if I get the check engine light.

·
Registered
90 Posts
any follow up with this? im thinking of purchasing the catless midpipe and a magnaflow system to help with sound but not quite ready to tune yet due to my active warrnty

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm fully decatted - here's my experience. I did the mid pipe first. No check engine light, no noticeable difference in sound or power (no change in tune). I did the catless O2 housing second. After a couple drive cycles, P0420 DTC popped. Since I was in the process of tuning for 93 octane, I just disabled it. The 93 octane tune currently sits at 17 psi and 1-2* more peak spark advance. To me, it feels nothing like stock.

The gains may not be extremely noticeable because let's face it, it's a 138hp engine stock - -even if you gain 5-10%, it's not a whole lot to the butt dyno. But on ANY turbocharged gas engine, there will be torque/power gains by eliminating cats. Individuals need to decide if that gain is worth the price.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I'm running with no cats on my car as well, ZZP DP and Mid-pipe with a 2.5" straight pipe and I have no complaints I'm tuned @15psi. I didn't notice an issue before I was tuned but I got a tune pretty soon after I got my exhaust done... You're gonna pay for a little bit of performance typically without a turbo upgrade it's just a mild performance increase on these cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I as well am getting the ZZP DP and Midpipe in the next two days, I don't instantly need to get a tune once the exhaust pieces are installed??

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the ZZP DP and MP, I ran the vehicle with the stock tune and didn't notice any problems; however, I did get a check engine so I disabled the SES. I was actually surprised with the power increase, combined with doing the airbox mod. The torque sensor went close to 170 ft-lbs, so that correlated with my butt dyno. I've since pushed past the stock injectors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I as well am getting the ZZP DP and Midpipe in the next two days, I don't instantly need to get a tune once the exhaust pieces are installed??
Make sure the V-band clamp is lubed a little (dry lube?) so it will help the pipes settle. I think the factory procedure is lightly torque the v-band, torque everything else, then re-torque the v-band to 115 in-lbs. It also says replace the V-band clamp. I had mine come loose after the first few long drives (re-torquing in between). I then re-torque about every 1000 miles.

I purchased a Vibrant clamp, if it works I'll share the experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts