Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Question for those with aftermarket headunits...

641 5
I'm going to be installing an aftermarket headunit in my Cruze. I don't use most of my factory features. I do use Siriusxm but I know I'll need a reciever for that.

1. Onstar is ending at the end of the year.
2. I don't use my steering wheel audio controls.
3. I don't really care about warning chimes.
4. I never use retained accessory power.

Do I need a wiring kit given these facts?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,018 Posts
I mean, they don't cost all that much anymore and make wiring a whole lot easier and don't require hacking up your factory harness...

·
The Nuclear Option
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
COTM Winner
7,018 Posts
The wiring kits I'm looking at are close to $200 retail.

Am I looking at the wrong thing?
You should be able to get significantly cheaper ones if you don't want to retain On-Star - Crutchfield lists a number of them.

But I mean, IMO $200 is worthwhile to lose zero functionality - it's why we still have the stock 7" MyLink unit, because I want Android Auto but have zero appetite to remove the CD player functionality.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be able to get significantly cheaper ones if you don't want to retain On-Star - Crutchfield lists a number of them.

But I mean, IMO $200 is worthwhile to lose zero functionality - it's why we still have the stock 7" MyLink unit, because I want Android Auto but have zero appetite to remove the CD player functionality.
CD Player!? I haven't used one of those since 2008. I don't want to loose Onstar but the 2G sunset happens the end of the year so, according to Onstar it will become a phone app.

·
COTM Winner
7,018 Posts
CD Player!? I haven't used one of those since 2008. I don't want to loose Onstar but the 2G sunset happens the end of the year so, according to Onstar it will become a phone app.
My wife still uses hers in the Cruze relatively often, even though I have all of our music loaded to a flash drive that permanently stays in the car - she's got some other music that I have no interest in loading to my desktop (Adele, Shania Twain, etc haha) in order to put it on said flash drive, so those she listens to via CD.

Similarly, in my Cobalt, I bought the NEX head unit that still has CD (and DVD!) functionality. I've never once used it, but the car had it before so I saw zero reason to remove that functionality.

Reactions: JLL
1 - 6 of 6 Posts