Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up a 1900 mile round trip which brought my Platinum Pure Plus oil to 7682 miles of us. It is suppose to be good to 7500.

When I changed the oil and looked at the filter...supposedly good till 7500 miles...the oil felt good and slippery...but it was dark. Is it possible the filter wasn't good enough?

I would like to run this oil typically 7000 to 7500 and not have to change the filter till then. Does anyone here recommend a filter they think may be a better filter than the rest without being too much more expensive?

thanks,
Joe

·
2,170 Posts
I just finished up a 1900 mile round trip which brought my Platinum Pure Plus oil to 7682 miles of us. It is suppose to be good to 7500.

When I changed the oil and looked at the filter...supposedly good till 7500 miles...the oil felt good and slippery...but it was dark. Is it possible the filter wasn't good enough?

I would like to run this oil typically 7000 to 7500 and not have to change the filter till then. Does anyone here recommend a filter they think may be a better filter than the rest without being too much more expensive?

thanks,
Joe

Just because it's darker than new oil doesn't really mean anything.

I've pulled this information from an article I'll list below.

"If you're conscientious about keeping your car in good running order, you probably worry from time to time that your oil has gotten dirty and is causing sludge to build up in your engine. So you pull the dipstick out and check the color of the oil at the tip. Chances are, it's starting to turn dark, no longer the light amber color that you saw on the stick when your oil was fresh. So now it's too dirty to use, right? It's depositing sludge in your engine and needs to be changed.

Wrong. In fact, just the opposite is true. If you're using a detergent engine oil (and most modern engine oils have detergent additives), the oil is working just the way it's supposed to, dispersing the tiny particles that can result in engine sludge and holding them in suspension in the oil itself so that they can't build up. That's why the oil appears darker, but this in no way impedes the oil from performing its normal functions of lubricating and protecting the metal surfaces inside the engine. Of course, the oil is limited in how many of these suspended particles it can contain and will eventually need to be changed when it becomes saturated, but use the oil change interval recommended by your car's manufacturer to decide when to change the oil, not the color of the oil on the stick."

4: When engine oil turns dark, it's dirty and should be changed. - 5 Engine Oil Myths | HowStuffWorks

Note: Your filter is most likely fine, but at 7500 miles it's definitely time to consider changing the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think AC Delco and Wix are two of the good mass-market filters. Personally I don't worry about dark oil. That's a partial size well below what a full-flow filter will do. Now, if you want to bolt on an additional bypass filter, you might get somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Dark oil means it is doing its job......oil is a lubricant and a detergent.
It is designed to keep things, specifically carbon, in suspension......this darkens the oil.

Only a very poor quality oil would come out as clean as it went in.

The filters job is to block any metallic debris (engines shear minute metal particles from rotating/sliding parts) from being sent to the areas requiring lubrication.......anything that gets past the filter is too small to do any damage.

In general, all vehicle parts fall into the 'You get what you pay for' catagory.........oil, filters, brakes, tires, bearings, you name it.....if it is unusually inexpensive it likely is of poor quality.

I tend to only use filters provided by the manufacturer.....GM gets AC parts.....Ford gets Motorcraft....Chrysler (and Jeep) get Mopar.
Same applies to the imports.
Peace of mind for me.......many will disagree.

Rob

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It was 6 months since I changed the oil....so not too old. And this fully synthetic oil should go to 7500. And the filter was rated for 7500. I think I will run this oil 7000 to 7500. I am pretty confident I won't do any harm. The engine being a turbo I know is hard on oil but it should last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts