Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
As an update,, with around town driving my dpf soot load percentage has been around 20 percent.

It isn't just that the fuel results in less soot build up in the dpf and EGR - it burns off more quickly in the dpf.and will passively regenerate just driving around town.

I put a tankful in my 2005 1 ton Duramax and no soot from the tail pipe.. None. Zero..... You can floor it up a grade and see zero black smoke from tail pipe. It burns very very clean.

Jeff

·
Registered
397 Posts
As an update,, with around town driving my dpf soot load percentage has been around 20 percent.

It isn't just that the fuel results in less soot build up in the dpf and EGR - it burns off more quickly in the dpf.and will passively regenerate just driving around town.

I put a tankful in my 2005 1 ton Duramax and no soot from the tail pipe.. None. Zero..... You can floor it up a grade and see zero black smoke from tail pipe. It burns very very clean.

Jeff
Really wish I could get this fuel. It could solve or at least help my regen problem ... basically from what I can tell my car can't calibrate soot levels ... but if my actual soot level were behaving like you describe, it would likely stay low enough that even misreading it, it would never reach regen threshold (other than dictated by distance). My soot literally never passively regenerates so maybe this would help it do so. I've tried every brand top tier fuel and Stanadyne and it makes zero difference. Plus even setting my regen issue aside, the EGR and cooler issues seem to be inevitable for most people, and I'd love to push that issue farther away! I wish there were literally anywhere near me with the R99, even if it was 500 miles away, because at least I could try it and see. Not that easy to drive 3,000 miles to see. Of course it's still possible I've had an injector problem this whole time which it likely wouldn't help, but GM refuses to let the dealer check my injectors. If I could get it, R99 would be an easy, harmless things to try on my own.
I know that diesel might not have a place in the longterm future but even if so it will take a long time to roll over infrastructure to electric or whatever. It makes sense to me to push wider use of renewable diesel now for an instant reduction in emissions, even if it isn't perfect. I would love this in my Cruze and in my older diesels, but from an objective standpoint it would be great to see it used by trucks, school buses, etc.

Reactions: Gen1dieselholic

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Jeff
I'd love to see this fuel offered as a blend near me. R20 would be great at the pump.

The best I can find is fuel that is 5-20% biodiesel, but they can never guaranteed the blend. I assume it's 20% in summer months, and then, starting about November 1st, it's 5% until March 31. Those are the months that the stations say their diesel fuel is treated to -10ºF with winter additives.

There is one fuel station that I can get a guaranteed 11% blend year-round, but they might have discontinued that. For a number of years the State of Illinois offered a motor fuel sales tax credit if you sold diesel with greater than 10% biodiesel, so 11% was the threshold. For at least 4-5 years that tax credit was running you could easily get B11 at a lot of pumps. I have no idea if they continued the tax credit because our state was running out of money. I mean, like, really running out of money. We've been running out of money for decades but this time it was really, really bad. So the tax credit might have faded and not been renewed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The true test is fill up a Peterbilt cab-over with a Detroit 12V71 and see how much smoke comes out of the stacks.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I guess something good to come out of CARB madness and overregulation.

I really like renewable diesel due to reduction in carbon particulate, this means fewer regens and less clogged EGR/intake

I do dislike paying over $3 a gallon, but that's the average cost of diesel out here in kalunicornia

What bothers me the most is that even though renewable diesel has fewer life cycle emission then charging from the grid, no one really knows about it or promotes it. It's like regulatory agencies have a strong bias against ice.

Imagine telling a Tesla fanboy that my diesel pollutes less and doesn't employ slave labor in Africa to mine cobalt or dirty lithium mines.
Out of sight out of mind. Go 20 miles off shore and tell me people care about the environment.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
What made them bump it up to 100%? For a while during the height of biodiesel growth you could find B99, and that was because there was some sort of petroleum blending tax credit. Suppliers were playing games with a tax credit in some sort of manner where pure biodiesel could be blended with 1% petroleum diesel and then sold. I don't remember how the numbers worked, but it was some sort of legal scheme being done for a number of years.

Until last year my state (Illinois) had a motor fuel sales tax credit for any biodiesel blends greater than 10%, so you could find a steady supply of B11 to get that tax credit. The tax credit might have been extended last year - I really don't know. The one place that I knew was selling me B11 year-round (labeled as such on the pumps and receipt) closed in July, so now I've basically switched to 100% petroleum diesel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish I had joined this forum earlier. At the City of Oakland we've been using R99 since 2015 with zero issues. We use it in all of our diesel powered equipment including Code 3 fire apparatuses and stationary emergency power generators including at the 911 call center. In fact I bought 20+ Cruze sedans just to run R99. The Propel HPR is R99 and there is no 100% RD or biodiesel sold because the 1% petroleum is required to earn the blenders credit. Renewable diesel is not a new fuel- it has been used blended into the petroleum diesel fuel supply in California since about 2009 to meet LCSF requirements. So if you have run any diesel fuel in California for the past 10 years you have run renewable diesel albeit in a small percentage in petroleum fuel. R99 does not contain 5% biodiesel as the entire 99% is renewable/bio-based. We haven't notice any fuel economy changes one way or the other but UPS feels a 2% FE increase is reasonable by altering the fuel map to take advantage of the increased cetane in their larger vehicles. Retail of R99 here in California is on par with petroleum diesel and is becoming available at cardlock and retail sites such as 76 and Propel. The reduction in regens is due to 33% reduction in PM going into the DPF. Don't worry about lubricity- this is all address at the refinery with additives. This is NOT biodiesel and seems to be a miracle fuel

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am bummed out - My cardlock here in portland, oregon quit carrying renewable diesel at the pump. I can buy it by the barrel and pay an extra $1 per gallon + a delivery charge.

Using the R99, my soot percentage on my scangauge would show 20-30% with in town driving - amazing stuff.

The closest supplier is now at a cardlock in mcminnville south of me - need to round up a 55 gallon drum and drive down there to get some... I have my cfn and pacific pride cards that will work at the cardlock there that has it. It is an hour drive from my place.

I have resorted to pump chevron running xenum nex10 additive to keep the dpf and egr clean. I ordered a case of 18 from europe and have some extra if anyone is interested. It is not available here in the U.S.A.

jeff

61 - 74 of 74 Posts