Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wouldn't run an additive with mmt in my gen 2 Cruze diesel. If concentration is too high or with regular use you can foul sensors or catalytic converter. Not worth the risk to me.

There are a number of fleets that have switched over to R99 without any reported issues like leaks etc.

R99 does have approximately 5 percent less btu per gallon so reduced mpg is expected.

But if the overall mileage is the same due to reduced regen and regen duration, then who cares?

I will be running R99 as a very low risk method to drastically reduce my probability of having dpf issues on short trips etc. The only downside might be getting a little less mpg, but getting a little less mpg.along.the way is fine with me and well worth the trade off.

And on longer trips I will mix in diesel #2 for economy/cost effectiveness....

Jeff
As I said, the fuel leaks common when owners switch to R99 is well documented with 1.9 TDIs. In fact, I tried mixing it 50/50 with D2 in my '03 golf and I developed a small fuel leak on the return line to the injection pump. The next tank I filled up with pure D2 and the leak miraculously went away... The common fix for people who like to use this fuel in 1.9s and chase down fuel leaks is to replace rubber parts with Viton.

There isn't any evidence that MMT fouls sensors or the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst found in our DPFs. In fact, Manganese Oxides are used in the manufacturing of some Oxygen sensors as the electrode material.

MMT has been shown to actually clean DOCs in modern diesel engines. It also reduces exhaust PM and NOX formation.

Phosphorous and Sulfur scavenging have been demonstrated during diesel combustion. Aftertreatment protection from P & S helps to preserve catalyst conversion efficiency.
MMT decreases the rate of soot accumulating in a DPF. There is also a significant reduction in soot oxidation temperature leading to regeneration
MMT was shown to reduce PM accumulation in a DPF by 20% with a dose as small as 10ppm. That is .00001%

Soot is the worst thing for sensors. It is composed of unburned hydrocarbons and when it is introduced by EGR and mixes with oil becomes a placque. This placque is what plugs up intake manifolds, swirl valves, turbochargers, basically anything in the intake and exhaust system.Soot is the result of incomplete combustion.

How can an additive that reduces soot by up to 75% be harmful?

Any study that shows MMT is harmful to catalysts was not performed on a diesel engine and is probably 40 years old. My experience using it in 4 different diesel vehicles with DPF and DOC are all positive.

I get better performance with CARB D2 mixed with an MMT additive than with straight R99. Without any side effects like reduced fuel economy and low end torque found with R99. This is a running average which includes regeneration frequency.

I was an R99 fanboy too and knowing it's a LCFS is pretty cool. However it's subsidized by the state and if people had to pay the true cost it wouldn't be half as popular here in CA as it is.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I wish I had this fuel in my area. I would only run this and nothing else.
Only if the price delta is not outrageous. It would be worth running a blend to bring cetane numbers up above the federal minimum of 40 (though you can't really find anything below about 45-47 at pumps anywhere).

If you live in California you are getting 53 cetane diesel, and 110 counties in Texas require 48 cetane (or an alternative fuel formation). In California you are already getting good quality diesel fuel at any pump so the only benefit for additives is adding injector cleaning and maybe some lubricity for the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Recently, this particular 76 has switched to R95.

Car runs about the same on it from what I can tell.

Sent from my SM-N9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also.just started running it and it does run smoother. I am using R99 here in Portland Oregon.

I have a scangauge 2 to monitor soot load in the diesel particulate filter and it is nothing short of amazing. After a regen it will normally jump to 50 percent pretty quickly and climb very slowly until a regen

When I filled up with R99 I plugged in scangauge to see that regen had happened 15 miles earlier and I was at 37 percent soot load.... I hopped on the highway and it climbed further into high 40s low 50 which is typical behavior...

The R99 is.lighter than #2 diesel so if you add it on top of #2 it takes a bit of time to blend in the tank. So I did not see an immediate result...

I then went across town and back where it started to drop and drop. Eventually getting as low.as 18 percent. And this was with in town driving at the tail end of my drive...

I am now sitting at 22 percent soot load with 150 miles since last regen...

I had 3 gallons of #2 and added 11 gallons of R99 so I was running something like R80...

Jeff

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'd use the $1.79 stuff if it were that cheap, but regular #2 is about the same as this renewable stuff. Thanks, California! Haha.

Sent from my SM-N9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep. Hear ya there. Here in the northwest diesel is still over 3 bucks a gallon and i paid 3.65 a gallon for r99.

In a month I expect diesel #2 to drop to 2 bucks per gallon or below. That
will kill biodiesel, renewable diesel and kill some electric cars along the way!!!!

Watch Tesla stock take a dump when gasoline hits $1.50 a gallon... It is down 50 percent over the last month. ..

Jeff

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tesla has been thriving on brand image, not because fuel was expensive. As soon as they are no longer "cool" to own and the everyday consumer recognizes them as poorly designed and assembled cars that are a nightmare to have serviced they're going to be in a rough spot.

The stock is plummeting because their bubble finally burst.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,406 Posts
Their stock is plummeting because the stock market is. Their stock is still hilariously overvalued considering they barely make any money. Ford, GM, FCA all make billions in profit and the stock market barely gives them a second glance. Tesla doesn't lose as much money and their stock soars - it's because they're seen as a "tech company" instead of the auto company they actually are.

But yes, their build quality, while better than it was, is nowhere near anyone else's. And people that drive them do so in order to be seen in one. That said, their powertrain has always been very good, but that's not why they're purchased.

Reactions: hordak82

·
Registered
189 Posts
We are getting off topic, but...

I was able to take a Tesla Factory Tour a few weeks ago. We met in the Tesla Factory showroom where they had a new model 3 on display.

I didn't get in it, I just looked at the outside of it and was shocked by the poor build quality. Where the body panels met there was horrid alignment. You could look at left side of car and the right side and easily see differences in body panel alignment.

Door alignment to rear quarter panel at top was off by 4 mm.

Where door met lower rocker panel on left side it was off by 5mm and in right side it was in alignment.

If I was looking at this car and it was a used BMW I would come to the conclusion that it had it been in a very bad accident. And then after the accident it had been repaired by the worst body shop you could find. Horrid....

The shocking thing to me was that this was what they had on their factory showroom floor.

My wife loves the car and the brand and would buy one in a heartbeat. Me, I love driving electric cars as I am torque junky. But I could never bring myself to buy a Tesla...

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
For your entertainment, r99 to the right and ulsd to the left

R99 barely any odor, ulsd standard diesel odor View attachment 288249
Interesting stuff. Synthetic diesel fuel (made from natural gas and other feedstock) is usually water clear because of the absence of sulfur and aromatics. It's weird to see what is essentially a synthetic diesel fuel made from biomass feedstock come out with more color than petroleum diesel fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess something good to come out of CARB madness and overregulation.

I really like renewable diesel due to reduction in carbon particulate, this means fewer regens and less clogged EGR/intake

I do dislike paying over $3 a gallon, but that's the average cost of diesel out here in kalunicornia

What bothers me the most is that even though renewable diesel has fewer life cycle emission then charging from the grid, no one really knows about it or promotes it. It's like regulatory agencies have a strong bias against ice.

Imagine telling a Tesla fanboy that my diesel pollutes less and doesn't employ slave labor in Africa to mine cobalt or dirty lithium mines.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts